Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spags

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: Spags

Again, I think in my opinion Steve Spagnuolo is a much better coordinator than head coach.

1) He seems too overwhelmed with HC duties.

2) He may not be ready to grasp the reins of a team.

3) He would be better COACHING instead of generally advising the assisstants.

Just my take on it.

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

I was one of the people who was really happy that the Rams landed Spags and his coaching staff. Unfortunately, he hasn't backed up a few of things he was talking about. Those being a run based offense and a more physical defense.

As for the defense we may have gotten bigger and I do see improvement, but this team is still missing way too many tackles and just getting run over by opposing offensives. I'm tired of seeing defenders who can't get off a wide receiver block and it seems like the same five players are making all the plays.

On offense, the depth behind Steven Jackson is putrid. Bradford was a great pick up and I'm thrilled we have him, but this team just doesn't seem to be what was completely advertised.

I have not given up on this coaching staff yet and I have seen a lot more positives then negatives, but the Redskins game could and probably will get ugly fast. If these guys don't start winning soon I will be one of the guys who lead the charge to have their heads on a stick.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    And I'm also sorry, but its not impatient or unrealistic of me to expect at least 4 wins this season. NFL teams should at minimum win that many games, to expect fewer is insulting and to receive fewer is unacceptable. If his program can't get 4 wins this season, it is perfectly fair to see if somebody else can.
    Quote Originally Posted by makersncoke View Post
    You took the words out of my mouth, in my mind it's hard to believe that a group of PROFESSIONAL football players can't muster up atleast 4 wins in a season, there is no way that the talent level is so low on the Rams that they couldn't pull out that many wins. So with that being said I have to think that it's possible that the coaching staff isn't getting the most out of what they have. I also was excited when Spags was hired and I still think he's a good man but maybe as you pointed out he's better suited for a coordinator job instead of head coach.
    I agree completely. There is absolutely no reason why this team can't win at least 4 games. Even in the dark ages of the 90's, the Rams won less than 4 games only once. Spags needs to step it up and not only motivate his players, but have them prepared to compete.

For a variety of reasons that others have stated, this team needs wins, NOW. A repeat of the last few seasons and we'll all be singing "welcome to the new dark ages". Tha's not a song Spags wants to hear.

thatguy is offline Registered User

After the well-documented roster turnover the last two seasons, I'm sorry but that particular dog does not hunt. This is not Shawmunt's team with Shawmunt's players. He and Devaney built this team and its performance should reflect upon them, not Trotsky err Shawmunt.

And I'm also sorry, but its not impatient or unrealistic of me to expect at least 4 wins this season. NFL teams should at minimum win that many games, to expect fewer is insulting and to receive fewer is unacceptable. If his program can't get 4 wins this season, it is perfectly fair to see if somebody else can.

I do agree that Spagnuolo is a good guy, but I haven't ruled out the franchise having struck yet another Peter Principle-related land mine with him.
    I expect at least four wins as well and you make a good point. But how many times have you seen people want spags fired after his first season? it is just not fair to him when the franchise drafted so terribly the previous years and all of the star players weren't being replaced. Age caught up with Holt, Bruce,Pace and then that just left bugler with no one last year.

DPskywalker is offline Registered User

I do agree that Spagnuolo is a good guy, but I haven't ruled out the franchise having struck yet another Peter Principle-related land mine with him.
    I couldn't agree more.

Flajole could be a major Peter-principle guy, as well. I remember going into last year thinking "this has to be the least experienced coaching staff in the history of the NFL."

Back to Spags, though. I DO like him, but he needs to be a little Grizzly and a little less Teddy. Show some claws! Make a Bill Cowher face, at least.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
    I expect at least four wins as well and you make a good point. But how many times have you seen people want spags fired after his first season? it is just not fair to him when the franchise drafted so terribly the previous years and all of the star players weren't being replaced. Age caught up with Holt, Bruce,Pace and then that just left bugler with no one last year.
    Not very many, to be honest with you. Maybe it just speaks to the logical posters of our board, which is the only board I frequent, but it seemed to me most people realized the Rams were a bad team and that firing the coach didn't make much sense after the first season.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

molar_pistol is offline Registered User

i've been behind spags all the way up until this point, but that will change on sunday if we continue to have the same problems we've had since he got here. again, not to beat a dead horse, but you don't continue to pound steven jackson into 8 or 9 defenders play after play when they are stacking against the run. spread it out with 4 wide, take some shots deep, run some misdirection stuff, whatever it takes, if they continue to fail because they just don't have the personnel i will understand but you have to give your team a chance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12