Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Spagnuolo Monday Press Conference

Rambos is offline Registered User

Spagnuolo Monday Press Conference

Spags said the James Hall blocked the FG and coaches form the cards are saying the same thing.... not sure if that makes anyone feel better about the win...

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Spagnuolo Monday Press Conference

On a play that is surely burning through plenty of rewind buttons today in Cleveland, Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo and special teams coordinator Tom McMahon’s review of the missed field goal that won them the game Sunday revealed something nobody recognized when it happened.

While yes, long snapper Ryan Pontbriand’s attempt hit left guard Alex Mack’s leg and caused the ball to trickle to holder Brad Maynard thus throwing off the timing of Phil Dawson’s 22-yard attempt, the closer inspection showed that the Rams did indeed have something to do with the errant boot.

“James Hall at the end actually blocked that kick,” Spagnuolo revealed Monday afternoon. “I’m not so sure that even with all of the mishandling they had it might have still gone through had really Gary Gibson and James Hall did a heck of a job. They made an adjustment during the game on their field goal block unit. I thought James did a good job there.”

According to the review done by Spagnuolo and McMahon, Gibson and Hall noticed an apparent weakness in the front of the Browns field goal unit. They huddled with McMahon, made the adjustment and went for it with the game on the line and the Rams clinging to a 13-12 lead.

When Spagnuolo and McMahon sat down to watch the film of the play, they noticed Hall getting push up the middle and getting a piece of the ball as it went up.

“I didn’t know that until this morning when Tom McMahon and I were watching the tape but it hits his forearm,” Spagnuolo said. “He does a great job getting through there. Again, their timing obviously was off on the kick so that helped. But I’m not so sure from the naked eye going back and forth it might knuckle ball through there (if Hall doesn’t hit it).”

Spagnuolo said he had not yet seen Hall to ask him if he got a piece of it but regardless, Dawson’s kick ended up sailing far wide to the left, giving the Rams the victory.

As is custom on plays like that, the Rams will likely send the review of the play to the league so Hall can be properly credited if he did indeed block the kick.

After the game, some grumbling came from the Browns locker room insinuating that Hall – or some other Rams – were offsides on the kick which helped lead to the miss.

Of course, Spagnuolo didn’t see it that way. In fact, if anything, he saw a Cleveland player flinch.

“I don’t think he was (offsides),” Spagnuolo said. “My opinion I don’t think he was. But if he was, it’s because there was movement on the other side, I thought.”

No matter how any further film reviews are seen, the only thing that truly matters is that the bizarre play went the Rams way for once and sealed their second win of the season.

“It was an interesting play, obviously,” Spagnuolo said. “But Tom McMahon, Gibby, James came over, made an adjustment and did something a little bit different than we had been doing during the game and I thought it helped us.”

WRAGGE FARES WELL: As expected, Tony Wragge replaced Jason Brown at center in the starting lineup of Sunday’s game.

The move ended Brown’s streak of consecutive starts at 84. By most accounts, Wragge performed well in his first start at center for the Rams.

“I thought he did a great job,” quarterback Sam Bradford said. “He came in and played confident. I’m very proud of the way he came in and stepped up today.”

On film review, Spagnuolo agreed with that assessment. Though he stopped short of anointing Wragge the starter again this week, he did indicate it was a possibility.

“Pretty good, yeah, solid,” Spagnuolo said. “We’ll see where we are when we get to Wednesday and the game plan and all that but I thought he was solid.”

BRADFORD OK: Speaking of Bradford, he had a little bit of a scare when he was left on the ground following a scramble for a first down in the second half.

Bradford left the game for one play but returned quickly.

“I got hit in the thigh, just a little bit of a dead leg,” Bradford said. “But after I got up and walked it off, I was fine.”

Bradford had no remaining ill effects from the ankle injury on Monday morning. The Rams did not put him back in the walking boot and he had no issues aside from general soreness.

INJURY REPORT: As expected, Spagnuolo announced the season ending torn Anterior Cruciate Ligament injuries to cornerback Al Harris and tight end Mike Hoomanawanui.

Harris and Hoomanawanui will be placed on injured reserve and miss the rest of the season.

Tackle Rodger Saffold and cornerback Justin King suffered head injuries but were symptom free Monday and Spagnuolo believes they could be ready to go this week.

Running back Cadillac Williams (calf) and safety Darian Stewart (neck) will be monitored day to day this week. Stewart felt better Monday as well.

Receiver Brandon Gibson (groin) also came out of the game sore but he is expected to be day to day. Fellow wideout Danario Alexander is still fighting a hamstring injury and will be limited this week.

As for right tackle Jason Smith, he remains slowed by a concussion.

“They exerted him a little today but the symptoms came back so that’s where we’ve got to be careful,” Spagnuolo said.

Meanwhile, there are a few Rams who Spagnuolo expressed hope would be able to return this week.

Running back Jerious Norwood (hamstring) and linebackers Josh Hull (hamstring) and Bryan Kehl (ankle) are expected to be day to day but could get more action as the week goes on.

Tight end Lance Kendricks is in a similar situation with his foot ailment. He’ll be limited Wednesday but there’s a possibility he’ll be ready for the weekend.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Wow.... This could very well be an interesting turn in the story...

If indeed James Hall helped block the kick yesterday, then it shows the resilience, fight, and determination to not lose.

As far as the injuries are concerned, they just keep on mounting, for the last six years now!!!

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

From the video on NFL.com you can indeed see Hall come into picture with his arm up as the ball is being kicked. The Quality is to low to actually see if he gets a piece of the ball, but he is definitely there.

FestusRam is offline Registered User

Looks like Hall made the game winning play!

Dawson Shanks Field-Goal Try

From this link its hard to tell if Hall got a fore-arm on it. Spags obviously has better camera angles and said Hall did indeed get a fore-arm on it. Either way, watch as the right side of the defense blows up the line and Hall uses a beautiful swim move to put himself into position to block the FG. Even if the snap was perfect, he still had a good chance of blocking it.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

He only blocked it because he moved his head prior to the snap of the ball. That caused the 2 offensive lineman to move early. He then blocked it off the horrible snap.

We shouldn't have won that game. It should have either been a penalty for false start on the offensive linemen, or neutral zone infraction by Hall.

What a horrible win.
    RamDez likes this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Are you freaking kidding me?! You guys are unbelievable. Just be freaking happy we won. Who cares about "would haves" and 'what ifs"? Everyone is always saying that when we lose, but when we win people have to freak out about penalties that may or may not have been called, or even happened, just so they can come out and say we're a horrible team and should have lost?

You know what? WE DIDN'T LOSE! I'll take an ugly win over a beautiful loss every day of the week and 15 times on sunday.
    laram0, Tampa_Ram and FestusRam like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    What a horrible win.
    This statement makes no logical sense.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Obviously the injuries to Hoomanawanui and Harris are bad, but it sounds as if otherwise there is some decent news- Bradford's ankle is better, Stewart, Hendricks, Hull and Kehl all possibly could play Sunday and Saffold and Justin King were "symptom free" Monday. All in all, I'm pretty happy with that report.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    He only blocked it because he moved his head prior to the snap of the ball. That caused the 2 offensive lineman to move early. He then blocked it off the horrible snap.

We shouldn't have won that game. It should have either been a penalty for false start on the offensive linemen, or neutral zone infraction by Hall.

What a horrible win.
    Sosa, I hear you. Yesterday's game will not be a tutorial for any historians to look upon and use as a reference for stellar NFL play.

But, a "horrible win?" At this point, as a long suffering Ram fan, I will l most assuredly accept and be thankful for this win. Teams have been known to use what happened yesterday as a catalyst to finally start to achieve at a level they had been playing below. Will this happen to Rams? I do not know but I have seem some glimpses and will look to see if the Rams current regime can keep this going and turn this season into something much more respectable then we have seen in weeks 1-6. We have lost many games over the years that we should have rightfully won......It is nice to see that tide turn for us. Let's hope this is only the beginning.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    Sosa, I hear you. Yesterday's game will not be a tutorial for any historians to look upon and use as a reference for stellar NFL play.

But, a "horrible win?" At this point, as a long suffering Ram fan, I will l most assuredly accept and be thankful for this win. Teams have been known to use what happened yesterday as a catalyst to finally start to achieve at a level they had been playing below. Will this happen to Rams? I do not know but I have seem some glimpses and will look to see if the Rams current regime can keep this going and turn this season into something much more respectable then we have seen in weeks 1-6. We have lost many games over the years that we should have rightfully won......It is nice to see that tide turn for us. Let's hope this is only the beginning.
    Dont get me wrong brother, I'll take that win with open arms. Every day of the week. But people are all rowdy because of a 1 point win over a horrible team which we shouldn't even have beat. The refs handed us that game, plain and simple. A false start is called, they move back 5, and hit the FG. Or, penalty on Hall, they get a first down, and punch it in.

I'll gladly take that win. But as soon as we get a W so many people here seem to forget about 4 horrible quarters of football played on Sunday (at least on the offensive side). All in all, if the refs didn't suck, we'd all be talking about Spags being fired tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    This statement makes no logical sense.
    Its true, it does make no logical sense ................................. but its right on the bullseye

Sorry but that bullseye doesnt exist. There is no such thing as a horrible win.

richtree is offline Registered User

Jason Brown was the only player dressed that didn't play a snap...

I don't know why these sports writers don't ask specific questions about the offensive line.

Here would be my questions:

#1 With Wagge at center is there any chance Jason Brown moves to Guard?

#2 With Smith and Golderberg rotating, Who will start and why is there a rotation during the game?

#3 Is Mark LeVoir a starter for this line or his his role strictly as rotational depth ?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    Sorry but that bullseye doesnt exist. There is no such thing as a horrible win.
    Q: You know what they call teams who get horrible wins?

A: Winners.
    GolfnRAMFAN likes this.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast