r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Spagnuolo Leaves Players With Promise Of Tough Camp July 29

St. Louis Rams coach Stave Spagnuolo leaves players with promise of tough camp July 29

BY KATHLEEN NELSON
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    06/18/2009

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo bid an inspirational farewell to the players Tuesday but left them with a warning about training camp, which begins after rookies, quarterbacks and selected veterans report July 29.

"The first five days are definitely a bear, the way it's laid out, the times of practices, the length of practices," Spagnuolo said of his plans for workouts. "Typically, if you don't come in shape and in the right frame of mind, you run the risk of getting injured and not being up to speed for what we want to do. After that, it doesn't get that much easier, but it tends to thin out a little bit and they're able to survive."

If the schedule he mapped out holds, no one will be spared. The rest of the team reports July 30, and the squad will hold its first full practice July 31. He expects to hold two-a-days, preferably during the day, for much of camp, with a few night practices sprinkled in.

Dates and times of the practices that are be open to the public will be released closer to camp.

Spagnuolo said he set up his preliminary schedule based on experience under Eagles coach Andy Reid and Giants coach Tom Coughlin. He acknowledged, however, that he had not lived through the heat and humidity of an Earth City summer, so he was willing to remain flexible about switching to a few more night or indoor practices.

"We'll be ready to dance around things that might occur," said Spagnuolo, sweating less than most at the press conference Wednesday afternoon, held outside in the 88-degree heat.

He and the rest of the Rams coaching staff said goodbye to the players for five weeks, closing the books on more than three months of conditioning, minicamps and organized team activities.

"I told them as they departed that I thought we had enough character, enough talent and enough guys that are driven that we can accomplish whatever we want," Spagnuolo said. "I asked them to believe in what we built in these last 14 weeks of the offseason. Let that carry them through the five weeks of work that they have between now and training camp. When we get back here together, we'll hit the ground running and see what happens."

Just don't ask for predictions. Tackle Jason Smith and linebacker James Laurinaitis, the Rams' top draft picks, practiced most often with the second or third unit in minicamps. Spagnuolo was reluctant to say whether they would be part of the starting unit.

"I'm not going down that road," he said. "I think certainly both of them are capable of doing that, but we have a long way to go here. They haven't even put the pads on yet."

Nor would he commit to having Smith at right tackle and Alex Barron at left tackle on the offensive line.

"Everything's still open," he said. "If you saw some of the practices, we moved guys around looking for some versatility, so nothing is carved in stone right now."

The lone exception is the Rams' position on Michael Vick. Noting that general manager Billy Devaney already had stated that the Rams wouldn't pursue Vick, Spagnuolo said, "That's a non-story."

The coaching staff will remain through Saturday, and Spagnuolo will be in St. Louis next week. After that, he said, he would be in and out of town but back to stay before the coaches return July 27. Spagnuolo joked that he was already lost without the players but admitted the break was necessary.

"I think they do need to get away from ó they certainly need to get away from me, the coaches, from each other, be with families," he said. "Wrapped around all that, they still need to be working. We don't want them to lose anything in the strength development part of it, certainly the conditioning. I think they all understand that."

Re: Spagnuolo Leaves Players With Promise Of Tough Camp July 29

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Spagnuolo
    "The first five days are definitely a bear, the way it's laid out, the times of practices, the length of practices," Spagnuolo said of his plans for workouts. "Typically, if you don't come in shape and in the right frame of mind, you run the risk of getting injured and not being up to speed for what we want to do. After that, it doesn't get that much easier, but it tends to thin out a little bit and they're able to survive."
    I love this. Talk about throwing down the gauntlet and issuing a challenge. I think Spags means business.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

We haven't been tough enough mentally or physically the last few years. Maybe this will help curb that

maineram is offline Registered User

Sounds as though whoever makes it through training camp, the season will be a piece of cake.

Here's to no injuries this year during camp (GULP)!!!

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

Quote Originally Posted by maineram View Post
    Sounds as though whoever makes it through training camp, the season will be a piece of cake.

Here's to no injuries this year during camp (GULP)!!!

Maineram -
    Amen! And here's to players showing the dedication to come to camp IN shape and mentally prepared.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

this is exciting stuff for a team that's way below radar. Andy Reid and Tom Coughlin are great coaches, Spags is bringing them bothin! Might take a couple of seasons to fruition, but I'd like to say the beginning of a dynasty! What? Going to far again? So what! Hey everybody here should be excited!!!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

This hard-nosed approach is definitely what the Rams need. Spags cut his teeth with Philly and the Giants- two hard nosed clubs in a tough division, and I've said for years that the Rams need that type of mentality. The Greatest show on turf years are long gone; DEFENSE is what wins games, cliche that it may be.

I'm looking forward to Rams football in 2009.

Tony Banks is offline Registered User

Man, this is so great. The team needs a good kick in the pants. I hope the tough camp leads to a tougher team.
    :1:

Ramer is offline Registered User

I'm really impressed. I think Spag's is going to go down as one of the greatest Rams coaches of all times!