Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RamsSB99 is offline Registered User

Re: Spagnuolo could be hit with Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thomas
    But the Rams still could request permission to talk to New York Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo if the Giants lose Sunday's NFC divisional playoff game with Philadelphia. Devaney has known Spagnuolo for years and thinks highly of him. But if the Giants win Sunday, the Rams might not want to wait.
    The above was from Jim Thomas article about Frazier as a finalist.

Today was a good day as far as I am concerned since the Giants lost. The Rams will now have another candidate to interview in Spagnuolo and Warners team (Cards) will get home field advantage against Phily. I would like to see the Cards make it to the Superbowl because I want Warner to get another shot.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

We've been on this coaching search road before. And if i remember correctly, of all the candidates that interviewed had something unique about them. Shaw and Ziggy were really impressed with the candidate they chose.........SCOTT LINEHAN!!! Please lets not do that again. Get the right guy this time. I sure as hell hope that Devaney really has that eye for talent they say he does.

UK Ramfan 83 is offline Registered User

I like poor old Haslett....

Give the bloke a crack at a full season with his own guys. Rather than a half azzed season with someone elses. Players want him after all...

Anyhow...

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post

Give the bloke a crack at a full season with his own guys. Rather than a half azzed season with someone elses. Players want him after all...

Anyhow...
    Exactly thank you thats what i think as well. Give haslett his players with Martz and Capers as hs CO"S and its a success

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UK Ramfan 83 View Post

Anyhow...
    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Haslett take over and really do wonders with this team. However, looking back at his work as a coordinator, he had a horrible ranking in that, and quite frankly his stint with NO wasn't that great. People really overexaggerate how well he did there. There's just not enough credibility for him to come back as the head coach. And to listen to the players who seemingly don't care whastoever, I'd be hard-pressed as Billy Devaney to listen to what they want. They don't want to win, it seems, so why should he listen to them? It just doesn't make any sense. They get paychecks, fat paychecks; they should listen and like any coach the organization decides to hire. Again, my heart goes out to Haslett, and wants him to do well, but my mind tells me to go with a brand new look and feel. We need drastic changes and going back to Haslett and Mike Martz is like Metallica...They're way past their prime.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i like Haslett..under different circumstances i think he maybe could still lead a team to the play-offs...however when i hear things like "the players want him back"...screw that..that means nothing but bad things to me!
    when the Ravens players said they wanted Rex Ryan to be the HC,they had earned their right to be listened to...not our mainly hapless lot who wouldnt be on a winning teams roster,let alone start!

and..he gives out this.."im a lion tamer" demeanor which is good lip service but why ruin that by saying you`d also bring along Coco the Clown & and the bearded lady ??
    he seems to defend the veteran players that should know better,whilst trying to bust the balls of the rookies who need his guidance!

so thats two thumbs and a pinkie down and i aint even started on his previous 3 years at the club nor his record in New Orleans.

Gateway Rams is offline Registered User

Spags did give up a lot of points but thats not the reason why he shouldn't be the head coach, we shouldn't make a hiring decision on one game. But spags isn't the right coach, he has no experience leading a team. and Rex Ryan is not a highly organized coach. You can get away with being disorganized when you have an all pro defense, but when you lead a team you need to be organized, if you are not, players will notice it and execution won't be as great. Bring in a coach with experience. I have confidence in Billy D, I think he's going down the experience path, like Jim Fassel, with Dom Capers, thats two head coaches for the price of one.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

I am reading where everyone is saying lets get the right guy,who the hell knows which one is the right guy ? just because you are a great coordinator with talented players( ex. Ryan) doesnt mean your going to be a great head coach on a team without that type of player.we had a guy who was a decent coordinator in Linehan and well we all know how the head coaching gig turned out, the more I read about how great these guys are the more I lean toward Haslett and his projected staff,when we won the super bowl they did it with older experienced coaches and I not sure that we shouldn't go that route again.

jjigga3000 is offline Registered User

When all is said and done Haslett will be retained. PLain and simple, why do all the interviewing you say? Because you have to make sure you're making the right decision, and compare him against the field. As they're finding out Haslett stacks well against the field. Haslett has suffered from poor draft choices, by the Rams front office.

Quote Originally Posted by jjigga3000 View Post
    When all is said and done Haslett will be retained. PLain and simple, why do all the interviewing you say? Because you have to make sure you're making the right decision, and compare him against the field. As they're finding out Haslett stacks well against the field. Haslett has suffered from poor draft choices, by the Rams front office.
    Retaining Haslett. Now Way. WOn't Happen. Losing 10 games to end a season would be a certain pink slip for just about any team any coach, not a promotion from interem coach to Head Coach. Billy D is going to hire someone from the outside and someone with experience.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I really don't care who our new coach is. As long as the name is Ryan or Spags, I will be happy. Extremely happy may I add.

I'm hoping for the Spags, but after watching Ryan's defense decimate just about anyone they play, I'm leaning more toward Ryan...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I really don't care who our new coach is. As long as the name is Ryan or Spags, I will be happy. Extremely happy may I add.

I'm hoping for the Spags, but after watching Ryan's defense decimate just about anyone they play, I'm leaning more toward Ryan...
    Thats why I have faith in Billy D. A good GM will look past one game, he will also look past a d coordinator walking into a pro bowl defense and continuing the trend. LOOK at Marvin Lewis, he was a great d coordinator with the Ravens, had them setting NFL records for points allowed and such. AND he had not done ANYTHING in Cincy. Rex Ryan is in the EXACT same situation as was Marvin Lewis, I'll give you 11 reasons why Rex Ryan and M Lewis looked like coaching gods in Baltimore. As things stand right now, would you want Marvin Lewis in here right now, I don't think so. I'm sure glad the fans don't pick the coaches. Lets hope Billy D can make the right decision and go with an experienced coach.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

You're absolutely correct, JK, about how a talented coordinator doesn't always translate to a good head coach. And you're also very right about how no one knows who the right guy is because our team is very different from every other one out there, and only the right coach, whoever he is, will get us back to the playoffs.

My point is, these successful coordinators, while having all star players, still need to come up with the plays which make them successful. Rex Ryan has to train the other 10 guys(9, Ray Lewis is trained...) to be able to cover the rest of the field so that Ed Reed can play center field and set himself up for those picks. He needs to work with the defense to learn how to block. Spagnolo needed to come up with the best way to utilize his talented front four last year to shut down one of the best offenses of all time. These coordinators had to identify the players that they needed to make their schemes work, and then get the team to draft them.

Yes, we just had a bad experience with a couple of good coordinators, and thatw as why I was so enamored with Haslett, because he seems and carries himself like a head coach. He's a much better coach than coordinator. But it doesn't mean that the other coordinators won't be good too. I just hope whoever Devaney picks is the right guy.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Couple questions for you guys who think Ryan is a better candidate than spags. How many 5 star players does Spags have? by my count 2 (not including the injured Umeyura) those 2 being Justin Tuck and And Antonio Pierce. No disrespect to the rest of the giants defense, but the rest of team are all extremely solid players. How many stars on defense do the ravens have? by my count 5 (not including the injured chris McCallisetr). Yet the Giants gave up only 30 less yards a game and finished 3 spots behind the ravens in total defense. Their are 2 elite defensive coordinators in this league IMO Dick LeBeau and Jim Johnson. Spagnulo spent 7 years under Johnson and has perfected his blitzing scheme. Spagnulo won't have as much to with defense once he becomes head coach, but his intensity that his players match on thefield is what makes him truly special and why I think he will be a great head coach. He also is a great Motivator and teacher. Justin Tuck had 1 career sack before spagnulo and he has added 22 to that total. he has taken a mediocre bunch of guys in the secondary to an elite level. He knows how to maximize players potential and that is seen all over his roster where young players like Barry cofield, Bryan Kehl, Chase Blackburn, Kenny Phillips, and Michael Johnson are put in positions to excel and play extremely well. In his first year he took a unit ranked 25th worst than the rams to 7th place and then 5th place this year. IMO he is the best candidate not named Leslie Frazier

majorram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I am reading where everyone is saying lets get the right guy,who the hell knows which one is the right guy ? just because you are a great coordinator with talented players( ex. Ryan) doesnt mean your going to be a great head coach on a team without that type of player.we had a guy who was a decent coordinator in Linehan and well we all know how the head coaching gig turned out, the more I read about how great these guys are the more I lean toward Haslett and his projected staff,when we won the super bowl they did it with older experienced coaches and I not sure that we shouldn't go that route again.
    agreed I would also like to add that Ryan HAS amazing talent on his DEFENCE to play with ..something that the Rams are missing..

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast