Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sources: Linehanís fate to be announced Monday

Sources: Linehanís fate to be announced Monday
    By Jason Cole
    Yahoo! Sports
    38 minutes ago

An announcement on the future of St. Louis Rams coach Scott Linehanís status is expected Monday, according to two sources close to the organization. Although Linehan has yet to be told if heíll be kept after the Rams fell to 0-4 and lost their eighth straight game, he is expected to meet with owner Chip Rosenbloom on Monday morning with the belief by both sources that he will be let go.

The Rams lost to Buffalo 31-14 Sunday after leading 14-6 at halftime.

Linehan, who was hired in 2006 to succeed Mike Martz and bring in his offensive scheme, has struggled to rebuild the once-great Rams offense. Last week, Linehan benched quarterback Marc Bulger in favor of Trent Green and received criticism for the move from running back Steven Jackson.

Overall, Linehan is 11-25 with the Rams. He was hired after spending four seasons as an offensive coordinator with Minnesota and Miami. In his first four years in the NFL, Linehan developed a reputation as an aggressive play caller in the passing game. The Rams offense has struggled since the beginning of the 2007 season because of constant injuries along the offensive line.
    Keep in mind Jason Cole has had his share of whiffs in the past when it comes to breaking NFL news, but I would have to think that he's close to the target here in that the Rams will have to make an announcement one way or another just to inform the fans and players.

Tony Soprano Guest

Re: Sources: Linehanís fate to be announced Monday

I certainly hope he's not whiffing this time!

We need to move on - and pronto.

One little reported fact is that among the Coaches hired in Linehan's class (year) - Linehan started with a very good core of players. With every month of Linehan's tenure our team gets worse - as he imprints his stamp.

We can't go back, but we can take action now and have a plan to move forward.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Keep in mind Jason Cole has had his share of whiffs in the past when it comes to breaking NFL news, but I would have to think that he's close to the target here in that the Rams will have to make an announcement one way or another just to inform the fans and players.
    Right- but why would an announcement be necessary to affirm the status of your Head Coach as the Head Coach of your Franchise? I mean, completely different situation, but can you imagine if the Colts called a press conference to announce the Coach Dungy remains the head coach of the franchise? Obviously that's exaggerated, but regardless, It doesn't quite add up.

What it suggests to me is that FO is in dire straits and the announcement will not, for this reason, be a public display of support.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Bar-bq View Post
    Right- but why would an announcement be necessary to affirm the status of your Head Coach as the Head Coach of your Franchise? I mean, completely different situation, but can you imagine if the Colts called a press conference to announce the Coach Dungy remains the head coach of the franchise? Obviously that's exaggerated, but regardless, It doesn't quite add up.

What it suggests to me is that FO is in dire straits and the announcement will not, for this reason, be a public display of support.
    If I had money to bet, I would be agreeing with you. I think he's gone as of tomorrow. But my point is they have to say something regardless of what the decision is. If they decide to keep him, are they just going to stay quiet about it and feign confusion over why everyone is on the edge of their seat for the next two weeks?

Marc Bulger Fan is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

I really hope this is dead on, really enough is enough. Chip has got to fire him, it's the only way to go. Especially after saying two weeks ago if things didn't change then changes where gonna be made.

For the sake of the players on this team and fans he needs to do the right thing.

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

Just Cali's opinion, but a strong one.

1. I think Scotty already knows.
    2. A meeting of the minds to let Scotty resign, and plan for the press conference.

I hope I am right, and my girly gut feeling is just that.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

If they delayed the team photo from this weekend to the next, there has to be a major change in store right? 99.9% sure I'll wake up tomorrow and read "Scott Linehan relieved of his duties as coach of the Rams".

*crosses fingers*

theodus69 Guest

Yeah, it's Linehan...........................Not some of the over paid babies who need every thing to be perfect to function. Whoever they fire , it will a long time before we reep the benifits!!!!

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Yeah, it's Linehan...........................Not some of the over paid babies who need every thing to be perfect to function. Whoever they fire , it will a long time before we reep the benifits!!!!
    Agreed.

And as much as I agree he should go right now, I have to disagree with the assertion that he somehow squandered a vast pool of talent. To claim this flies in the face of the of the view of our F.O as being dysfunctional as well as the evidence.

He failed to make the most of what he had when he had the chance. In a largely injury-free year he failed and its that, as well as the grumbling from the locker-room that got him canned.

Last year would have been nearly impossible for most NFL coaches I don't care who they are but we're seeing the implosion of a team this season and it can't be allowed to continue.

This team and whoever is left on it at seasons end needs discipline.

What's clear is that we have to see a few more firings before we'll see any real progress and its there that my hope lies.

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

That *Over paid baby did his job today, and the other*Over payed baby was benched*.
    Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post

THEFIELDGOAL Guest

Confirmed by inside sources Chip will ax Linehan. Let's hope the interim coach is more direct with things and allow this team a better scheme.
    I was going to make the article for the Seahawks game but it was more of the same stuff as the Bills game today. I would rather wait and see the result on Black Monday in the Gateway City.
    We are officially the worst Pro team in Missouri.Way to go Chiefs.

CaliGirlRamsFan Guest

I for one am tired of *Inside sources*. I will believe it when I see it.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    If I had money to bet, I would be agreeing with you. I think he's gone as of tomorrow. But my point is they have to say something regardless of what the decision is. If they decide to keep him, are they just going to stay quiet about it and feign confusion over why everyone is on the edge of their seat for the next two weeks?
    Yeah, you're right.

I don't think Cole can whiff on this one, then, can he? He's covered his bases pretty well with the majority of the article being dominated by the announced press conference, as opposed to the 5 words on his expected fate.

Crafty, mister writer.