Spagnuolo: Rams not any better on film

By BILL COATS
Sunday, August 21, 2011

St. Louis Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo didn't much like what he saw Saturday night at the Edward Jones Dome. After watching film of the 17-16 preseason win over Tennessee, Spagnuolo's opinion wasn't altered.

"I won't change much of what I reiterated last night," Spagnuolo said Sunday. "I didn't think we got off to a great start. After the one play (an 83-yard TD catch by WR Brandon Gibsonon the first snap) I didn't think the team responded real well. I thought we relaxed a little bit, that led to some problems."

Of particular concern was the Titans' success blitzing the Rams and Tennessee's prowess in the ground game. The Titans piled up 198 rushing yards.

"The blitz pickup, it was a number of different things, all the way from the line to the backs to the quarterback," Spagnuolo said. "And I know (offensive coordinator) Josh (McDaniels) and his staff will get that squared away.

"The cutback runs were pretty much what we thought. It does come back to gap integrity. A couple of them were missed tackles. We need to get those things ironed out."

<><><>

The fight for wide receiver jobs marches on.

"I saw a lot of good play there" Saturday, Spagnuolo said. "It was nice to see Greg Salas out there.Danario (Alexander) made a play on a quick screen, ran with the ball pretty good. Mardy (Gilyard) had one good catch there at the end. And certainly Donnie Avery, having him back in there and catching a long ball like that is pretty good. Brandon Gibson opened up the game with a good play. ...

"So I thought we got some production out of the receiving corps, and the competition continues."

<><><>

Injury report from Saturday's game: CB Dionte Dinkins (hyperextended knee), LB Na'il Diggs (bruised knee), DT Fred Robbins(bruised back), DE Chris Long (toe), TRodger Saffold (back).