Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Sources: Rams Still Favorites for Atogwe; Dolphins in Pursuit

Sources: Rams Still Favorites for Atogwe; Dolphins in Pursuit
    6/02/2010 6:36 PM ET By Dan Graziano

The St. Louis Rams remain the favorites to sign safety Oshiomogho Atogwe, even after their failure to reach a contract agreement with him Tuesday night allowed him to become a free agent, according to two sources familiar with the situation. One of the sources, who has spoken with Rams management in recent days, said negotiations between the sides have remained amicable even in the absence of an agreement. And even though the Miami Dolphins are making a strong push, the environment remains favorable for a deal that would return Atogwe to St. Louis.

The Rams want Atogwe back. They just didn't want to pay him the $6.976 million tender it would have taken to keep him off the open market. The two sides negotiated right up until the Tuesday night deadline and continued to speak Wednesday, and they may eventually come to a deal that pays Atogwe less than $6.976 million but more than the $1.226 million St. Louis offered. The risk, of course, is that now another team can come in and beat the offer, and the second source said Miami was motivated to do so.

What didn't happen Wednesday was the flood of offers for which Atogwe and his agent had been hoping to help them with their leverage. Teams such as the Cowboys, Lions, *****, Eagles and even the ever-active Jets had been thought of as potential suitors, but none of those teams appeared to be making a serious pursuit Wednesday. One of the sources said the Minnesota Vikings remained a possibility, but that it appeared to be a contest between the Rams and Dolphins, with the Rams in the lead.

Atogwe is three weeks short of his 29th birthday and coming off an injury-plagued 2009 in which a shoulder problem cost him the final four games of the season. In the first 12 games, however, he was an effective and consistent defensive player. The Rams have precious few of those, which is why they remain interested in bringing him back. But they're also going to need plenty of money to sign No. 1 overall pick Sam Bradford, so they couldn't afford to spend $7 million on a 29-year-old safety coming off shoulder injury.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: Sources: Rams Still Favorites for Atogwe; Dolphins in Pursuit

Great to hear that we're still the favorites... guess the Dolphins changed their mind, since I heard rumors they didn't want him.
    I believe!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Money talks and.........walks!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

What didn't happen Wednesday was the flood of offers for which Atogwe and his agent had been hoping to help them with their leverage. Teams such as the Cowboys, Lions, *****, Eagles and even the ever-active Jets had been thought of as potential suitors, but none of those teams appeared to be making a serious pursuit Wednesday.
    You know, sometimes reality is just a swift kick to the crotch; ain't it, OJ?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

My god this FO is a joke! How could you let your best <insert defensive compliment> get into FA and not pay him that outrageous price tag for one year!

He's clearly a top 5 safety and teams will be swooping down on him the minute he hits FA!

(continues failed rant..)

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    My god this FO is a joke! How could you let your best <insert defensive compliment> get into FA and not pay him that outrageous price tag for one year!

He's clearly a top 5 safety and teams will be swooping down on him the minute he hits FA!

Sarcasm meter reading: 8.7

J Way Guest

O.J, I love you man, but You are not worth 7 million a year bro.. how can he demand that type of money, when he is coming off of an injury? I could see if this was 2007 or 2008 when he was snubbed from the Pro Bowl, but what a difference 2 seasons makes, huh?
    Last edited by J Way; -06-03-2010 at 03:21 PM.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

At least he know realizes what hes worth. He will now hopefully settle for a lot less from us.

thermobee is offline Registered User

Detroit is after him and are really making a push.

rammiser is offline Registered User

So because no one has signed him yet he's not a top five free safety? Maybe just maybe they are not swooping in yet because he hasn't passed a physical which may be the same reason the Rams havnt paid him the money either. Remember Miami said they were not interested at first and now they are pushing hard for the guy. Wonder how many other teams are interested that have said they aren't interested. Afterall rotoworld is such a reliable source that whatever they say is gospel. Also how many teams just aren't making it public about wanting Atogwe? You can drop all the sarcasm you want but he is definately hands down the best safety on this team and the defense is better with him in the lineup.
    Just Fix It

Bruce=GOAT is offline Registered User

I hope the Rams get a deal done for sure! I must admit, i thought not tendering him was a very bad idea at the time, but i was obviously wrong (again lol). He is definitely a solid and sometimes game-breaking safety. The knock on him is "poor tackling angles" but he is definitely a top-tier safety that will hopefully be in Stl to begin our turnaround!

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    So because no one has signed him yet he's not a top five free safety? Maybe just maybe they are not swooping in yet because he hasn't passed a physical which may be the same reason the Rams havnt paid him the money either. Remember Miami said they were not interested at first and now they are pushing hard for the guy. Wonder how many other teams are interested that have said they aren't interested. Afterall rotoworld is such a reliable source that whatever they say is gospel. Also how many teams just aren't making it public about wanting Atogwe? You can drop all the sarcasm you want but he is definately hands down the best safety on this team and the defense is better with him in the lineup.
    Because noone has signed him doesn't make him not a top 5 safety, because he's not a top 5 safety makes him not a top 5 safety. A top 5 safety can do more than cause turnovers imo. He is a reliable tackler and stout in coverage. I like Reed, Polamalu, Bethea, Rolle, A. Wilson, and Nick Collins over Atogwe simply because he lacks the complete game imo. How useful is it to get all these turnovers when you allow an amount of big plays that are consistent with the amount of turnovers you caused. I'd prefer a player that can do his part in stopping a QB from scoring on him rather then a safety that takes the ball away. Also keep in mind that we aren't paying Atogwe for what he's done (a common misconception) but for what his play has said he WILL likely do.

As has been stated a bagillion times he's coming off a shoulder injury, even though I don't think its a big deal, that, along with being 29 and seeing his moneymaker (turnovers) take a nose dive, doesn't warrant the amount of attention he would have gotten 2-3 years ago nor the contract he would have commanded. I'd slide Atogwe into the top 10 (partly because I'm a homer), but not top 5.

Yes he is the best safety on this team, but how much is that really saying? You can infer all you want about why a team isn't going nuts over Atogwe but reality is, it looks like only a handful of teams are showing interest. I'd say this is due to how late Atogwe has gone onto the market and the amount of money he's asking for. The Rams are supposedly still the one's offering the most money, just not 7mill...

Didn't say Atogwe wasn't good or I didn't want him, just saying he's not a top 5 imo.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Because noone has signed him doesn't make him not a top 5 safety, because he's not a top 5 safety makes him not a top 5 safety. A top 5 safety can do more than cause turnovers imo. He is a reliable tackler and stout in coverage. I like Reed, Polamalu, Bethea, Rolle, A. Wilson, and Nick Collins over Atogwe simply because he lacks the complete game imo. How useful is it to get all these turnovers when you allow an amount of big plays that are consistent with the amount of turnovers you caused. I'd prefer a player that can do his part in stopping a QB from scoring on him rather then a safety that takes the ball away. Also keep in mind that we aren't paying Atogwe for what he's done (a common misconception) but for what his play has said he WILL likely do.

As has been stated a bagillion times he's coming off a shoulder injury, even though I don't think its a big deal, that, along with being 29 and seeing his moneymaker (turnovers) take a nose dive, doesn't warrant the amount of attention he would have gotten 2-3 years ago nor the contract he would have commanded. I'd slide Atogwe into the top 10 (partly because I'm a homer), but not top 5.

Yes he is the best safety on this team, but how much is that really saying? You can infer all you want about why a team isn't going nuts over Atogwe but reality is, it looks like only a handful of teams are showing interest. I'd say this is due to how late Atogwe has gone onto the market and the amount of money he's asking for. The Rams are supposedly still the one's offering the most money, just not 7mill...

Didn't say Atogwe wasn't good or I didn't want him, just saying he's not a top 5 imo.
    Can you please provide facts for your mythical opinion of him giving up so many big plays? I mean it is just your opinion and I have never heard that knock on him from anyone calling a Rams game or from any of the coaching staffs that have been here. Also half the guys you mentioned dont even play Atogwe's position they are strong safties not a free safety like Atogwe. Show me proof hes a bad tackler and dont show me one on one with LT in the open field because that was one play. Not to mention he is probably presented with a lot more one on one opportunities back there considering our defense is so bad. So please feel free to provide some proof of your claims. Otherwise its just your opinion and everyone has one.
    Just Fix It

Keenum is offline Registered User

Get it done St.Louis.
    If the Rams end up signing him after all this, for less than what we would have had to pay him, it would have turned out to be a brilliant move.
    Of course for every potential briliant move... let's just hope they can get it done!

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by rammiser View Post
    Can you please provide facts for your mythical opinion of him giving up so many big plays? I mean it is just your opinion and I have never heard that knock on him from anyone calling a Rams game or from any of the coaching staffs that have been here. Also half the guys you mentioned dont even play Atogwe's position they are strong safties not a free safety like Atogwe. Show me proof hes a bad tackler and dont show me one on one with LT in the open field because that was one play. Not to mention he is probably presented with a lot more one on one opportunities back there considering our defense is so bad. So please feel free to provide some proof of your claims. Otherwise its just your opinion and everyone has one.
    You don't think Atogwe bears any share of the blame for The Rams atrocious defense last year ? While certainly not the worst offender, he made a lot of bad plays,imo.

Let's bookend the season; game #1 about 10:15 in 2nd Qtr. Burleson catches a pass on the sideline, OJ has a head of steam & clear shot but Burleson sends him sprawling with a stiff arm, picks up 5 more yds for a first down, tippy-toeing down the sideline, & adds insult to injury by baiting Little into knocking him down, drawing a 15 yder. The Hags go on to score on that drive.

Week 13. The Bears throw a deep corner to a WR covered by rookie Quincy Butler. OJ is playing left centerfield; no Bear near him, misreads the play, breaks forward, leaving QB to cover a guy 1-on-1 to the pylon.You can see OJ do a classic double take as the WR and DB streak past him. Q.Butler panics & draws a PI. Way to help out the rook, OJ.

I'm sure I could fill in the spaces between those moments to further support my position that he is not the second coming of Ronnie Lott but what's the point? You either want to be balanced & rational about the guy or you don't. The NFL at large seems to be leaning towards the former so far.

Of course, he made great plays-in those very games,actually- but to say he was some Rock of Gibraltar out there is not what I saw.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -06-05-2010 at 04:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast