r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Spagnuolo "Praying And Hoping" For A Win, Not Suh

01.01.2010 3:26 pm
    Spagnuolo “praying and hoping” for a win, not Suh
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo didn’t wake up on the first morning of 2010 with visions of Ndamukong Suh dancing in his head. Spagnuolo’s dream is a victory Sunday over the ***** to close out his first season here.

The draft can wait.

Spagnuolo wants his 1-14 outfit “to play as a team, basically do what they’ve been doing, which is to have tremendous fight, tremendous resolve. It’s a character group of guys; I’ve always said that. Just praying and hoping to finish out a winning note. That’s what we’re all hoping for this week.”

Notes & quotes:

*Barring a major surprise, rookie QB Keith Null will start his fourth consecutive game Sunday. He got the vast majority of the first-team snaps this week.

*DE Leonard Little sat out again Friday while his knee heals where an infection was drained. He’s listed as questionable for the game. “He hasn’t gotten, obviously, any reps this week. But he’s been doing this a long time, so that doesn’t concern us,” Spagnuolo said. “It’s all about the wound healing. We’ve got 48 more hours, so we’ll keep our fingers crossed.”

*RB Steven Jackson (back) and LB Paris Lenon (toe) also are questionable. Probables are WR Donnie Avery (thigh), LB James Laurinaitis (knee) and DE Chris Long (hamstring). T Jason Smith is doubtful, and CB Quincy Butler (ankle, knee) is out.

*Roger Allen, an undrafted rookie from Division II Missouri Western State, is expected to start at left guard. He saw his first regular-season action last week after Mark Setterstrom torn his left triceps late in the first half. Getting into a couple of games at the end of the season will “definitely give me a little boost and momentum into the offseason and in camp” next summer, Allen said.

Ramone is offline Registered User

Re: Spagnuolo "Praying And Hoping" For A Win, Not Suh

We already got one win. Don't be greedy!

jkramsfan Guest

Spags wants them to "basically do what they've been doing" and if they do that the 1st round pick is ours and Suh will be a Ram.

AtlantaRamFan is offline Registered User

Well, what he suppose to say? "Yeah we all suck pretty bad, so I hope the guys go out and lose this one." I doubt any head coach would say that simply because he has to work with these people on a day-to-day basis, and IMO Spags wouldn't risk the respect that he's earned from them. But I bet that Devaney and everyone else in the FO won't be heartbroken over a loss. I'm totally ok with Spags mentality. Thats what you want in a head coach.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I have little doubt that Spags and the team want to win, regardless of what might transpire in the draft. They practice, work, prepare and plan every week to get a victory. From the impressions I've gotten throughout the season, Spags is a fighter, and I see no reason why this week, facing a hated rival at home, he'll change his mind set. IMO, ending the season with a win and getting a chance to feel good in the lockerroom after the game is a great first step toward turning things around.

That said, I'll be rooting hard for a Rams win AND a Detroit win so we can have our cake and eat it too.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post

That said, I'll be rooting hard for a Rams win AND a Detroit win so we can have our cake and eat it too.
    lol yep i'm going to be rooting like a mofo for the Lions come Sunday!!!

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Well, we certainly control our own destiny. If we don't get Suh, it'll be our own fault.

Truth is offline Registered User

While I truly admire our coach's desire to win this game,I don't think that this 1 win will propel us anywhere unless we acquire talent to back-up the desire. There may be no garantee that Suh will be the beast EVERYONE thinks he will be. I like his chances. I'll take a loss today in exchange for a stronger team for years to come. I've got to agree with r8rh8rmike and TheRammer, I'll be rooting like crazy for the Lions.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

First and foremost, Spags has to say that. He'd be roasted for any other answer, so it's a non-issue for me.

As for the draft, does anyone remember the 2003 draft following the 2002 season when, in a relatively meaningless game at the end of the year, the 6-9 Jamie Martin-led Rams hosted the 10-5 San Francisco ***** at the end of the year and won the game, propelling them to a 7-9 record?

The Rams picked 12th that season (a pick they used on Jimmy Kennedy). Had they lost that game and went 6-10, they would have picked 9th at worst, 7th at best. That would have potentially given them a shot at Byron Leftwich, Jordan Gross, Kevin Williams, Terrell Suggs, and Marcus Trufant (ie. the players that went in the 7-11 range).

Don't get me wrong - it's entirely possible that dropping to the second spot would not be bad for the Rams. Perhaps they take Gerald McCoy and still get their DT. Perhaps they take Eric Berry for more help in the secondary. Perhaps they take Sam Bradford or Jimmy Clausen and find their franchise QB.

But at the same time, it's also nice to be able to have a shot at better prospects. In the Rams' case, picking first overall gives them a shot at a guy widely believed to be the best prospect in this class. Perhaps more importantly and less specifically, the first pick in the draft gives the Rams the chance to draft anybody they want. Whomever they view as the best, they'll be able to take him.

There's a certain value to that as well, but not one the coach can come out and recognize at the expense of a win.

mh-i is offline Registered User

It doesn't matter how they get there, The Rams need the first pick. It's Suh or bust!

Torry Holt is offline Registered User

We have lost so many games since 3 seasons, this one could be the most advantageous for us. We really need Suh even if I hate lose against the whinners.
    Si vous croyez en vous, que vous avez de la fierté, et que vous ne lâchez jamais, vous serez un gagnant.
    Le prix de la victoire est chère, mais la récompense en vaut la peine.

JFMose is offline Registered User

Why the hell are the Niners making this soo hard?

I want us to at least have a chance at winning, but we come up short...but not actually WIN the game! I want Suh

ramsanddodgers is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Well, we certainly control our own destiny. If we don't get Suh, it'll be our own fault.
    It'll be because our team did what they are supposed to do, and that is to WIN.

It is all moot if Detroit also wins, but I will NEVER want the Rams to lose a game regardless of any cost/reward scenario.
    RnD

GO RAMS!!