Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By HUbison
  • 1 Post By BIG-BLUE
  • 1 Post By Truth
  • 1 Post By PeoriaRam

Thread: Sources: Gregg Williams Called To N.Y.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Sources: Gregg Williams Called To N.Y.

Sources: Gregg Williams called to N.Y.

By Chris Mortensen
    ESPN
    March 4, 2012

Former Saints and current Rams defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has been called to New York to meet with NFL security officials Jeff Miller and Joe Hummel on Monday for another round of dialogue pertaining to alleged violations of the league's bounty rules, according to sources.

It is likely NFL executive vice president and general counsel Jeff Pash will also be involved in the Monday discussions, a source said.

There is no set time for Williams and commissioner Roger Goodell to meet, though it is possible the two could talk while Williams is in New York, sources said.

The NFL on Friday said an investigation by its security department found that Williams and several Saints players employed an illegal bounty system, financially rewarding defensive players for big plays, including knocking opponents out of games during the 2009-11 seasons. After details of the NFL's probe were released, five former Redskins, including defensive end Phillip Daniels, and a former coach told The Washington Post that Williams had a similar system with Washington.

The specific nature of Monday's visit is unknown, though The Post reported Sunday that the NFL will investigate claims that the Washington Redskins had a bounty program when Williams was the team's defensive coordinator.

Former Buffalo Bills safety Coy Wire also told The Buffalo News that Williams promoted bonuses for injuring opponents while he was the head coach in Buffalo.

League spokesman Greg Aiello said in an email to The Associated Press on Sunday the league will be "addressing the issues raised as part of our responsibility to protect player safety and the integrity of the game."

Aiello said Sunday that the league would not comment on the reports of other teams' bounty systems. He added that the NFL will look at "any relevant info regarding rules being broken," saying that is "standard procedure."

Williams apologized for the Saints' program in a statement released Friday.

"It was a terrible mistake, and we knew it was wrong while we were doing it," Williams said. "Instead of getting caught up in it, I should have stopped it. I take full responsibility for my role. I am truly sorry."

Miller is the league's vice president and chief of security and Hummel is the league's director of investigative services.

The two men were in charge of the probe that resulted in Friday's findings.

A league spokesman had no comment on the matter.

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Re: Sources: Gregg Williams Called To N.Y.

Its going to get ugly imo.

NFL is a business, and this is bad for business.

Rams might be in the market for a new D-Coordinator soon.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

I think there is a legitimate chance at an unprecedented life-time ban, considering how far back this goes.

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

So... who's the best DC guy out there now?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

So the Redskins and Saints reap the benefit of dirty play, and the Rams will be the ones paying the piper.

We truly are cursed.
    gap and GROUND DOG 39 like this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

If we do lose Williams I would rather it happen now than in the middle of training camp.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    So the Redskins and Saints reap the benefit of dirty play, and the Rams will be the ones paying the piper.

We truly are cursed.
    I don't see us as being cursed. If Fisher knew about the investigation before the hire, he had likely spoken with Williams, and was willing to throw the dice.

Cursed would have been finding all this out halfway through training camp, or during the season. Cursed would have been finding all this out AFTER he had already instituted the same system with the Rams. As it is, FA and the draft haven't even arrived. There haven't been any mini camps. Williams defensive system hasn't been fully installed yet. I'd say we're actually pretty lucky.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

We truly are cursed.
    Excellent point Hub. That's the bottom line here, and the reason Im so bummed. While I don't agree with what Williams has been doing, its the fact that Williams has been caught as a member of OUR coaching staff, which hurts us the most.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

We truly are cursed.
    Cursed, or vandetta?

I will have to read the original article again, but someone recently posted that this could have been investigated last year. If that is the case, I gotta wonder if this is only coming to light because he is coaching a St. Louis team. If he stayed with the Saints, or went to the cheatroits or stealers, would this have been swept under the rug? My belief, and I would need physical proof to change my mind (pre-spygate), is that we'd have never heard of this.

gap

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    I don't see us as being cursed. If Fisher knew about the investigation before the hire, he had likely spoken with Williams, and was willing to throw the dice.

Cursed would have been finding all this out halfway through training camp, or during the season. Cursed would have been finding all this out AFTER he had already instituted the same system with the Rams. As it is, FA and the draft haven't even arrived. There haven't been any mini camps. Williams defensive system hasn't been fully installed yet. I'd say we're actually pretty lucky.
    Hmm, I don't know, Truth.......I gotta think when dirty deeds are done by another team, but then lands in our lap, that's some pretty bad mojo.

And, you're right, it's good that this did not come up later than it did. But the fact that it has come up at all, is bad for the Rams.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

We truly are cursed.
    It sounds like the Saints are likely going to lose a draft class, and it is rumored they may lose their franchise tag for the season (translation: Drew Brees is very, very gone.)

Washington is more unclear, but isn't being owned by Dan Snyder punishment enough?
    gap likes this.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    It sounds like the Saints are likely going to lose a draft class, and it is rumored they may lose their franchise tag for the season (translation: Drew Brees is very, very gone.)

Washington is more unclear, but isn't being owned by Dan Snyder punishment enough?
    Sounds like double jeopardy for the Rams. If Brees goes to one of the suitors formerly seeking RG 3's services then so much for our "leverage" playing teams off against one another ..

live4ramin is offline Registered User

If he stays or goes this is one big distraction at just the wrong time.

To tell the truth if Williams CAN stay, he'll be scrutinized merciliessly. He's toast.
    "The horror"