hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Spagnolo Not Afraid of the Challenge.

Partial Article By Pat Kirwan of NFL.com

I got a chance to talk with Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo this week about his rebuilding project in St. Louis. Spagnuolo is not afraid, as evidenced by the release of OT Orlando Pace and WR Torry Holt, to make the tough decisions to turn this franchise around. Deciding to move on without two of the franchise's former stars is not an easy decision to make, but he did it.

Spagnuolo and I talked about first-round draft pick Jason Smith and the announcement that he will start his professional career on the right side rather than the left. I got the impression that decision may not be final; it wouldn't surprise me if Smith winds up back on the left side if he can't handle the learning curve.

Our discussion turned to rookie linebacker James Laurinaitis, whom the Rams felt lucky to get at the No. 35 overall pick. As Spagnuolo said, "He looks and walks like a real middle linebacker." Coach told me the former Ohio State Buckeye was calling the office looking for practice and game tapes to learn the defense while he is back in Ohio.

When it came to evaluating his performance at the Rams' recent minicamp, Spagnuolo told me about a particular pass play in which Laurinaitis opened up the wrong way, got himself out of position, and still made a great play on the ball.

Finally, Spags felt like talking about third-round selection Bradley Fletcher, who has exceptional size and really shinned at practice when the secondary used 'press techniques' on the wide receivers. The Rams have a long way to go, and it may take two years to turn this franchise around, but there's no doubt they are pointed in the right direction.

well its pretty clear on spags wanting size and Laurinitis to play in the middle.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -05-12-2009 at 10:19 PM.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Re: Spagnolo Not Afraid of the Challenge.

AV'll love this one. Another slobbering dunderhead hashing the analysis.

I'd guess Devaney had something to do with the Holt/Pace decisions, not to mention the second big step- the first being his own promotion to GM- in the rebuilding project, ie hiring Spags.

Smith may move to LT because the learning curve at RT is steeper than blindside pass pro in an NFL offense for the first time?...If JS moves to the left, I suspect it will be because Barron has flopped.

"Spags felt like talking about..." sounds kinda pissy to me. Couldn't get him to answer your own questions,Pat? Or didn't you pose any worth his interest?

Good to hear that Fletcher "shinned" at the camp but If that's verbatim from a pro journalist....

And, finally, there's that "two years away" thing again. Are DeSpags propagating this? Hedging their bets or just a playin' possum?

With hack coverage like that, it's hardly surprising no one in the NFL world at large is taking us seriously.

I'm fine with it but it's interesting. We had a couple of the better rookies last year in Long and Avery. Gave the rose to the most eligible young buck on the HC dating game,had no major missteps in the draft as far as we can tell so far, picked up several excellent FAs that should not only fill needs but create strengths, we have a viable QB-think what you like about Bulger but he's no Ryan Leaf,a sleeping giant of an RB ......and yet.... no chatter at all...

Calm before the storm or are we all loveblinded homers?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post

or are we all loveblinded homers?
    I have asked myself that a lot these past few years. Heck anytime I say something good about the Rams my sister loves to point out the fact that I said the same thing for the past two years. If we are as good as I think we are, then why aren't we winning games

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    AV'll love this one. Another slobbering dunderhead hashing the analysis.

With hack coverage like that, it's hardly surprising no one in the NFL world at large is taking us seriously.
    I have to admit that Pat Kirwin is one of my favorites on Satellite radio. (NFL Talk)

If this was the entire interview? It is a bit too short and not very sweet.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Not all that much info in the article, but here's what I do like about it:

Spagnuolo is a guy who has the attention of the national media in a way that Line#%$ never did. If the Rams start winning, you'll start seeing media coverage singing Spags' praises.

Now, normally, I don't care what the media does, but I do think that if the media treats Spags as a credible "savior" of the team, the players might also start buying into it. That sure would beat the mutiny that existed under the old regime.

A-Web is offline Registered User

well, if anyone would read the entire posting, and by entire, I mean the first scripted sentence, you would read;

That means, it's PART of the article, and that there is only a small exerpt from the article here. The entire article was already posted on the website at one time, and if it wasn't for the fact that it was awhile ago, I would still be subscribed to it.

As for the criticism of the author and or interviewer, if you were in an interview with Spags, and he had things he WANTED to talk about, wouldn't you listen? Wouldn't you respect him enough to let him speak on things he wanted to? It is a partial article, so you don't just think maybe that was the only part that was posted?

WoW, people read things and automatically WANT to think negatively in this world. Find some good. Score one for AV, in being someone that at least reads some upside from an article on the Rams.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Well, the Rams were the poster child for the DIY Network so by Spags saying he's not afraid of a project.......we all knew that when he took the frickin job.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

I just thought i would post this for the Laurinitis Middle linebacker part. But this discussion is good. im starting to feel at home already!

I used to visit Stlouisramsx.com but the site no longer exists. But the feedback given here is just as phenominal, at some instances a little better.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by A-Web View Post
    well, if anyone would read the entire posting, and by entire, I mean the first scripted sentence, you would read;

That means, it's PART of the article, and that there is only a small exerpt from the article here. The entire article was already posted on the website at one time, and if it wasn't for the fact that it was awhile ago, I would still be subscribed to it.

As for the criticism of the author and or interviewer, if you were in an interview with Spags, and he had things he WANTED to talk about, wouldn't you listen? Wouldn't you respect him enough to let him speak on things he wanted to? It is a partial article, so you don't just think maybe that was the only part that was posted?

WoW, people read things and automatically WANT to think negatively in this world. Find some good. Score one for AV, in being someone that at least reads some upside from an article on the Rams.
    If by being "negative" you mean frustrated that Kirwan inaccurately heaps both responsibility and potential credit for a Rams resurgence entirely on Spags, then I guess I'm negative.Maybe there was more info and nuanced analysis in the rest of the story but it wouldn't make his points about Spags being anything like solely responsible for the off season personnel decisions or that J Smith might move to LT because it would be easier or putting a timeframe on the completion of the project any more sound to me.

I don't think being an informed and critical reader is the same as whining negatively about The Rams getting no respect in the media. I just don't.

Imo,there is a more complex and intriguing story that merits telling more than this poster boy puff piece about Spags. I think,knowing Spags' team first mantra, that he would have tried to direct the conversation to talk of the players rather than this superficial rubbish.

Hence my sensing an undertone of pissiness in Kirwan's article.I'd guess he didn't like Spags' rebuff of his puff, if you will. LOL

No, I don't agree that a pro journalist should allow a subject to totally control the content of an interview. I'd call that a prepared statement,not an interview.But I'm glad that it seems Spags ,I suspect,ignored the softballs and chose to talk about the nitty-gritty.

The follow-up to the Fletcher comments for me would have been how does Spags see players like Hill,Wade,and even J. King( he's tall & fast but reportedly not very physical) fitting in with that.

That's interesting journalism to me. Someone who provides the info for me to connect the dots. As far as I can tell from that excerpt, Kirwan wasn't interested in having the dots identified nor does he display any acumen about connecting them on his own.

I think he wanted to write a "Spags is a hero" piece and nothing else of real depth.

If Spags/Smith or Spags/Laurinaitis become the poster boy heroes of a resurgent Rams organization in the near future, I'll be thrilled but I'll never accept it as accurate and complete analysis. Any more than I believe that Sparano/J. Long are totally responsible for The Fins turnaround or M. Smith/Ryan for The Falcons.

As I said, I think there is a much more interesting story going on at Rams Park than has been reported and it pre-dates Spags. I think Kirwan does a disservice to both informed Rams fans and his general NFl audience by not accurately reporting it.

I expect more from a high profile writer whose stuff I also generally enjoy.It does make me wonder how much of the real "big picture" I'm getting about other teams that he writes about,though.

I don't think my criticism or concern about that makes me negative. Quite the opposite,in fact; I think there is a lot of positive stuff about The Rams that is never mentioned in the press at all so it irks me even more when what little good there is becomes diluted by media spin, inaccuracy, incomplete information, and questionable assumptions.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -05-13-2009 at 04:41 PM.