evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Arrow Spagnuolo Interview 6/9/09

OTA 9 - Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – June 9, 2009

(On how he looks at the No. 2 running back position at his point)
    “A lot of competition. Really all those guys. I know Antonio (Pitman) missed a little bit of time last week, so that might have set them back a little bit. But he jumped right back in there. Ken’s (Darby) been doing a good job. We have a rookie in there. Sam (Gado). Real anxious, I know I keep saying this, but real anxious to see them when they put the pads on. Real anxious.”

(On comparing and contrasting RB Antonio Pitman and RB Ken Darby)

“I’m not going to pin one against the other. I think both of the guys are picking up the system pretty well. At lest that’s the indication from (running backs) coach (Sylvester) Croom. I think both add certain things. Again, I would say I’m real anxious to see the competition when they put the pads on.”

(On the competition at tight end)

“You have five guys there and all of those guys have shown something. I talked to (tight ends) coach (Frank) Leonard about it and he can say something really positive about all of them. I think production at that position as you go through training camp is going to be key.”

(On how many tight ends he wants to keep on the 53-man roster)

“It’s a little bit too early. Obviously, it won’t be five because then you’ll be down in another spot, but it’s a little bit too early. Most teams in the league (have) three/four. It just depends on what kind of offense you’re going to do.”

(On if it is difficult to study San Francisco film because they have a new staff)

“It’s a little bit more challenging, so you dig for film all over the place. But hopefully they’re doing the same thing with us on that.”

(On how guarded he is about implementing too much of the system when players could still join other teams)
    “That’s a good point. We won’t go deep, deep into what we’re going to do, but we’ll do some general things. More than anything you get a little bit of a feel for what the other team does, more so than what we’re necessarily going to do. But you get it on film and then when we get to the weeks when we play those games we can pull that film out and say here’s what we worked on and you have to be in this spot or you have to be in that spot. So you can still get a lot done without giving (anything) away.”

(On if concerns himself with the players having time off until training camp)

“Well, I think they do have to get away. We’ve humped it pretty good for this is going to be 13 straight weeks right now. I think at this particular point if we can get some efficient practices in here on the NFC West, I think they need the time away. I think that will be an advantage.”

(On why DL Kirston Pitman is not at practice)

“Well, he’s home getting a second opinion on that. That’s actually ongoing. I need to find that out today. That’s their option any time they want to get a second opinion, so waiting on that.”

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Spagnuolo Interview 6/9/09

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    OTA 9 - Head Coach Steve Spagnuolo – June 9, 2009

(On why DL Kirston Pitman is not at practice)

“Well, he’s home getting a second opinion on that. That’s actually ongoing. I need to find that out today. That’s their option any time they want to get a second opinion, so waiting on that.”
    Second opinion on what? Is he injured?

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Second opinion on what? Is he injured?
    Pittman has a heel injury. Hopefully it will "heal" before training camp. Hiyo!

RAMSY57 is offline Registered User

Pitman vs Darby

Spags doesn't want to pit one against the other?

HUH?

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMSY57 View Post
    Pitman vs Darby

Spags doesn't want to pit one against the other?

HUH?

They haven't even put the pads on yet. It seems like spags is giving everyone a clean slate and they are going to have to work their butts of if they want to see the field. Make no beans about it, there will be a fierce competition between pit and darby for the number two spot- just not in their pajamas.

Ram Dragoon is online now Registered User

Not a lot of noise coming out of the Rams which might be a good thing. Of course theres going to be what is said for "public consumption" and what is really said behind closed doors.

At least Spag isn't airing out a list of dirty laundry and keeping it all in house. That sorta thing tends not to work too well. Might want to ask Denver Broncos how that turns out for them--or more to the point perhaps one ought to ask J. Garcia and the Bucs how constructive that is

What doesn't need to be said, that this is a new team and most players are on the bubble. Job security in Ram camp is an endangered species. Little doubt that the players themselves realize this and even if Spag doesn't pit players against each other, the players themselves will do thta for him