Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Spagnuolo gets an escape clause

Posted by Mike Florio on January 18, 2009, 2:34 p.m.

Like Bill Parcells in Miami, who can walk away with pay once Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga transfers control of the franchise to Stephen Ross, new Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo has finagled protection against a sale of the franchise for which he now works.

According to Jay Glazer of FOX, Spagnuolo’s contract includes an escape clause, which allows him to walk away if/when the team is sold.

It’s unknown whether Spagnuolo also gets the rest of his pay.

Earlier in the day, ESPN’s Chris Mortensen reported that Spagnuolo was attractive to the Rams because their past two head-coaching hires had an offensive background — and both were fired.

Mortensen also reported that the Rams moved when they did on Spagnuolo due to concerns that he’d emerge as a candidate to coach the Chiefs.

As we understand it, G.M. Billy Devaney wanted Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. But, as we suggested last night, Garrett’s salary expectations allowed John Shaw to tilt the process toward Spagnuolo, who was Shaw’s first choice.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Spagnuolo gets an escape clause

I figured that Garrett priced himself out of contention. He's making more as the OC than Spags will as the HC. Plus, I bet he will be the next Cowboys HC anyway.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

I wonder if thats why Spag took the job in the first place...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

As we understand it, G.M. Billy Devaney wanted Cowboys offensive coordinator Jason Garrett. But, as we suggested last night, Garrett’s salary expectations allowed John Shaw to tilt the process toward Spagnuolo, who was Shaw’s first choice.
    This seems to contradict a Nick Wagoner article on the hiring which says Devaney's recommendation to ownership was, in fact, Spagnuolo. It seems like someone - whether it's Wagoner or Florio - doesn't have the right facts, but one way or another we have a coach.

maineram is offline Registered User

The worst part of the article is it ends with a Shaw, Shaw, Shaw !!!

OK, Chip ...... you own the team and yes Shaw was a very close friend with yout mother, BUT your moving in a new direction and your not cutting the last string of the past.

Get the scissors out CHIP !

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    The worst part of the article is it ends with a Shaw, Shaw, Shaw !!!

OK, Chip ...... you own the team and yes Shaw was a very close friend with yout mother, BUT your moving in a new direction and your not cutting the last string of the past.

Get the scissors out CHIP !

Maineram -
    I don't like playing the "I told you so" game, but....

Once a mama's boy...always a mama's boy.
    (Georgia on her death bed; "Now you listen to what Papa Shaw tells you." Chip; "Yes mama.")
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

As much as I hate Shaw...I cant disagree with him in this matter if he really did favor my #1 choice
    SPAGS

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    This seems to contradict a Nick Wagoner article on the hiring which says Devaney's recommendation to ownership was, in fact, Spagnuolo. It seems like someone - whether it's Wagoner or Florio - doesn't have the right facts, but one way or another we have a coach.
    I don't know Nick Wagoner from Adam, but if one of them has their facts wrong my money is on Florio.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

I dont know why the hell you would want to sell the team in the first place, guess this really isnt chips thing..well, obviously..

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    As much as I hate Shaw...I cant disagree with him in this matter if he really did favor my #1 choice
    SPAGS
    I know...I'm so conflicted. I like who was selected (I had other favorites, but I can live with this one), but I hate the way the selection was made. Besides...what does this say about Devaney? If this guy was supposed to be the answer to our past personnel selection woes, what expectations can Ram fans have that he won't be overruled in other critical moves, or even worse, allowed to execute a move that wouldn't be the best one (such as hiring Garrett). If he's shown such poor judgment in selecting our next head coach, I don't know if I want this guy spearheading our draft day war room.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I want to believe Devaney's pick was Spagnuolo...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    I want to believe Devaney's pick was Spagnuolo...
    I'm with you, man. I just hope it was all Billy on this one. The last thing we need is more uncertainty in the FO even if we did end up with the man we all wanted. Could it have been to appease the angry fans from Friday? We'll never know.

Ventesette is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I know...I'm so conflicted. I like who was selected (I had other favorites, but I can live with this one), but I hate the way the selection was made. Besides...what does this say about Devaney? If this guy was supposed to be the answer to our past personnel selection woes, what expectations can Ram fans have that he won't be overruled in other critical moves, or even worse, allowed to execute a move that wouldn't be the best one (such as hiring Garrett). If he's shown such poor judgment in selecting our next head coach, I don't know if I want this guy spearheading our draft day war room.

Most of what I read said that Spags demanded total control over the 53. He may well be the guy spearheading your draft day war room.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Who knows if any of this garbage is even true? According to all these reporters, Jason Garrett was supposed to be our coach. Last I checked, he wasn't. Why do people have to focus on all the negative crap? Who is this Mike Florio guy anyway and what makes him such and insider?
    :1:

HornIt is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Ventesette View Post
    Most of what I read said that Spags demanded total control over the 53. He may well be the guy spearheading your draft day war room.
    This has actually been clarified in the media. There is a difference between control over the 53 man roster and the 80 man roster.

Devaney stated before that he was old school about this and believed the HC should have control over the 53 man roster and should be able to hire his own coaching staff. Control over the 53 man roster only means that the players already on the team answer to him and he controls who plays and who sits.

Devaney will control the draft and free agency with Spags input. Together they will assemble the 80 man roster they go to camp with. Then they are Spags'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast