r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Spagnuolo Not Ready To Reveal Who Will Be Rams' Starting QB

Spagnuolo not ready to reveal who will be Rams' starting QB

By Associated Press
    Sept. 3, 2010

ST. LOUIS -- Sam Bradford will have to wait a few days to learn if he'll start the Rams' opener. The No. 1 overall draft pick certainly has appeared ready for the job.

Bradford's opening drive set the tone for a 27-21 victory over the Baltimore Ravens on Thursday night, giving the Rams a 3-1 preseason finish for the second consecutive season. He was 6-of-6 passing for 68 yards and one touchdown in his one series. That followed a two-TD effort in his first start last week.

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said Friday that he'd make a decision in the next two or three days.

"Right now, there won't be any in-depth starting 22 announcements until we get through these final evaluations," Spagnuolo said. "I realize the quarterback position is high profile, I respect that."

Bradford moved to first string when veteran A.J. Feeley, who had been the starter through training camp, sprained the thumb on his throwing hand. Spagnuolo said he anticipated that Feeley would return to practice Monday, but he wasn't sure if the quarterback was ready to take direct snaps.

In his two starts, Bradford was 21-of-28 passing for 257 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions. After the game, he wasn't campaigning for the job.

"If he says that, then I'll handle it like I know I can," Bradford said. "But until then, I'm just going to show up, do what I can and hopefully one day I will be the starter of this team."

Players have the weekend off before beginning preparation for next Sunday's opener against the Arizona Cardinals at home. During the break, they can feel good about the progress they've made.

Unlike last year when they went 1-15 and ended up with the first pick, the Rams' summer success might have at least some meaning.

"We're excited how we're jelling and come together," guard Adam Goldberg said. "We've been able to execute and come out hot."

Nobody was getting carried away after beating the Ravens, who rested all their starters. Yet there were signs that St. Louis might be ready to begin the climb to respectability.

Since the preseason opener, a dud of a 28-7 loss to the Minnesota Vikings, play has picked up on both sides of the ball. The offense, the NFL's worst a year ago, put up 36 points at New England and has scored a touchdown on its opening drive the last three weeks. While taking a 17-7 halftime lead Thursday, the defense held the Ravens to 88 yards, and the lone score came on an interception return.

"After that Minnesota game, we felt like we needed to turn things around fast," middle linebacker James Laurinaitis said. "I think against Cleveland and New England and now Baltimore, we were able to come out and get something accomplished."

Defensive tackle Fred Robbins was among the preseason standouts with either a sack or tackle for loss in all four games, including two stops behind the line in the finale. The Rams foiled the Ravens on fourth-and-goal from the 1 when end George Selvie tipped Troy Smith's pass and linebacker Chris Chamberlain intercepted it, then returned it 83 yards to the Baltimore 12 on the final play of the first half.

Overall, Rams quarterbacks were 19-of-24 passing for 247 yards against the Ravens.

"We're happy with a 3-1 record no matter what season it is," Laurinaitis said. "But we're anxious to have them count for real."

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Spagnuolo Not Ready To Reveal Who Will Be Rams' Starting QB

Is the fact that Spags isn't naming Feeley the starter telling? I'm thinkin' the Bradford era starts on September 12th.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Spags looks like he doesn't that shoulder of his.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

swag bradford ridng the bench? i think not. its in his bloodline to start

MACD is offline Registered User

"Swag Bradford"....I like that.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Does anyone really doubt at this point that Bradford will start? Feeley hasn't practiced in 2 weeks...hasn't played in 2 weeks..and Bradford has done nothing but look spectacular. Combine that with the fact that the Rams just got a new owner, I really doubt Spags will pull a head-scratcher and sit him on the bench. Even if its just for the first game, it doesn't make a very good first impression.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

Oh c'mon we all know he's starting. Feeley is lucky to even be in the NFL....no way he starts.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Oh, the suspense! It's like Bulger vs. Warner all over again...only not.

This one's pretty much a no-brainer.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Why doesn't Spagnuolo just give Bradford some praise and states that he starts? Sheesh.

Kinda seems like Spags doesn't really like Bradford

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Spags just doesn't want to "annoint" Bradford the starter because he was the first pick in the draft. He wants Sam to know that if and when he starts it's because he earned it.

That said... there's no way that he's not starting next Sunday. Otherwise I'll lose my voice booing before the opening snap.
    I believe!

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Spags just doesn't want to "annoint" Bradford the starter because he was the first pick in the draft. He wants Sam to know that if and when he starts it's because he earned it.

That said... there's no way that he's not starting next Sunday. Otherwise I'll lose my voice booing before the opening snap.

I think at this point, annointing him just because of where he was drafted is out of the question. If taken his play into account, all signs lead to him starting.

And I personally wouldn't recommend starting Feeley then substituting Bradford in mid-game. He wouldn't have a rhythm, and it would just be much better if he starts.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaRamFan View Post
    Does anyone really doubt at this point that Bradford will start? Feeley hasn't practiced in 2 weeks...hasn't played in 2 weeks..and Bradford has done nothing but look spectacular. Combine that with the fact that the Rams just got a new owner, I really doubt Spags will pull a head-scratcher and sit him on the bench. Even if its just for the first game, it doesn't make a very good first impression.
    Beyond Feeley being injured and not playing the last 2 weeks. It's plain and simple Bradford is the better QB.

Rich86 is offline Registered User

Report: Rams won't wait, to name Bradford starter Saturday | ProFootballTalk.com

probably will be made official later on today, but i just came across this.

Flippin' Ram is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rich86 View Post
    Report: Rams won't wait, to name Bradford starter Saturday | ProFootballTalk.com

probably will be made official later on today, but i just came across this.
    Expect his first major lumps this game, but his signature accuracy and excellent release should make him fine, I expect his QB rating to be between 70-85 and a 1:1.5 TD:INT ratio this season, anything good above that would make me a really surprised happy camper.