Thread: Spags.....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Spags.....

In another thread titled "REALISTICALLY" 98 people have cast their votes on how many wins they feel our team will win in 2009.

82 of the 98 votes are for the 6-9 win range which is approx. 83% of the votes.

What will you think of Spags if we win less then 6 games?

What will you think of Spags if we win 6 games?

How about 7 wins? 8? 9?

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Spags.....

I just want to see the Rams compete this year. When Martz was here, I don't care who the Rams played they had a swagger about them that said we'll take your best anyday because you are getting ours. That hasn't been the case since the front office/Martz Jerry Springeresque incident and the Linehan/Haslett experiment. I think Spags will do that and watch the difference in the crowd at the ED because of it.

I just want some spunk in the Rams again. I want to feel good about being a Rams fan instead of saying "yea, I know I am a Rams fan but I am sticking by them". I want to be able to say "heck yea I'm a Rams fan. Look how we are pounding Seattle today"

A-Web is offline Registered User

I think it would be unfair to judge Spags too harshly if this season's results don't yield a dramatic increase in wins. I think it would be only fair to (based on how much remodeling needs done) hold him to at least the current production. Honestly, if we net 3-4 wins this season, I don't think I could be upset at the coaching.

Now, in another year, after Spags has had settling time, and a full year to implement the new offense/defense and start brainwashing the team his way, as well as get a draft class or two "Spags Recruits" under his belt, I think then you can say, we want at least a 50/50 season at 8 and 8.

But on the upside, I think something you can judge would be success. I think one measurable would be if the Rams do dramatically better this season, as in 8+ wins, than I think you can feed a majority of the credit to Spags and the guys he brought in, players and coaches alike. an 8 and 8 season in his first year behind this current "trainwreck" would speak loudly about his contribution to the Rams organization, and would come out and tell the whole league, "The Rams are back in business!"

But, alas, this is all information that is useless till the season is over. Basically, if we don't exactly do great, can you blame Spags with what he was handed to work with originally? And secondly, if we have a dramatic improvement, how could you not give him the credit he is due. Basically, Spags shoes definitely have some Dr. Scholl's in them. He is comfortable, and there really isn't anything that he could do wrong in this first season, as long as he gets us at least 2-3 wins...

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Considering the depth of the rebuild and the size of the turnover and youth movement, I can't imagine expecting anything until the third season. However, considering some of the core pieces still here and how young they are, I wouldn't be surprised either if they emerged a cohesive and effective team. Tex said it elsewhere, I want swagger and a team playing the entire game.
    Semper Fi!

blood85 is offline Registered User

No doubt, the RAMS will be much improved with Spags. Just get the first win early and lets go from there.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

What I think and what I will hold him to are two different things. I think we will be competitive and win anywhere from 8 to 12 games.

But...

Last year we ranked 31st in scoring points per game and we ranked 31st in giving up points per game. Wow... hard to go anywhere but up from there.

As long as improvement happens every year I am willing to give Spags 5 years because I'm not looking for a quick fix. Just as important as becoming competitive is staying competitive. Going young and rebuilding correctly takes some time.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

What will you think of Spags if we win less then 6 games?
    I'd think someone messed up, and Spags will be teaching them a new play: The "Boot gonna be stuck somewhere" formation.

What will you think of Spags if we win 6 games?
    I would be disappointed, but to be honest, I doubt if any person here could expect more than this with the team we currently have. Of course, I expect eight wins, but I'm an optimist, unless something goes wrong.

How about 7 wins? 8? 9?
    I would assume that this style of posting would tick some people off, and that we got a GREAT deal when Spags got hired!

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

All depends on how they win and lose. Last years team rarely competed in games against opponents with losing records. In most games we were already down 2-3 TDs before going into the 2nd half. No fan should have to see that again but i'm hoping and praying that Spags truly is the ONE!!! .500 or just under would be a good start for me.

d4nnystl539 is offline Registered User

To be honest, I would be upset if we win 6 game or less. I know Spags has mentioned that this rebuilding process will take time, but, I look at every year and think we should be competing to win the division title. We have a better chance now, than we've had in a while, with the better way the offseason has been going this year.

I am looking forward to winning more than 6 games just because there is a good chance it can happen. I mean, Linehan won 8 games his first year with a roster similar to the one we have now, but with worser coaching. I actually believe some parts of our roster are way better than what they were during Linehan's first season. I don't see why we can't come off to a fast start under Spagnuolo.

IF, we do win more than 10, then I have a feeling this team could really go places real soon. This would show me that Spagnuolo's leadership and coaching is out of this world. I think he is the one that could make an even bigger turnaround than what Sparano did with the Dophins.

That is how I feel about Spagnoulo.
    Last edited by d4nnystl539; -03-14-2009 at 06:03 PM.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

I wouldn't be too disapointed if there were only 6 wins next year. Jimmy Johnson won 1 game with Dallas in his first year there and Andy Reid won 3 in Seatle his first year there.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Even Linehan as bad as he was brought us up from 6-10 to 8-8 his first season as our headcoach. I'm thinking after the way the Linehan/Haslett duo was beat on, that Spags could be in for some of the same if we don't see a quick turnaround. Fuses will be short after going 3-13 and 2-14 the last 2 seasons.

I'm looking for at least 5 wins in 2009 anything less will be very hard to accept.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Maybe 4 or 5 wins tops. Rome was not built in a day....Hang in there... Give Spags some time...

general counsel is offline Registered User

An awful lot depends on how healthy we are because we are NOT going to be a deep team. If we get unlucky with injuries, especially if Jackson gets hurt, we are going to be dead as julius ceasar.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

A wise man once said "Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."

How long it will take The Rams to get to the middle is the question; in sports,do you ever reach THE end? A SB win & there's a repeat on the horizon. After a repeat, next stop Dynasty City. That's the fun of it,imo...I'm along for the ride,however long it takes.

I hope we by-pass a stop at 6-10 or worse but if it happens, I'd say it's more likely due to a few tire blowouts or other unforeseeable hazards than DeSpags getting us hopelessly lost or letting us run out of gas.They didn't inherit an Edsel but it ain't no Ferrari,neither.

We are en route and I think it will stay that way. The schedule is subject to change but not the direction.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -03-15-2009 at 11:58 PM.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

Yea I think we have nowhere to go but up with Spag.
    As far as the number of wins we get? we will have to see. I also think if we compete hardcore and not give up,stay in the games and hopfully we win the close ones we seem to always lose lately 9-7 doesn't seem out of reach, unless the departure of Holt and Pace prove to much to immediatly overcome.
    My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild