Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spags

laram0 is online now Superbowl MVP

Spags

Ok so we are 0-2 but could have or maybe should have won both games. At least our teams looks better than last year.

Obviously if we win this Sunday alot of the heat aimed at SPAGS from the fans will cool off big time.

However if we lose another close one how will the fans react?

What if we get blown out? What will the fans reaction be concerning Spags?

GO RAMS!!!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: Spags

I know they needed to revamp the team talent but 1-17 ugly. He has to win the winnable games. I donít know how much rope he is going to get I would like to know. Know one expected the rams to be in the playoff but when you got Tampa bay and KC in the same boat as we are and they are 2-0. If the rams has 2, 3 wins he comes back? Wow 3-29 - 4-28? As a head coach it would hard for him to convince the Owner to keep him on, or for fans to be upbeat.
    :ramlogo:

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

An overwhelming number of fans on the board were excited when Steve Spagnuolo- a guy we thought would outprice himself for the Rams' job- became our coach. Most people deep down knew this would not be a quick fix and that it would take patience, sound decisions on existing players, smart drafts and good tactical coaching to turn this thing around sooner rather than later. I am still very much in Spags' corner, but he needs to show me and every other fan out there that he can find a way to win. It speaks poorly for everyone- especially the coaches- when teams like Tampa and KC are 2-0 coming off their own horrific seasons and we've blown two winnable games with penalties, costly mistakes and poor in-game adjustments. And when a guy like Tom Cable makes successful halftime adjustments to beat you, this also doesn't look good.

Contrast this with a guy like Miami's Tony Sparano- who is winning with odd formations (wildcat), average personnel and a fiery demeanor. And while it probably won't last, he's atop his division with a 2-0 record ahead of two teams that talent wise are head and shoulders above the Dolphins. He's getting the absolute most out of his squad- and THAT is the mark of a good coach.

Washington is a step above Oakland and Arizona but still a very winnable game. I feel this is a very big game for Spags. He has to show something here with an 0-2 record and playing at home. Close isn't good enough. Because sooner or later it will get ugly- VERY ugly if the losses continue to mount. I think Spags has some excellent qualities as a coach. But the bottom line is winning football games now and in the future. For his sake, it had better start soon.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

From what I saw last week, the Redskins looked very good offensively against a great Texans team. Even if we lose, if it's a close game down to the wire I think there's a lot to be said--at least with the defense--as far as improvement goes. Obviously a win would be a lot better but at this point I'll probably be thrilled to see our team give them a run for their money.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    From what I saw last week, the Redskins looked very good offensively against a great Texans team. Even if we lose, if it's a close game down to the wire I think there's a lot to be said--at least with the defense--as far as improvement goes. Obviously a win would be a lot better but at this point I'll probably be thrilled to see our team give them a run for their money.
    Agreed, Varg6. The Redskins looked very impressive offensively last week for sure against the Texans, the only thing they didnt get was the W. And dont let their defense fool you, they have a very good defense the Redskins. Its just that the Texans are very good offensively, they're no slouch. Thats why they were able to come back.

Honestly guys, I HOPE its not a blowout. Infact, Im praying for it not to happen and that its close like the last three meetings. But the way we look now who knows, it just may be. All Im saying is dont be surprised if it turns out to be one.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Disclosure. I like Spags.

I think he needs to take control of a bad situation and do something about the offensive play calling. Vermiel was force fed Martz. Spags shouldn't have to be force fed a change here, he should see the problem and as the head coach he should make the adjustment. Same with the game plan. He should be able to see, or at the least his staff should be seeing and advising as to what is going on, and make adjustments.

But I can not put the 1-17 on Spags. Yes, that is his record with the Rams right now. But he had to tear it down to rebuild it. He had to start the process that should have already been in the process before he even got to St Louis.

I think that 0-2 is fair. And in that, I am not happy for the very reasons I stated above. But to blame him for the entirety of the first season and this season, 1-17, is like saying Seifert was a great coach, even though he was using what essentially was Bill Walsh's team. The context of that first season needs to be considered.

I am just thankful that he even came here knowing what a mess this organization was at the time. And on that, should he be run out of town, I think holding him responsible for things that happened as a result of decisions made prior to his coming will be a deterent to quality coaches and managers willing to come in to fill the void. You'd most likely get another Brooks.
    Last edited by Richbert88; -09-22-2010 at 06:48 PM.
    Semper Fi!

BEER is offline Registered User

He has to step it up as a HEAD COACH. It seems to me that everyone else runs this team but him. He needs to get in his ASSISTANT coaches faces and tell them to get it done or be gone. If he doesnt, he'll be gone. Plain and simple.

thatguy is offline Registered User

The offseason showed me how impatient and annoying some rams fans are. At least give him 3 seasons to build HIS team not the terrible roster that he inherited that had washed up players and guys who weren't talented at all. He has the respect of the players and that is something linehan didn't have and spags has the team playing hard.The D line is very important in spags D and that has been a huge hole for a while. Having physical corners that can play press coverage was also something the rams never had and Murphy and Fletcher could be those guys. I really like what he is doing and yes there have been times where I have questioned something that he has done but he is also learning to be a NFL head coach

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    The offseason showed me how impatient and annoying some rams fans are. At least give him 3 seasons to build HIS team not the terrible roster that he inherited that had washed up players and guys who weren't talented at all. He has the respect of the players and that is something linehan didn't have and spags has the team playing hard.The D line is very important in spags D and that has been a huge hole for a while. Having physical corners that can play press coverage was also something the rams never had and Murphy and Fletcher could be those guys. I really like what he is doing and yes there have been times where I have questioned something that he has done but he is also learning to be a NFL head coach
    I agree...but does Stan?

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    What if we get blown out? What will the fans reaction be concerning Spags?
    It's not going to be good, I'll tell you that.

The fans are looking to see some improvement, and they're having to pull out the magnifying glass to find it. What they've seen the last two weeks is some marginal improvement in some areas, but more of the same when it comes to the win/loss column.

Improvements in personnel haven't changed the fact that this team hasn't been able to close out winnable games against two very mediocre-at-best opponents. That's been a problem for years, and despite a large roster blow-up, Spags and company haven't been able to change it yet.

Now, a big boy is coming to town. Washington probably isn't an amazing team, but they're certainly more formidable than Oakland or Arizona and should be a legitimate playoff contender. They're coming off of a loss, but in that loss, they stood toe to toe and nearly defeated one of the hottest teams in the AFC right now.

This is going to be a good litmus test to determine where this Rams team is. I think it goes without saying that a win will relieve some of the pressure and concerns of the fanbase, but I think even a close game will have a similar effect. At some point, the Rams are going to need to start winning, but while moral victories don't show up in the win/loss column, they will help calm fans who might be getting a little nervous about how this process is going.

However, if the Rams go out there and basically get pounded or just clearly can't compete with the Redskins, then I think it's safe to start wondering about the progress this team is making. When you look around the NFL, you see teams like Tampa Bay and Kansas City sitting at 2-0 right now, and even a team like Detroit has been competitive against two fairly good teams in Chicago and Philadelphia. If the Rams roll over to the Redskins or just aren't at a level to really compete with them, then I wouldn't be surprised to see fans start to wonder when Spagnuolo and Devaney will actually get this thing turned around.

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    An overwhelming number of fans on the board were excited when Steve Spagnuolo- a guy we thought would outprice himself for the Rams' job- became our coach. Most people deep down knew this would not be a quick fix and that it would take patience, sound decisions on existing players, smart drafts and good tactical coaching to turn this thing around sooner rather than later. I am still very much in Spags' corner, but he needs to show me and every other fan out there that he can find a way to win. It speaks poorly for everyone- especially the coaches- when teams like Tampa and KC are 2-0 coming off their own horrific seasons and we've blown two winnable games with penalties, costly mistakes and poor in-game adjustments. And when a guy like Tom Cable makes successful halftime adjustments to beat you, this also doesn't look good.

Contrast this with a guy like Miami's Tony Sparano- who is winning with odd formations (wildcat), average personnel and a fiery demeanor. And while it probably won't last, he's atop his division with a 2-0 record ahead of two teams that talent wise are head and shoulders above the Dolphins. He's getting the absolute most out of his squad- and THAT is the mark of a good coach.

Washington is a step above Oakland and Arizona but still a very winnable game. I feel this is a very big game for Spags. He has to show something here with an 0-2 record and playing at home. Close isn't good enough. Because sooner or later it will get ugly- VERY ugly if the losses continue to mount. I think Spags has some excellent qualities as a coach. But the bottom line is winning football games now and in the future. For his sake, it had better start soon.
    Very smart, sound post. Excellent points.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    After the well-documented roster turnover the last two seasons, I'm sorry but that particular dog does not hunt. This is not Shawmunt's team with Shawmunt's players. He and Devaney built this team and its performance should reflect upon them, not Trotsky err Shawmunt.

And I'm also sorry, but its not impatient or unrealistic of me to expect at least 4 wins this season. NFL teams should at minimum win that many games, to expect fewer is insulting and to receive fewer is unacceptable. If his program can't get 4 wins this season, it is perfectly fair to see if somebody else can.

I do agree that Spagnuolo is a good guy, but I haven't ruled out the franchise having struck yet another Peter Principle-related land mine with him.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post

That's a great post.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    After the well-documented roster turnover the last two seasons, I'm sorry but that particular dog does not hunt. This is not Shawmunt's team with Shawmunt's players. He and Devaney built this team and its performance should reflect upon them, not Trotsky err Shawmunt.
    That's not an unreasonable point. Of the 62 players that appeared for the Rams in 2008 at various times, only 19 remain. That's less than a third, a pretty big roster turnaround in two years.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Nick and Azul- thank you for the kind words.

God, I want this team to win. Can we PLEASE play some good football and put everything together this Sunday??

makersncoke is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post

And I'm also sorry, but its not impatient or unrealistic of me to expect at least 4 wins this season. NFL teams should at minimum win that many games, to expect fewer is insulting and to receive fewer is unacceptable. If his program can't get 4 wins this season, it is perfectly fair to see if somebody else can.

I do agree that Spagnuolo is a good guy, but I haven't ruled out the franchise having struck yet another Peter Principle-related land mine with him.
    You took the words out of my mouth, in my mind it's hard to believe that a group of PROFESSIONAL football players can't muster up atleast 4 wins in a season, there is no way that the talent level is so low on the Rams that they couldn't pull out that many wins. So with that being said I have to think that it's possible that the coaching staff isn't getting the most out of what they have. I also was excited when Spags was hired and I still think he's a good man but maybe as you pointed out he's better suited for a coordinator job instead of head coach.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast