Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: Sources: Rams in pursuit of Terrell Owens

These are all valid points that Devaney and Spags, I'm sure, are discussing. Are we a 1-15 team with nothing to lose or will he be detrimental to a young QB's progress?

It's a double-edged sword. While Owens would certainly provide Bradford comfortability, not to mention he's aggressive when it comes to blocking (which will help our running game significantly), he's also getting older. Is he really going to mentor the young WRs or be a diva? I think a big question is this: Is Owens' one season in Buffalo over because he wasn't productive? Or is he gone because of locker room related issues? Was he still a poison to the locker room or did guys genuinely like him?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    They added more than that to the roster. If you were added in the offseason leading up to 2009, you are one of Team Devaney's boys. Also, if you were drafted in 2008, you are also Devaney's boy. It doesn't matter if the player in question belongs in the UFL honestly, they were added to the team with the thought that they would contribute. If they haven't, well....

Now if you're complaining about a lack of talented starters, I'm not sure what to say except that perhaps a dim bulb is brightening behind your computer. I see the Emperor trotting down Main Street in his birthday suit. Do you?
    There is a difference between bringing someone in to fill a roster spot after you have purged your existing roster, and bring someone in that you expect to help you get to the playoffs. Devaney planned to use this year to rebuild but we all know that he couldn't do that because of the new CBA. The point is that I don't think that the FO has made mistakes as was said rather they haven't had a proper off season to prove themselves.

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

We are no longer a 1-15 team. We are now once again 0-0, just like everyone else in the league. Our mission was to rebuild and we knew it would take time especially with no real CBA at this point. To bring in this cancer, known as TO, in my opinion would set us back at least two years and diminish any belief or support for the existing players we have on the roster now. We let go Barron, Holt and Bulger, none of them had done any where near the internal damage TO has done in the past. To sign him after letting them go would be a slap in the face to the remaining members of the team. I vote no, hell no and what are you effin kidding me?!!!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Because what a rookie quarterback really needs is a washed-up prima donna receiver who complains when he doesn't get the ball and has a long history of publicly criticizing his quarterbacks. T.O. is a time bomb. If he doesn't spark a confrontation during the season, it'll be the tell-all book he writes as soon as he retires and accuses Bradford of being gay or bulimic or who knows what.
    Would you please find a reference to him complaining he didn't get the ball in buffalo? Your gonna be hard pressed to find it because I don't remember seeing one peep outta him (and nfl total access tends to blow stuff outta proportion so I am pretty sure I would of heard it). And for you to say he is washed up isn't entirely true either. Right now I would line T.O. up with any of our receivers and i bet he does just as good or better. He is adds instant creditability to our wide receivers. Because he is a proven wide receiver in this league unlike our current roster (not saying our receivers couldn't prove themselves as good just saying t.o. already has). He wasn't really saying a whole lot his last year with the cowboys either. So if you could find some quotes of him wanting the ball or being a prima donna. And actually I am glad you used the words prima donna because here is the definition

the term often describes a vain, obnoxious and temperamental person who, although irritating, cannot be done without

So by your words you are saying we can not do without him. Actually the male form of a prima donna is primo uomo. He has great work out skills and always stays in shape. So I do believe he would be a lot better addition than you are stating.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    There is a difference between bringing someone in to fill a roster spot after you have purged your existing roster, and bring someone in that you expect to help you get to the playoffs. Devaney planned to use this year to rebuild but we all know that he couldn't do that because of the new CBA. The point is that I don't think that the FO has made mistakes as was said rather they haven't had a proper off season to prove themselves.
    The CBA is not an excuse. The rest of the league anticipated the capless season and prepared for it. This would only be a surprise to someone who hadn't been paying attention at all. Given how the CBA troubles DID blow up our purported offseason strategy, I guess somebody wasn't paying attention and it's probably not Demoff based on Jason Smith's contract. Maybe Devaney shouldn't have spent so much time talking to the public and instead focused on doing his job.

And considering how many of those "roster spot fillers" Deveaney has kept around this offseason, I wouldn't be to sure they were merely space fillers. Or, at least I wouldn't be sure Devaney considers them to be filler.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    Would you please find a reference to him complaining he didn't get the ball in buffalo? Your gonna be hard pressed to find it because I don't remember seeing one peep outta him (and nfl total access tends to blow stuff outta proportion so I am pretty sure I would of heard it). And for you to say he is washed up isn't entirely true either. Right now I would line T.O. up with any of our receivers and i bet he does just as good or better. He is adds instant creditability to our wide receivers. Because he is a proven wide receiver in this league unlike our current roster (not saying our receivers couldn't prove themselves as good just saying t.o. already has). He wasn't really saying a whole lot his last year with the cowboys either. So if you could find some quotes of him wanting the ball or being a prima donna. And actually I am glad you used the words prima donna because here is the definition

the term often describes a vain, obnoxious and temperamental person who, although irritating, cannot be done without

So by your words you are saying we can not do without him. Actually the male form of a prima donna is primo uomo. He has great work out skills and always stays in shape. So I do believe he would be a lot better addition than you are stating.
    I suppose having one of the few receivers who is more adept than Avery at dropping the football could be seen as a plus.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

I suppose having one of the few receivers who is more adept than Avery at dropping the football could be seen as a plus.

One of the few? If you ACTUALLY do some research before you type something then you would sound like you actually knew what you were talking about. Avery dropped 7 passes in 2010 Owens dropped 9. WOW two more clearly means he is more prone to dropping passes. In which Avery had 47 catches to Owens 57 catches. So seeing as he was targeted more and the fact he was playing outside more than half the time unlike Avery. Its much easier to not drop a ball when its not snowing or raining on you.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I see absolutely no point in signing "Terribly Overrated". Makes no sense to me. Seems to me we'd be looking for the exact opposite of him, personality wise. A veteran leader without all the fanfare, ala Torry Holt. A quiet unassuming proffessional, for the young receivers to pattern themselves after.

SLSG is offline Registered User

I think Bradford and TO gives the Rams a legitimate chance to win the west. Crazy talk, I know. But the west doesn't scare anybody.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I can't help but be curious if there's a little "I'll scratch your back if you'll scratch mine" going on behind the scenes. It is strongly rumored that the Rams will offer a contract to T.O. in the next few days, which conceivably might prompt the Bengals to up their ante. On the surface the fact that Spags and Shurmur were in Philly when T.O. was there adds a dash of plausibility. I have no idea if there is any kind of relationship between Billy and Drew Rosenhaus, but I can't help but wonder. Any running backs in danger of being salary casualties in the next few weeks represented by Drew?

Right now I'd rather add Danario Alexander (if he's healthy) to our wide receiver corp than T.O. Pillars aside, the guy's going to be 37 yrs old soon - never mind the fact he's only got at most half a pillar out of 4 going for him ..
    Last edited by MauiRam; -07-25-2010 at 04:15 PM.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

The CBA is not an excuse. The rest of the league anticipated the capless season and prepared for it. This would only be a surprise to someone who hadn't been paying attention at all. Given how the CBA troubles DID blow up our purported offseason strategy, I guess somebody wasn't paying attention and it's probably not Demoff based on Jason Smith's contract. Maybe Devaney shouldn't have spent so much time talking to the public and instead focused on doing his job.

And considering how many of those "roster spot fillers" Deveaney has kept around this offseason, I wouldn't be to sure they were merely space fillers. Or, at least I wouldn't be sure Devaney considers them to be filler.
    You know good and well that the CBA blew everyones offseason plans to hell and back. Why are players like Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning upset with their contracts? The Colts FO is arguably one of the best in the history of the NFL, and even Bill Polien has said he doesnt know the rules right now. So it seems to me that a new CBA is the perfect example of a good excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    You know good and well that the CBA blew everyones offseason plans to hell and back. Why are players like Reggie Wayne and Peyton Manning upset with their contracts? The Colts FO is arguably one of the best in the history of the NFL, and even Bill Polien has said he doesnt know the rules right now. So it seems to me that a new CBA is the perfect example of a good excuse.
    Then why were so many teams able to make the moves to upgrade their positions with the dimished free agent pool? And why weren't the Rams one of them? When the rest of the division had "backup" plans (quotes because I suspect they were actually primary strategies) in place for free agency and trades, the Rams front office has no excuse for its own failures.

Quote Originally Posted by sjacksonrules View Post
    One of the few? If you ACTUALLY do some research before you type something then you would sound like you actually knew what you were talking about. Avery dropped 7 passes in 2010 Owens dropped 9. WOW two more clearly means he is more prone to dropping passes. In which Avery had 47 catches to Owens 57 catches. So seeing as he was targeted more and the fact he was playing outside more than half the time unlike Avery. Its much easier to not drop a ball when its not snowing or raining on you.
    Owens was a league leader in dropped passes in Dallas as well. Can't blame precipitation for that.

ram1906 is offline Registered User

Some humor to the situation...I got a bud who happens to be a Bungles fan. His quote to me was " Don't get too happy with ll the TO to the Rams talk in the media. Your team is the ugly girl the captain of the football team is using to make the pretty girl jealous"...All I could do is laugh...But truly digging under the surface, this may be the ploy being used to really getting TO what he wants - playing on a contender. In a market with only 2 bidders, hopefully the FO doesn't buy their ticket to the prom too early...LOL

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The Rams' interest in Terrell Owens ..

By Mike Sando ESPN July 25th

The St. Louis Rams' interest in Terrell Owens makes sense because the Rams lack proven talent at receiver, lack star quality and need to sell tickets.

But if the team does sign a player with the baggage Owens brings, it's tougher for general manager Billy Devaney and coach Steve Spagnuolo to say they're building a team the right way. It's easier to say they're desperate and feeling pressure amid a pending ownership change. And who could blame them? Owens is familiar with the offense the Rams run.

Signing Owens was a desperation move when the Buffalo Bills added the former Pro Bowl receiver last offseason. The Bills were starving for talent and relevance. Signing Owens gave them instant gratification. Owens lasted one year in Buffalo and the organization gained nothing for the long term. The Bills' record worsened, they scored substantially fewer points and they fired their head coach during the season.

The Rams are an interesting study. They went young last season as they tried to establish Spagnuolo's program. They've added seasoning to their roster this offseason, picking up Hank Fraley, Fred Robbins and other veterans. They shipped out one of their five best offensive linemen, Alex Barron, ostensibly because Barron's frequent penalties, inconsistent play and questionable dedication didn't fit with what the Rams were attempting to build. They wanted to build with the right types of guys.

Owens wouldn't seem to fit the mold. He has at times spoken from frustration in ways disruptive to the team. Spagnuolo and Rams offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur were with the Eagles when Philadelphia suspended Owens for conduct detrimental to the team. Owens had said he thought the Eagles would have been better off with Brett Favre at quarterback instead of Donovan McNabb, implying that Favre was tougher. Imagine what Owens might say about Sam Bradford after a few rookie mistakes.

Owens does work hard. He would instantly become the best receiver on the team even though his skills have eroded.

Signing Owens could work for the Rams on a few counts:

* The lack of interest in Owens this offseason gives his next team more leverage to make sure Owens joins that team on the team's terms. Owens would not be getting a lucrative long-term deal. The Rams could release him if Owens didn't live up to their expectations.

* The Rams might feel as though they have strong enough veteran leadership now to welcome a powerful personality to their locker room without jeopardizing the values they've sought to instill. Spagnuolo and Shurmur are already familiar with Owens from their days in Philadelphia. Fraley is also among current Rams familiar with Owens.

* That familiarity works both ways. The Rams are running the offense Philadelphia ran when Owens played for the Eagles. He would know more about the offense than quite a few Rams players.

It's still quite possible Owens is using the Rams to leverage a better deal from another team. ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that the Cincinnati Bengals are another option. If Owens preferred the Bengals to the Rams -- and that would make sense based on the Bengals' superior prospects for 2010 -- it would serve him if the Bengals thought the Rams were ramping up efforts to sign him.

"One source said the Rams have gotten very aggressive in their pursuit of Owens and it's possible that Owens will sign with the Rams or Bengals within the next 48 to 72 hours," Mortensen reported.

Owens is obviously desperate. The Rams should be desperate, too.

Adding Owens would make the Rams more interesting and more talented. I just don't see any reason for Owens to end his career with a rebuilding team -- unless it's the only job he can get.

The chart shows where Owens' 2009 stats ranked compared to NFC West receivers.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast