Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Spagnuolo says he isn't worried about job security

eldfan is offline Registered User

Spagnuolo says he isn't worried about job security

BY JIM THOMAS STLtoday.com

Spagnuolo says he isn't worried about job security

When Rich Brooks' Rams were saddled with a 2-7 record in 1996 (and an overall mark of 9-16 under Brooks), team president John Shaw said Brooks had seven games to get it right. Brooks and the Rams won four of their last seven, but he was still fired after the '96 season.

There was no ultimatum given Dick Vermeil following the 1998 season. Vermeil's record was just 9-23 after two seasons, but Shaw gave Vermeil a third year. Massive changes were made, including a new quarterback (Trent Green), a new offensive coordinator (Mike Martz) and a less onerous training camp and practice schedule. There were other factors involved, too, such as the Marshall Faulk trade, but Vermeil and the Rams responded by winning a Super Bowl in his third year.

In 2008, owner Chip Rosenbloom didn't wait till Year 3 was finished to fire Scott Linehan. After an 0-4 start in '08 and an 11-25 record in two-plus seasons, Linehan was ousted at the start of the Rams' bye week.

Which brings us to Steve Spagnuolo. The Rams are 10-32 overall under Spagnuolo and 2-8 this season. Four of the remaining six games on the schedule are against playoff contenders, and the combined record of those six opponents is 38-22.

Does Spagnuolo have to show something over the final six games to return in 2012?

"I don't go there only because I don't do the six-week deal," Spagnuolo said Monday. "I don't go that far into the future. It's just this game. I just know that's how you operate in this business. The good Lord takes care of the rest."

When asked if he's had much dialogue with owner Stan Kroenke, Spagnuolo replied: "When I get an opportunity, I visit with Stan. But I don't bother him. ... He's very supportive. He was in the locker room, I think it was back in Arizona. I love having him around. I have a great deal of respect for him. But he knows we're here pounding away."

Is there a "magic" number of victories needed to save Spagnuolo's job? Or will it be more a matter of evaluating the team's overall competitiveness? How much will the team's rash of injuries be factored into any decision?

Only Kroenke knows. Several requests by the Post-Dispatch to interview Kroenke have gone unanswered.

Meanwhile, with the Rams officially eliminated Sunday from NFC West title contention, Spagnuolo is trying to salvage as much as he can from the rest of this season.

"I'm going to trust in the leadership of the team and the players, and the fact that they love the game of football and love being a part of this organization," Spagnuolo said. "That they're professionals — coaches and players — and that it is about representing the organization and this city and our fans. I think everybody understands that we're here in this business to put together a game plan and an effort by players to win football games. That's what we'll try to do this week."

This week the Arizona Cardinals (3-7) come to the Edward Jones Dome. On paper, Arizona looms as the most winnable game among the final six.

The remainder of the schedule: 9-1 San Francisco twice (Dec. 4 and Jan. 1); 7-3 Pittsburgh (Dec. 24); 6-4 Cincinnati (Dec. 18); and 4-6 Seattle (Dec. 12) — the same Seahawks team that defeated the Rams 24-7 on Sunday in the Edward Jones Dome.

The Rams' defensive play has been much improved over the last month, or since a 34-7 shellacking in Dallas. But you're not going to win many games when you're scoring only 12 points a game, an astoundingly low total considering the Rams have a three-time Pro Bowler at running back, a No. 1 overall draft pick at quarterback, tens of millions of dollars invested in the offensive line and a high-priced offensive coordinator.

The Rams have scored only 10 touchdowns all season — or an average of one a game.

Speaking on the Rams' offensive woes, Spagnuolo said: "There's a lot of areas we can improve on, and it's widespread. It's all 11 positions. It's not one person. It's not one position. We approached the (Seattle) game a certain way. We thought that that would be the best way to go. And some of the guys still feel that way. It just didn't work out the way we had hoped."

The game plan of coordinator Josh McDaniels was to spread the field with four and five receivers and frequently go with an empty backfield, splitting Steven Jackson out like a wide receiver. The plan backfired, with the team managing only 185 yards, the 12th-lowest output since the move to St. Louis in 1995.

Nonetheless, Spagnuolo defended the empty backfield-spread offense approach and repeated Monday that he believes there's enough talent already on the roster to be more productive.

"Yeah, we've got guys out there that can make plays," he said. "We've got to get it to the playmakers, we've got to have time to get it to the playmakers. ... Nobody's throwing in the towel. We've got guys, we go play."

:ramlogo:

NJ Ramsfan1 is online now Registered User

Re: Spagnuolo says he isn't worried about job security

Spags says "many guys" stilll would have approached the Seattle game the same way. There's the problem. When you have a guy who's STILL convinced that a spread offense and an empty backfield- essentially neutralizing Steven jackson- is still the way to go, you've got a MAJOR, MAJOR problem at the head coaching position.

Rambos is offline Registered User

If I was Spags I would not worry about my Job. He will be hired within hours if they let him goes.

When is the media going to ask about Billy job security? If we start over I want Billy out as well... we have a real problem evaluating talent, from the draft too free agency.

DX missing a ton of time.
    Clayton waited forever and he's still not right.
    Daniel Fells let go over Iron mike who is anything but "Iron Mike".
    Avery a high draft pick let go over MSW who was cut after four games.
    Smith bust.
    Last years draft have all been cut after the 4th rd.
    Billy was so proud of his back up RB he brought in and both have done little to nothing.

We may have coaching issues but we also have FO issues.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Spags says "many guys" stilll would have approached the Seattle game the same way. There's the problem. When you have a guy who's STILL convinced that a spread offense and an empty backfield- essentially neutralizing Steven jackson- is still the way to go, you've got a MAJOR, MAJOR problem at the head coaching position.
    Why can't they adapt? Spags is stupidly stubborn.
    Last edited by Fettmaster; -11-22-2011 at 12:43 PM.
    live4ramin likes this.

finaldrive is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    If I was Spags I would not worry about my Job. He will be hired within hours if they let him goes.

When is the media going to ask about Billy job security? If we start over I want Billy out as well... we have a real problem evaluating talent, from the draft too free agency.

Smith bust.
    Billy was so proud of his back up RB he brought in and both have done little to nothing.

Agree but the coaching has been so bad at developing talent....I really have a hard time figuring out if it is talent evaluation or talent development....probably both.

finaldrive is offline Registered User

The Chargers are seeking public help for a new stadium and doing so amid mushrooming rumors of an impending move to Los Angeles, and they have a sinking season ticket base that grows more imperiled with each loss.
    The villagers, as some might call them, have their pitchforks and torches and appear ready to storm Chargers Park if Turner remains.
    However, firing Smith along with Turner presents more challenges.
    That would leave Spanos the question of structure within the football operations side of the franchise – most revolving around the fact that current director of college scouting John Spanos is waiting in the wings to take over as general manager.
    Even since Smith signed his contract extension on the first day of 2008, the rough plan has been that he and Dean Spanos would move on after ’14, leaving Spanos’ sons, John and A.G., to run the team’s football and business operations, respectively.
    There are three conceivable scenarios for bringing in a new coach and general manager.

1. John Spanos could assume GM duties but defer to a powerful head coach who would have final say on personnel decisions. This would be a reversal of the organizational structure Dean Spanos has always had.
    2. John Spanos could become the general manager ahead of schedule, simply sliding into Smith’s role and assuming total control of football operations. That might limit the Chargers’ choices for coaches, but there would also be no shortage of candidates.
    3. The Chargers could hire a new personnel man to replace Smith, leaving John Spanos in apprentice mode for a few more years. It might be difficult, but not impossible, to find a G.M. willing to be a bridge with a limited span.

Before getting there, though, Spanos has to decide whether a new G.M. would do better or whether Smith deserves another shot with another coach.
    While Smith has made some missteps in the draft of late and failed to bring in the type of impact players the Chargers so desperately need, injuries have played a major role in creating some of the holes on the team. Spanos, too, credits Smith with rebuilding the Chargers in 2003 and ’04, helping the team go from having the second-worst record in the NFL over an eight-year span to having the fifth-best record over the past seven-plus seasons.
    And the owner of a team in the bottom half of revenues among the 32 NFL teams, in a bad economy with dwindling ticket revenues must also decide if he wants to eat $5 million a year over the next two seasons and another $2 million in 2014 for men no longer in his employ.
    Perhaps helping Spanos is the fact Turner and Smith are football men who would certainly not retire.
    Turner, who is in his third head coaching job, has never sat out a season in 27 years in the NFL. He has held three offensive coordinator positions between his head coaching gigs. League executives opined last week it is likely that Turner would get an offensive coordinator job for 2012, which could save Spanos up to half what he would owe Turner.
    Smith, a scout and personnel man since late 1970s, would also try to work again immediately. League sources indicated that there will be at least four general manager jobs opening.
    League sources said the Raiders will be looking for a GM after the season, having given total control to head coach Hue Jackson this season. Sources said there is dissension in the organization’s hierarchy over the Carson Palmer trade and the contract given to Aaron Curry after they acquired him in trade.
    In Jacksonville, both GM Gene Smith and head coach Jack Del Rio could be out. Smith turned down a contract extension last season.
    The Miami Dolphins are being frustrated in their preliminary search for a high-profile head coach that would have total control. Sources said former Chiefs president Carl Peterson, who has been advising Dolphins owner Stephen Ross, is still a candidate as GM there if they don’t find anyone else.
    St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke is looking to blow up his front office and hire a new coach. Kroenke, according to a league source, is compiling a general manager list right now.

Smith might have to take less than total control if he were to be hired elsewhere, but he likely would in that he never had total control until taking this job.
    It is not known to what extent those other owners have already made their decisions, though league sources were at least willing to put them in pencil.
    Here, it is unlikely a decision waits until January. But Spanos is virtually certain to let the season play out before actually making a move.

Written by

Kevin Acee

Mods I posted this by how I understood the terms of agreement. If this is incorrect please let me know. I will modify to conform.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    Did you watch the game? Steven Jackson is our best playmaker so we need him the field...he was not being neutralized by the play calls he was being neutralized by the hags Defense...the only way to keep him on the fld was lining him up at receiver and giving him open space.

Smith bust.

The only thing i blame billy D for is getting Josh McD

DX was a undrafted FA pick up so it was an inexpensive gamble.

Clayton looked really good wen all we gave up was a 6th rounder...and salas got injured so we needed a WR what would u have done activate clayton or go get TO or another scrub that cannot find a job

Fells is paying dividends in denver but from a potential stand point illinois (not iron) Mike is better...however i do see your argument here

Avery a high draft pick was not given a contract immediatly after we let him go...MSW has more receptions than avery this year...Sims walker has more receptions this year than avery after we let him go as well

I agree Smith is not playing to potential but look at when we got him. Spags just became HC and his plan was to build the team from the line so our 1st round pick was going to be a OT no matter what...We picked Jason Smith over the 2 other highly touted OTs Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe so far Jason SMith is the better of those 3

We still got talent from the top of the draft last year...injuries are decimating them thou

Caddy williams has still done more than any other back-up we have had in recent years
    Agrajag likes this.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post

Did you watch the game? Steven Jackson is our best playmaker so we need him the field...he was not being neutralized by the play calls he was being neutralized by the hags Defense...the only way to keep him on the fld was lining him up at receiver and giving him open space.

Clayton looked really good wen all we gave up was a 6th rounder...and salas got injured so we needed a WR what would u have done activate clayton or go get TO or another scrub that cannot find a job

Fells is paying dividends in denver but from a potential stand point illinois (not iron) Mike is better...however i do see your argument here

Avery a high draft pick was not given a contract immediatly after we let him go...MSW has more receptions than avery this year...Sims walker has more receptions this year than avery after we let him go as well

I agree Smith is not playing to potential but look at when we got him. Spags just became HC and his plan was to build the team from the line so our 1st round pick was going to be a OT no matter what...We picked Jason Smith over the 2 other highly touted OTs Andre Smith and Eugene Monroe so far Jason SMith is the better of those 3

We still got talent from the top of the draft last year...injuries are decimating them thou

Caddy williams has still done more than any other back-up we have had in recent years
    Not looking good that's for sure.

Mike can't stay healthy, he was hurt last year, this year... and when he has played has not played as well as last year IMO... Fells did make some nice catches last year, I would have kept him over both Fells and Billy Bajema. I thought the McD system was using the TE, a lot have not seen it.

It's not that he cost a lot he's taking a spot... he has always been an injury risk and he always will be.

My point here was not to compare the two, it's about Billy taking the first WR off the board. Then replacing him with a FA and then cutting the replacement.

When in fact it would be nice to see the WR we drafted that high workout and then in FA go get another WR that could be here through camp and help score TD. In this case he missed on both and we are now down two WR that where here from camp learning the new offense.

Have they both Been move to RT and have they both been hurt and missing time?

We still got talent from the top of the draft last year
    Yeah we have some potential from the early RDs, but what does it say when rounds 5-7 are cut? Do we need to look at our process? The later rounds is how you build a deep football team.
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-22-2011 at 02:00 PM.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by finaldrive View Post
    St. Louis Rams owner Stan Kroenke is looking to blow up his front office and hire a new coach. Kroenke, according to a league source, is compiling a general manager list right now.
    You beat me to it. I was just about to come into this thread and point out that, if Spags isn't worried about his job security, then he must not have received his copy of the San Diego Union Tribune.

Oh the dreaded anonymous league source is back!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by finaldrive View Post
    He would be best served by just scraping everything at the FO level ... from GM to Coach to Talent Scouts. And this includes Marketing personnel as he begins to transition branding the team back to the LA Rams ...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by BarronWade View Post
    How'd that work out? Jackson is a running back, and a damn good one, so that's where you play him. There are any number of ways you can adjust to get him into the mix out of the backfield, but McDaniels refused to alter his gameplan, and we saw the result.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

I thought it was actually refreshing the few 1st downs they didn't run Jackson from the backfield straight up the middle. It was obvious they had that figured out, and the Rams OL just plain wasn't getting it done on the run blocking.

They

are

just

not

good

enough.

bradwill is offline Registered User

I think you're leaving out some noticeable blunders in FA by Devaney:

Signing James Butler who was a total bust from Day 1 to a rich contract
    Signing Jason Brown to the highest paid contract for a NFL center and now he's firmly a backup.
    Signing Jacob Bell who is average at best to a 36mil deal. Re-worked contract this year but that's 3 very pricey years of middling results at best.
    Poppinga and Leber for the major holes at LB? Seriously?
    Taking a real reach on Jason Smith at #2 overall
    Ignoring DT(as usual) and not realizing that Robbins' play last year was a fluke

I appreciate Devaney's openness and candor with the fans and media, but I think he's done.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

As a defensive coordinator- yes. As a head coach- no.
    ManofGod likes this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

I would have respect for someone to come out and say "Well, we tried something different and it did not work in hindsight, we should have adjusted out of the scripted gameplan but we did not" Spags seemslike he is sticking up for his guy's but really, it is weak. SJ39 is a RB. He is not a wideout. While he can perfom a various amount of duties, the best way to utilize him is out of the backfield. Hey, we can use some help in the LB corps, why not put SJ39 out there too.

Perhaps some quick slants and less 20 yard passes on 3rd and 1 would have been something to try. IDK.....I am just a frustrated fan arm chairing this...........Perhaps a gameplan whereby we utilized out best player with what he does best. Just sayin'
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast