Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sources: Checketts To Drop Limbaugh

Let's check the scorecard...

Jessie and Sharpton get what they want...

Rush doesn't...

Sorry, I don't see how the cause of fighting racism is advanced by this zero-sum result.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Its a strange strange world, you have outside interests making a decision on who should or shouldn't have ownership of a team or part ownership. But that is the risks of ones perfession if you have a voice in public debate like Limbauh, or Sharpon/Jackson

This is a case of where myth and rumor becomes the reality and truth is left in the dust. Can anyone prove Limbauh or for that matter Jackson/Sharpton are racists? Certainly people can point to this and that statements they made, but regardless of what the truth is, many will say they are and an equal number will say they are not.

Perception becomes the reality. For the Rams loosing a vocal lightning rod as a part owner is a blessing. Thank God the Rams will not have to endure a Sharpton or Jackson "intervention" protest.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Let's check the scorecard...

Jessie and Sharpton get what they want...

Rush doesn't...

Sorry, I don't see how the cause of fighting racism is advanced by this zero-sum result.
    Racism may not have been fought, but the cause of bringing free agents at affordable prices was advanced very well.

We all want an improved team, right? Therefore we should work to bring in an owner with the money to pay for that improved team and will not give free agents an excuse to boost their asking price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Dragoon View Post
    Can anyone prove Limbauh or for that matter Jackson/Sharpton are racists
    Let's just say that there are a lot of pots and kettles in that equation.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Racism may not have been fought, but the cause of bringing free agents at affordable prices was advanced very well.

We all want an improved team, right? Therefore we should work to bring in an owner with the money to pay for that improved team and will not give free agents an excuse to boost their asking price.
    Don't get me wrong... I agree that Limbaugh would not have been good for the Rams.

I just don't like the way this result was accomplished.

In the end, the only person I'm sort-of mad at is Dave Checketts. He should have seen this coming and just politely declined Rush's offer to invest in his group.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I could be wrong, but wouldn't Checketts' group need a majority approval from the current NFL owners for them to own the Rams? If so, they would have NEVER allowed Rush to own an NFL team anyway, no matter how small his stake was.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Why couldn't we have just got some tennis Superstars to be interested in minority ownership like the Dolphins??

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

Maybe Warren Buffet will invest in the Rams and turn them into a money-making, game-winning force to be reconed with.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Dragoon
    This is a case of where myth and rumor becomes the reality and truth is left in the dust.
    Dragoon, you're right. And for me this is the sad part; that the court of public opinion was so quick to convict on faulty evidence. I warned this board over and over to not just assume the accuracy of what was reported as "Limbaugh's own words". They weren't. Those quotes from Burwell never happened. I know Limbaugh has threatened legal action and I hope he follows through. Burwell screwed up big time, and he should be held accountable.

On the functional side of this, I have to agree with Stephen A. Smith......any player that says he's too principled to sign for Rush's Rams is full of squeezins'. Money tends to speak louder than these so-called principles.

But what's done is done. Moving forward....

I don't know how big a chunk of financing Checketts will have to replace, but hopefully somebody(ies) step up. Checketts is a good guy for the NFL. He has found success everywhere he's gone and has been doing so for many years. I don't know the other bidders, of course, but we could do a lot worse than Checketts in the owners' box.

Oh crap! I just realized that Checketts (a Mormon) used to work for Bain and Company where Mitt Romney, a conservative Mormon, was a partner. Dang, I guess that makes Checketts a racist.
    Last edited by HUbison; -10-15-2009 at 08:46 AM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jec1521 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Dragoon, you're right. And for me this is the sad part; that the court of public opinion was so quick to convict on faulty evidence. I warned this board over and over to not just assume the accuracy of what was reported as "Limbaugh's own words". They weren't. Those quotes from Burwell never happened. I know Limbaugh has threatened legal action and I hope he follows through. Burwell screwed up big time, and he should be held accountable.

On the functional side of this, I have to agree with Stephen A. Smith......any player that says he's too principled to sign for Rush's Rams is full of squeezins'. Money tends to speak louder than these so-called principles.

But what's done is done. Moving forward....

I don't know how big a chunk of financing Checketts will have to replace, but hopefully somebody(ies) step up. Checketts is a good guy for the NFL. He has found success everywhere he's gone and has been doing so for many years. I don't know the other bidders, of course, but we could do a lot worse than Checketts in the owners' box.

Oh crap! I just realized that Checketts (a Mormon) used to work for Bain and Company where Mitt Romney, a conservative Mormon, was a partner. Dang, I guess that makes Checketts a racist.
    I agree. I really feel Rush was treated very unfairly. The media jumped on this as soon as they found out, and attached completely made up quotes to his name. Goodell didn't want to be caught in any type of debate or controversy, so he ran as fast as he could, as well as Checketts.

The only quote that Rush Limbaugh actually said himself was the quote about McNabb, which in my opinion, is no where near racist.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Thank the powers that be! What a great victory for liberal America! lol Rush is playing the victim here, because, of course, the only reason he is getting dropped is because he is a CONSERVATIVE. As if there are no conservative pro-team owners. The fact that he puts that target on himself seems to make no difference. Good for the Rams though. GoRams.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

What a surprise, politics is injected into a Limbaugh thread. I think this one's played out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12