Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Sources: Rams are looking to place safeguards in rookie CB Janoris Jenkins' contract

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Sources: Rams are looking to place safeguards in rookie CB Janoris Jenkins' contract

Sources: Rams are looking to place safeguards in rookie CB Janoris Jenkins' contract
    By Jason Cole
    Yahoo! Sports
    7 hours ago

The St. Louis Rams and second-round draft pick Janoris Jenkins still have one major hurdle to clear before reaching contract terms. Basically, is Jenkins, a talented cornerback who had been projected to go much higher in the NFL draft, willing to bet on himself?

The Rams have borrowed on a theme from numerous other contract negotiations by asking for safeguards in Jenkins' rookie contract. According to two sources close to the situation, the Rams have proposed a deal to Jenkins' agent Malik Shareef that features the signing bonus being split into four equal parts over the course of the contract protection against Jenkins not panning out with the club.

So far, Shareef, who didn't return multiple messages for comment, has declined to accept the deal that is expected to be worth $5 million, including a $3 million signing bonus. According to sources, Shareef is concerned about how he will be viewed by other potential clients (and how he'll be criticized by other agents) for taking such a deal.

Signing bonuses are commonly paid in a lump sum, the case with Rams quarterback Sam Bradford two years ago, or a two-year installment, which was the outcome with St. Louis first-rounder Michael Brockers this year. However, there are instances in which clubs opt to stretch out the signing bonus, which the Rams did with first-rounder Robert Quinn last year, or uniquely structure the deal.

If the example of New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez and longtime agent David Dunn is any indication, Shareef shouldn't be worried.

Hernandez, a Florida teammate of Jenkins', failed at least one drug test in college and watched his stock drop going into the 2010 draft. Subsequently, he had to take a highly restrictive contract when it came to guarantees. The flipside is that Hernandez, who has had no reported problems since joining New England, was given a chance to make up the difference and then some.

Hernandez, the 15th pick in the fourth round that year, received a four-year deal that included a signing bonus of only $200,000. That was a huge drop from New York Jets running back Joe McKnight, who was taken one pick earlier. McKnight received a bonus of $501,000 as part of his four-year deal.

What the Patriots did with Hernandez was give him better payouts on roster bonuses as long as he was a member of the team (either on the 53-man roster or on injured reserve). Ultimately, McKnight stands to make a total of $2.29 million at a minimum over four years. Hernandez can make $2.37 million, a total that would exceed the $2.34 million contract of former Ram Mardy Gilyard the No. 1 pick of the fourth round in 2010, who is now with the Philadelphia Eagles.

So far, Hernandez has received all the bonuses in his deal.

"[Hernandez] knew what he was going to have to take when he got drafted by the Patriots," a source said. "That was the deal, but it really came down to this: Do you want to bet on yourself?"

Jenkins, kicked out of Florida by current coach Will Muschamp after being arrested twice for marijuana possession early in 2011, initially ran into a snag with the Rams because of a dispute over a business manager. The team has since backed off its demands to stipulate a specific financial advisor, but is exploring other ways to protect its investment. In addition to the trouble at Florida, Jenkins was considered a risky draft pick because of the financial ramifications of having four children with three women (a fourth woman claims to have another child with Jenkins).

Still, some observers believe Jenkins has the potential to exceed what Hernandez has done in his productive young career. Jenkins, who finished his college career at North Alabama, was considered a potential top 10 talent by some analysts before the draft and fell to No. 39 overall.

"What the Rams have asked for is fair," a source said. "Yeah, it's not cool if you don't get your money right away, but if he believes in himself and continues to do the right thing, he's going to get his money."

A Rams source said the team has even offered to give Jenkins interest on money as it's paid. The team simply wants a safeguard and believes it will get it.

"Do you really think the kid is going to go back in the draft over this?" the source said. "After all he has been through? Look, we want to pay him and we want to pay him fairly. We're not trying to cut the money way down or anything like that. We just want to keep him focused and this seems like a good way to do it."

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Re: Sources: Rams are looking to place safeguards in rookie CB Janoris Jenkins' contr

If Jenkins doesn't take this type of offer (and he can fire his agent and do so if his agent won't take it), then it proves that he is not worthy of this high of a pick. Let him pay off his loans some other way, and reapply for next year's draft.

gap
    RealRam likes this.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: Sources: Rams are looking to place safeguards in rookie CB Janoris Jenkins' contr

It would be interesting, IMO, to know how much the Rams anticipated this situation with JJ's contract. But regardless, this is just good business protection / prevention measures.

Jenkins and/or his agent need to face reality. "Welcome to the NFL rookie" -- especially YOU.

JJ: "Am I doing things right this time?"

Last edited by RealRam; -07-19-2012 at 03:03 AM. Reason: Jenks caption

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Do you think the agent is getting a portion of the signing bonus as part of his arrangemnt? I know that employment agencies get a percentage of the contract when the get someone a job.
    In which case, he is probably making sure the signing bonus is all paid up front to ensure he gets a bigger payout

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

If I'm understanding this correctly, Jenkins stands to make $1.25 million/year for the next four years if he can avoid being cut, and he has no one to blame but himself for having given the Rams reason to be cautious. He didn't want to take the financial advisor, so now he's being asked to take personal responsibility to ensure that he doesn't become a liability to the team. It's kind of hard to take the player's side on this one.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

I think this is smart from the Rams. This I am happy with on the Rams side. It isn't like we are offering him less money. We are just making sure he will stay on track, the next 2 years. Which is smart and good for Jenkins. It might drag a week, but I see Jenkins and his agent taking it and us moving forward from this situation now.

Quote Originally Posted by RamOG View Post
    I think this is smart from the Rams. This I am happy with on the Rams side. It isn't like we are offering him less money.
    I wanted to respond to this because I think it's fun to look at the specific information, so thanks for saying this and giving me the opportunity to do so. I would also preface this by reminding members that I am an elementary teacher, so hopefully my math is accurate, but if it's not, keep in mind I spent most of last year teaching basic multiplication facts rather than percent increase problems.

The Rams' contract offer to Jenkins, the 39th pick in this year's draft, represents a 1.62% increase in total value over last year's 39th pick (Akeem Ayers). The signing bonus (in total) represents a 44.2% increase over last year's 39th pick. But how do those increases stack up with other picks?

Amini Silatolu was this year's 40th pick, immediately after Jenkins. The total value of his contract increased by 4.95%, and his total signing bonus value increased by 52.7%. So despite being picked after Jenkins, he's seeing a larger increase in his contract terms when compared to the player picked in his spot last year.

Of course, then you have to look at the guy picked before Jenkins as well, which was Andre Branch. The total value of Branch's contract when compared to 2011's 38th pick increased by 1.63%, similar to Jenkins'. However, the total value of the signing bonus barely increased at all. Branch is getting a signing bonus of $2,141,768, whereas Ryan Williams received $2.14 million the year before.

So yeah, I think it's accurate to say the Rams' deal is fair. It improves upon the previous year's contract more than the deal signed by the guy picked ahead of him, but not quite as much as the deal signed by the guy picked behind him. Conventional wisdom would probably cause you to think that'd be reversed, with the guy ahead of him getting a better increase than the guy behind him, but he still seems to be slotted well between the two.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

If this goes an and we sign him, i can see him holding this against the rams for his next contract... If he performs well he WILL make the rams pay or he would probably walk.

Rambos is online now Registered User

I think the Rams are doing the right thing here for sure!

This IMO should be the way teams sign players with issues. If this became the norm, players with issues would get drafted HIGHER in the draft. A team could reduce the risk of monies paid out by signing them to 6 year deals and spreading the bonus over six years. If after year 3 or 4 years if the player shows he has grown up, they could redo the deal and lock up the player and pay him. This also sends a message to the players in school think twice about your choices.

"Do you really think the kid is going to go back in the draft over this?" the source said. "After all he has been through? Look, we want to pay him and we want to pay him fairly. We're not trying to cut the money way down or anything like that. We just want to keep him focused and this seems like a good way to do it."
    Now this is the right way for the Rams to take control and manage JJ. It's within the rules, the Rams drafted JJ higher then anyone else would. Now JJ you needs to prove to the Rams that he will work on becoming the player and the person he needs to be as a professional football player. This is negotiating at its best. A few weeks back JJ said I don't want to hirer your advisor and the Rams counter with this move. We will manage your money for you, how does that work for ya!

We just want to keep him focused and this seems like a good way to do it.

Again just the Rams saying we don't trust you will all that cash!

I applauded the Rams FO for being creative and not just signing him. Knowing that JJ just took a loan to pay back child support, I see him taking the deal.
    Last edited by Rambos; -07-19-2012 at 11:35 AM.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I guess if Jenkins and Shareef don't like the idea of signing bonus money being spead out, they can just go with the financial advisor. No matter how you slice it, the Rams are going to have some type of method to safeguard their risky investment, something that was made clear to Jenkins and Shareef from the very start, BEFORE the Rams agreed to draft him. I'm not sure why Shareef thinks he can dictate terms here.

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm not sure why Shareef thinks he can dictate terms here.
    I think it check mate for the Rams.

According to sources, Shareef is concerned about how he will be viewed by other potential clients (and how he'll be criticized by other agents) for taking such a deal.
    So it's all about how it effects his pocket? What, he does not want to help set the standard by which players who make poor choices with talent will have to sign deals that reflect their off field behavior.

Every day there seems to be another player in the NFL getting arrested for something. This may be a way to slow that trend if you ask me.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Weather you take Jenkins' side on the issue or not, you have to appreciate the Rams' efforts to make sure Jenkins' contract doesn't leave them in a bind in case the 2nd rounder doesn't pan out.

There was a time when the Rams seemingly didn't care who they picked up after the first round or how they contributed. As a second rounder, Jenkins wouldn't leave the Rams with a huge mess to clean up if he doesn't work out especially with the new CBA. However, it appears the Rams are trying to avoid messes altogether.

To me, this demonstrates that the Rams have a true plan for the future, as well as present. I'm really starting to see now that the guys running the show know what they're doing.

by Mike Florio on July 19, 2012

Rams trying to have it both ways, but Jenkins has no real options

After cornerback Janoris Jenkins finished his slide out of round one and commenced a possible free-fall that some thought could end in round four, the Rams intervened at pick No. 39. But now the Rams want to act like Jenkins was taken much lower than that.

As MDS pointed out on Wednesday, Jason Cole of Yahoo! Sports reports that the Rams want to divide the $2 million signing bonus to which Jenkins is entitled by virtue of his slot into four annual $500,000 roster bonuses. (Technically, the signing bonus should fall between $2.03 million and $2.14 million, based on the guys taken immediately before and after Jenkins.)

This approach would protect the Rams against Jenkins doing the kind of things that got him kicked out of Florida — a place where if you’re talented it’s fairly hard work to get kicked out. But if the Rams wanted insurance against a reefer relapse, they had a much better way to protect themselves.

They could have passed on Jenkins with the 39th pick.

Once a team takes a guy with a specific selection, the team buys the contract that goes with the slot. If the kid has red flags that would arguably justify paying him less, then don’t take him with a selection that requires paying him more.

It’s really that simple. Especially under a rookie wage scale that now tilts so heavily toward the teams.

So what if the Patriots did it with tight end Aaron Hernandez in 2010? It doesn’t make it fair and it doesn’t make it right for Jenkins or anyone else, including Hernandez.

The problem is that the player has no real options, especially under the new CBA. Prior to 2011, the player could simply accept the one-year, minimum-salary tender, playing year to year and hoping to get a long-term deal by holding out while not under contract. Under the new CBA, the alternative is agreeing to a three-year deal for the minimum salaries. Which makes it impossible to hold out as an exclusive-rights free agent.

The other alternative for Jenkins is to sit out the season and re-enter the draft and hope that he’ll be picked at least that high in 2013 by a team that will pay the full signing bonus. With no income in the interim.

And so, as a practical matter, Jenkins has no other options. And so the Rams are squeezing Jenkins because they can. But they shouldn’t. If they didn’t want to pay Jenkins what he deserves as the 39th player taken in the draft, they should have picked someone else and hoped Jenkins would still be available at a time when the financial risk would have been much lower.

Instead, the Rams are trying to have it both ways. Given that the NFLPA was poised to push the frivolous proposition that the Saints were screwing Drew Brees because of his union activities in 2011, let’s see whether the union scours the CBA for ammunition to support an argument that the Rams are trying to railroad Jenkins.
    I totally disagree with his take....

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    I totally disagree with his take....
    So do I. The Rams were completely up front about their concerns, and that they wanted safeguards in place. They told Shareef if those were agreeable terms, they would draft Jenkins, if not, they wouldn't.

The Rams were forced to back off the financial advisor demand, and now want to defer money as a safeguard. Shareef and Jenkins got around the original agreement, but now don't want to defer money. Sounds to me like Shareef and Jenkins are the ones that want it both ways. They accepted the Rams terms in an effort to get a higher draft spot, but now don't want to agree to what sounds like a pretty reasonable safeguard.

So much for this being no big deal.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -07-19-2012 at 05:03 PM.

The original Cole piece and the follow-up Florio article differ on the signing bonus amount. Guess we'll have to see what Jenkins ultimately gets, but I wonder if Florio's thoughts would change if the bonus was in fact one million more in total than he thought.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast