throwback week

eldfan is offline Registered User

Spagnuolo, Barron talk; Barron should return to starting lineup

Spagnuolo, Barron talk; Barron should return to starting lineup
    By Kathleen Nelson
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch
    Email this Share this Print this Digg Yahoo! Del.icio.us Facebook Reddit Drudge Google Fark Stumble It!

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo met with offensive tackle Alex Barron on Monday morning to discuss again his reasons for pulling Barron from Sunday’s game after being called for an illegal formation. The infraction occurred late in the second quarter of the Rams’ 35-0 loss to San Francisco, and Barron didn’t return.

“Alex and I spoke this morning. It will remain between Alex and I,” Spagnuolo said. “I have my reasons for what I did. They’ve been expressed to the team as well as Alex. Like I told Alex. It’s over. It’s done. We move on. We start Wednesday. It’s a clean slate and away we go. We worry about Minnesota.”

Spagnuolo said Barron probably would return to the starting unit. He acknowledged that pulling a player for a mistake was one way to hold him accountable but added that he didn’t want to make a habit of it.

“What happened on Sunday is not where we’re going with this team,” Spagnuolo said. “By that I mean, somebody makes a mistake, you get pulled out of the game. That’s not the issue. It was something I felt like we needed to do. My reasons will remain with me. We’ll move forward. I still believe in Alex Barron. We’re going to need Alex Barron to win games.”

He hinted he had other options for holding players accountable other than sitting on the bench.

“You don’t want to hurt your football team,” he said. “There’s all different ways to do it. In that particular instance, I thought that was the way to do it.”

:ramlogo:

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Re: Spagnuolo, Barron talk; Barron should return to starting lineup

I don't think it had near as much to do with the penalty, but more about his "I don't care" demeanor.
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

thoey is offline Registered User

I was thinking that same thing Mom. I got the feeling that he had no remorse for the penalty, maybe made an "oh well" type comment, and the coach put someone in who did care...
    This space for rent...

RamsFan16 Guest

Barron is really starting to irritate me. Some plays, he's a Pro Bowler, others, he's a Street Free Agent. His attitude is what does it, he NEVER cares what happens, and even after he was benched. He just stood there and didn't even care and was completely content not being in there.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I agree with everybody here, Barron just doesn't get it. He mopes around and goes through the motions like it's all no big deal. If it was just himself he was affecting, that would be one thing, but he's part of a team that depends on him to do his job to the best of his ability. When he doesn't keep his focus and shrugs everything off, he's impacting other players. Maybe he needs a code red. I don't see much hope for him, at least as a Ram. I'd love to be wrong.