Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    npow81 is offline Registered User

Re: Sources: Rams in pursuit of Terrell Owens

The problem I have if this happens is not really the baggage TO brings, I think he has matured, marginally at least, and I really don't expect his issues to be too much of a problem (however I think like many athletes that have these behavioral problems losing only intensifies how frequently they occur).

My problem is that clearly we are not going to the Superbowl, and have very little shot of making the playoffs. Bringing in a 35-yr old wr with diminishing talent does not bring us over the hump and takes a roster spot away from one of the 6 or so promising young receivers that we do have. Instead of developing that talent to see what happens in 2 yrs, by this move we will lose one of those players and be left with nothing in 1 or 2 years when we might actually have a chance at competing.

That being said the reality of the situation is possibly that Spags and BD know they have to sell tickets and know they have to garner enough wins to ensure they are around in two years when this team might actually be competitive and in the short term this might help them accomplish that.
    Last edited by npow81; -07-25-2010 at 02:01 AM.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Sign him. Playoffs!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Jeez, am I the only one who thinks this is agent-driven baloney to probably drum up some interest/bargaining power elsewhere; maybe The Bungles which half-way makes sense ?

Absolutely nothing about acquiring TO for $5 mill for a year makes any sense in light of what I understand as the DeSpags approach.

If it happened, I wouldn't be happy but I seriously doubt this comes to anything.

The only reason I could believe is that this is the first Kroenke move as majority owner-elect, overruling the football guys from the shadows....that would be disconcerting....

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Rams are interested in Terrell Owens

BY JIM THOMAS Posted: Sunday, July 25, 2010 12:15 am

So are the Rams really interested in controversial wide receiver Terrell Owens?

"Who's his agent? Drew Rosenhaus?" general manager Billy Devaney said. "Then my answer is, 'Next question.' "

That, of course, was a playful reference to Rosenhaus' "next question" series of answers during an infamous 2005 news conference on the front lawn of the player known as T.O.

In a more serious vein, Devaney gave a more revealing answer Saturday.

"I'm not going to get into specific names, but we've been taking about a lot of guys (at wide receiver)," Devaney said.

Not exactly a denial. And league sources later confirmed to the Post-Dispatch that the Rams indeed are interested in signing Owens to a free-agent contract. In fact, the sources said it's possible that Owens could be signed by early this week.

According to ESPN, the Cincinnati Bengals also are expressing interest in Owens. Cincinnati seemingly would be a more attractive destination unless St. Louis overwhelms him with a much better offer. The Bengals are a lot closer to the playoffs than the Rams. In fact, the Bengals won the AFC North with a 10-6 record last season before losing to the New York Jets in the playoffs.

Owens, who turns 37 in December, is nearing the end of a prolific yet star-crossed career and may want to finish it on a contending team with an established quarterback in Carson Palmer. The Rams, meanwhile, are breaking in a new quarterback, albeit a No. 1 overall pick in Sam Bradford, and have lost 42 of their last 48 games.

At this stage of his career, Owens remains a good player but is no longer a difference maker. Which explains at least in part why he is still on the market in late July. Without benefit of a strong supporting cast last season in Buffalo, Owens caught a modest 55 passes for 829 yards and five touchdowns as the Bills' No. 1 receiving option.

He is prone to drops, and some analysts and scouts feel he lacks the explosiveness off the line and down the field that he displayed earlier in his career. Those '09 receiving numbers were Owens' lowest totals in a decade except for his final season in Philadelphia (2005), when he was suspended and benched the final nine games of the season.

That season, Owens created a firestorm in Philadelphia when he said in a radio interview that the Eagles would be better off with Brett Favre at quarterback than Donovan McNabb. It was just the latest in a series of disruptive incidents from Owens and the final straw for coach Andy Reid and team management and ownership. The suspension followed, resulting in the front lawn news conference, with Rosenhaus shielding Owens from reporters by answering "next question" to almost every query.

Despite his pass-catching prowess Owens has been one of the league's most productive receivers for the past 14 seasons he has worn out his welcome almost everywhere he's been. First in San Francisco, then Philadelphia and then Dallas. The only exception was Buffalo, where he spent only the 2010 season.

Although Devaney repeatedly has expressed confidence in the Rams' young and unproven wide receiver corps, the team is considering other options, including the possibility of bringing in former University of Missouri standout Danario Alexander for a visit and a physical.

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo and Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur both were on the Eagles' staff in 2004 and '05, Owens' two seasons in Philadelphia. Neither worked directly with Owens, although Shurmur was Philly's quarterbacks coach at that time.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Action_Jackson View Post
    If Spags thinks that T.O is better than what we currently have then I don't have a problem with signing him.

Could give Bradford a number 1 receiver that other teams will respect.

If nothing else it will stop teams loading the box with 8 or 9 players to stop Jackson.
    I was actually thinking the same thing, this might not be a bad thing. Spags was w/ him when they were all in Philly and he believes both he and the team can handle having T.O. around; also it is reported that T.O. is ok with coming to St. Louis & is looking forward to teaching our young reciever core which might I add Chris actually called both "young" and "good" (guys I was in shock when I heard this, the guy actually called our WR core "good")!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I don't think that Owens would be a good fit in terms of Spags' Four Pillars, nor do I know how good of a role model he'd be as a veteran presence for a young group of receivers. But this is the report that's out there, and Mortensen notes on Twitter that both Rams HC Spagnuolo and OC Shurmur were both in Philly when TO was there.
    Ah, you beat me to it my friend, but ESPN is pushing this story as well. However he seems to have matured a little (and I'm not just saying that b/c of what I've seen on his show)(lol). Atleast he waited until after the season to talk junk aobut his team(LOL)!
    I'll leave this one up to our coaching staff, but Spag's better be careful this may make or break this season & can either help develop a young QB and recieving core or tear it apart.......I guess we'll see.

Harry S. Truman is offline Registered User

The first thing I thought when I heard this news was the same "HELL NO" reaction that many of you are voicing now.

Then, I really started thinking about it..

He really wasn't THAT big of a pain in the ass in Dallas.. He didn't cause one problem in Buffalo, believe me if he had, we'd have heard about it.

Let's face it, the WR core is lacking in a lot of ways. With Bradford (assumably) behind center, you need to put someone in there who he can rely on to make the plays. Owens has the dropsies, but when he catches the football, you can't deny his impact.

I'll go in to it with an open mind. Is he an upgrade? Hell yes.

makersncoke is offline Registered User

I think that if you have a rookie QB who is going to be the face of the franchise for the forseeable future, you need to give him every opportunity to succeeed. T.O. will be the guy who can get open or allow other guys to get open, and that only helps Bradford. Bring him in and welcome him with open arms.......................as long as he can keep his mouth shut.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Revenge View Post
    Bad character, good player. We can only have so many good character guys that suck. We need playmakers
    this pretty much sums it up.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I only made a few comments when I originally posted the article, so I'll elaborate here and touch upon some points I've seen made in the thread as well...

T.O. will not be an impact #1 receiver
    Don't confuse me; Owens would likely come to this team and immediately contend to be the top receiver. But would he be an impact, playmaking #1 receiver? I don't see it. The guy turns 37 this year and is definitely slowing down. His ability to separate is fading, and he showed in Buffalo that his production will be average when he has to put up with inconsistency at the quarterback position and offensive line issues. I think the expectation for Owens, should he come here, would be production a lot closer to what he did in Buffalo as opposed to what he did in Philly or Dallas. And if we're only talking about a one-year deal, why not let our young guys play in those spots and see what they have?

Don't assume Spags can control T.O.
    Owens may have behaved himself in Buffalo more than he has previously in other stops, but I don't think for a second anyone should assume that his childish ways are completely behind him. Yes, by signing with the Rams, you'd have to assume that T.O.'s mind knows he's going to a team that hasn't had a lot of recent success. But it's not just success that's been an issue for T.O. He's created a stink when he hasn't gotten enough targets, when he hasn't gotten along with positional coaches, etc etc. And what is it exactly about Spags that makes people think he can control that, when he couldn't even get Richie Incognito to focus and put his immaturity aside?

There is a reason no one wants him
    How many teams have come out this year and said they're not considering Terrell Owens? Basically everyone but the Bengals, and I'm not sure their personnel philosophy is one we'd like to copy. The Chargers, in need of more help at receiver since Vincent Jackson is likely going to hold out into the season, went out and signed Josh Reed instead of T.O. as GM A.J. Smith says he doesn't want any part of T.O. I understand the point that beggars can't be choosers, but the Rams disagree by making character a focus of their personnel acquisitions. Clearly they are being picky about who they bring in, and while Billy Devaney may feel the locker room is more ready to take on someone with baggage, I don't think they're ready enough for someone of T.O.'s baggage. Not for the limited payoff that will result.

T.O. could hinder the development of our young players
    Owens had problems with his quarterback in San Francisco. He had problems with his quarterback in Philadelphia. He had behind the scenes issues with his offensive personnel in Dallas. Yes, there were not reports of similar problems in Buffalo. But what does one year of good behavior out of many years of bad behavior really prove? Does Sam Bradford really need T.O. in his ear telling him to get him the ball more? Last year, Donnie Avery scored a touchdown and many fans were disappointed when he held his arm out to hold off celebrating teammates so he could do a celebratory dance. Does anyone think T.O. is going to help Avery mature in this regard? Does anyone think T.O. is interested in mentoring our young receivers and helping them become better professionals? Owens supposedly made a step in the right direction in Buffalo by not being the locker room cancer he has been at other organizations, but forgive me if I think the Rams' personnel acquisitions should bring something more to the locker room than "no longer being a cancer."

I just don't see a great enough reward for all the risk associated with T.O. For two years in a row now, this organization has made minimal personnel moves at the receiver position because they feel these guys are good enough to get the job done. So let's see if they can get the job done.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    I think that if you have a rookie QB who is going to be the face of the franchise for the forseeable future, you need to give him every opportunity to succeeed. T.O. will be the guy who can get open or allow other guys to get open, and that only helps Bradford. Bring him in and welcome him with open arms.......................as long as he can keep his mouth shut.
    Because what a rookie quarterback really needs is a washed-up prima donna receiver who complains when he doesn't get the ball and has a long history of publicly criticizing his quarterbacks. T.O. is a time bomb. If he doesn't spark a confrontation during the season, it'll be the tell-all book he writes as soon as he retires and accuses Bradford of being gay or bulimic or who knows what.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by unorthodox1999 View Post
    The current FO has destroyed and rebuild the entire organization and have done nothing thus far to hint they do not care to revive a winning atmosphere. The downside to that was not having the talent required to compete at the level as the rest of the league, which isnt exactly THEM "FiELDiNG" a losing team. If you haven't noticed the difference in sense of urgency between this regime and the last, YOU are an idiot, and no further reply from you is needed.
    When you wait until less than two weeks before camp to begin contract negotiations with the #1 overall pick....a player with whom you could and should have had contract negotiations since the end of the season, a sense of urgency is clearly not evident.

The only thing they were "urgent" about was a (pointless to anyone with a modicum of foresight) purge of the roster to get meaningless cap space. In regards to getting actual skilled players to plug holes, they have chosen not to do that, instead relying on their questionable coaching prowess while they learn on the job.

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    They cut dead weight form the roster, by definition last year was a building year were not real success was expected. This year is the year for improvement.
    There is a wide gulf between "real success was not expected" and "literally fielded the worst team in franchise history." They had plenty of their boys in place last season, and their boys couldn't come close to the 4 wins that NFL teams should expect at a bare minimum of acceptability. And while apologists may plead youthful inexperience, youthful inexperience doesn't get lit up like a Christmas Tree. Lack of talent does.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    There is a wide gulf between "real success was not expected" and "literally fielded the worst team in franchise history." They had plenty of their boys in place last season, and their boys couldn't come close to the 4 wins that NFL teams should expect at a bare minimum of acceptability. And while apologists may plead youthful inexperience, youthful inexperience doesn't get lit up like a Christmas Tree. Lack of talent does.
    Who did they have in place last year?
    QB-no
    OL-Smith bell and brown
    rb-jackson
    fb-karney
    wr- none, we still dont have anything set aw WR
    te- none, noithing set at TE
    DL- chris long
    lb- Laurenitus
    CB- Bartell
    safeties- OJ but he was inujured for most of the year

So were in your mind does 8 (9 if you wanna count OJ) people on a 53 man roster constitutes as plenty of players in place?

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

I say we are a 1-15 team with nothing to lose. BRING HIM IN! some media attention to the team wouldn't hurt much either.

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Who did they have in place last year?
    QB-no
    OL-Smith bell and brown
    rb-jackson
    fb-karney
    wr- none, we still dont have anything set aw WR
    te- none, noithing set at TE
    DL- chris long
    lb- Laurenitus
    CB- Bartell
    safeties- OJ but he was inujured for most of the year

So were in your mind does 8 (9 if you wanna count OJ) people on a 53 man roster constitutes as plenty of players in place?
    They added more than that to the roster. If you were added in the offseason leading up to 2009, you are one of Team Devaney's boys. Also, if you were drafted in 2008, you are also Devaney's boy. It doesn't matter if the player in question belongs in the UFL honestly, they were added to the team with the thought that they would contribute. If they haven't, well....

Now if you're complaining about a lack of talented starters, I'm not sure what to say except that perhaps a dim bulb is brightening behind your computer. I see the Emperor trotting down Main Street in his birthday suit. Do you?

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast