Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Spags announced Wednesday that rookie Greg Salas will be the Rams' slot WR

richtree is offline Registered User

Spags announced Wednesday that rookie Greg Salas will be the Rams' slot WR

As I had said many, many times here that Salas is a slot WR.

He will get his shot starting this week. Danny is talking about returning in the next 2 weeks, he really is one tough guy.

Many people didn't like the Salas draft pick (me), because we had Danny and didn't think he could play on the outside.

So, here is his chance, and it couldn't have been at a better time. The NY Giants have a weak secondary and an extra day of practice to get it going.

I know it his is first start in the slot, so I will try not to be over-critical, but there are 3 basic things we want to see.

Salas must
    1. Catch the ball (especially on 3rd down)
    2. Give max effort (shouldn't be a prob for him)
    3. Not cause any picks (learn the routes quickly)

Since Salas doesn't have great speed or size -- the best thing he does is become strong and shifty with the ball. These "slot" plays become an extension of our running back with SJax out.

I look forward to this week because I really think we can attack the Giants.

Best of luck to Greg Salas.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Spags announced Wednesday that rookie Greg Salas will be the Rams' slot WR

One thing for sure is that Salas has the big shoes of little Danny Amendola to fill.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

We will rally behind Greg salas....
    Jonze and RamFan_Til_I_Die like this.

I think we are fine with Kendricks, Gibson, and Salas playing Slot --- WE REAlly need production from DX, Pettis, or Sims-Walker.

I have the feeling as the season goes on, we will see Sims-Walker fade away and DX become the starter.

This is a HUGE game for Sims-Walker. He needs to show he can still play quickly, if we want to win games early on the schedule..

This will be a great game...

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

If Kendricks and Salas can shine on MNF, that will go a loooooooooooong way towards building their confidence (and Bradford's confidence in them).

Gotta love the trial by fire!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    We will rally behind Greg salas....

This joke never gets old. Kudos to you for bringing it back!

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    If Kendricks and Salas can shine on MNF, that will go a loooooooooooong way towards building their confidence (and Bradford's confidence in them).

I really like this point, for ^^^this reason -- I hope that Quinn can get involved in the game as well.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by richtree View Post
    Spags announced Wednesday that rookie Greg Salas will be the Rams' slot WR.
    I bummed for sure that we lost Danny... But really excited for Greg.

I have seen Greg play football since high school at Chino high. I live in the same town and went to the same high school and I still can't believe Greg is a Ram...

Just do what you do Greg

r8rh8rmike and viper like this.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Absolutely, there are a lot of rookies that can really make the most out of their opportunities on a big NFL stage on Monday night. Not to mention, it'll certainly make Billy's picks look smart. I know a lot weren't thrilled with Kendricks or Salas...

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I agree with others that you make a key point here Av. Confidence is critical to young players, not only in themselves, but in their teammates. Kendricks and Salas looked shakey in the opener and need to forget about that game and do what they have shown the ability to do. And if Bradford is going to be under fire, he needs to to be able to make quick decisions and not have to worry about his receivers letting him down.

Thinking too much and a lack of confidence can compound, so the Monday Night game is huge in the development of not only the young players psyche, but the teams as a whole.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Bradfords body language said alot about his performance against Philly. Sam for most of the time out there didn't look sure of himself, in constast to Vick, who was not great either, but knows his strengths and was able to use them against the Rams defense.

Hopefully Kendricks and Salas can better give Sam the support he needs.
    They can all grow together as great Rams!
    Last edited by dgr828; -09-15-2011 at 06:05 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Salas is a bigger Amendola. Not the strongest, biggest, or fastest. But dedicated and ready to work. He still has some big shoes to fill but I think he will be fine. Very nice skill set and is just a baller.

RamsFanCK is offline Registered User

This is actually something I have been thinking about a lot lately. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not happy we lost Danny, but in the long run maybe just maybe it's better for the rest of the receiving core. Every single one of them has to step up to replace Danny's presence, it's time to see who's a baller and who's just a fat failure.

But yeah, the trial by fire on monday night will make it that much better!

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

The Rams desperately need someone to step up this season in the receiving core, I know its way, way too early to count out any of MSW or Gibson. But because Salas is an unknown quantity, you just never know what you have got.? I realize its a long shot being its his first team debut, but draft status and speed are not everything.? I like his heart and run after the catch, decent looking hands that will only get better once he calms down and becomes more experienced.?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

I was pleasantly surprised by the after the catch running that Salas displayed on his grab in the Eagles game, hopefully he can keep that up

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast