thickandthin is offline Registered User

Spags coaches like a rec. coach

ok not really he's a lot better than that but he coaches with a "everyone has to play." mentality it seems...

For example... last week against the whiners, before the game he asked the players who hasn't played much? and Dockery raises his hand and says "I haven't coach." So Spags turns to Fletcher and says "You've played great Bradley but Keven hasn't played so he's going to get to play for you."

and then there's yesterday... with Hoomanawanui being taken out late in the game in favor for Bajema, I'm not saying Bajema played poorly, he had 2 nice catches on that late drive. But I'm just saying you've got to let your best players play...

Don't bash me please... I'm just confused with this...

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Re: Spags coaches like a rec. coach

No, he coaches to keep his players fresh, as well as have the lineup on the field that provides the best skillset for the play being run.

That means subbing players out to make sure they get rest, and when another players is a better fit for a particular play. You don't carry a 45 man roster so you can play 22 guys and leave it at that. Teams win deep in games by having energy. If you've played your starters the entire game without giving them any breathers, you are asking for a loss. Also your "best players" aren't the "best players" for every situation and play.

Guys get gassed and have to come out, sometimes for an entire series. A gassed player is worse than a fresh player pretty much every time. If you don't have legs, you won't make a positive impact.

Also, I seriously doubt that is how Spags decided Dockery was going to start. At least make a half-hearted effort to be realistic.

Also, please don't take this as a full-out bash, but you took a pretty sharp stab and ridiculous stab at Spags. Comparing him to a rec coach for subbing his players in and out? Please. You are digging around pretty deep to find something to complain about.

thickandthin is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    No, he coaches to keep his players fresh, as well as have the lineup on the field that provides the best skillset for the play being run.

That means subbing players out to make sure they get rest, and when another players is a better fit for a particular play. You don't carry a 45 man roster so you can play 22 guys and leave it at that. Teams win deep in games by having energy. If you've played your starters the entire game without giving them any breathers, you are asking for a loss. Also your "best players" aren't the "best players" for every situation and play.

Guys get gassed and have to come out, sometimes for an entire series. A gassed player is worse than a fresh player pretty much every time. If you don't have legs, you won't make a positive impact.

Also, I seriously doubt that is how Spags decided Dockery was going to start. At least make a half-hearted effort to be realistic.

Also, please don't take this as a full-out bash, but you took a pretty sharp stab and ridiculous stab at Spags. Comparing him to a rec coach for subbing his players in and out? Please. You are digging around pretty deep to find something to complain about.
    Then whose decision was it?? I'm pretty sure it's the head coaches decision on the lineup. I love Spags and all, but I feel we wouldof won that game if Dockery didn't get beaten for huge gains twice.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by thickandthin View Post
    Then whose decision was it??
    He actually said he doubted HOW you claim the decision was made. This might be a little closer to the truth:

Jim Thomas: Spags was asked about it after the game (see my game story) and on Monday as well (I believed Kathleen Nelson blogged that one). Spags basically said that Dockery was playing well, that Fletcher has had some plays in recent games that he'd had some problems on. But I've also been told that the Rams weren't happy with Fletcher's practice habits lately.

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Spags defense is 9th in the league in points allowed. Its better than our offense who can't score more than 17.7 points per game. And Shurmur has the duties to call plays. The only thing good is our offensive run game which averages 100 yards per game, we average 4.5 ypc running for the season and we only give steven jackson the ball 11 times against atlanta. were 28th in the league in points scored with 17.

blame Shurmur if anything, his play calling gets stupid on third down, in the last game we only completed 1 3rd down. And all i see is short passes on third down. Everyone says bradford is good at going through his progressions and i see that too, but i see bradford just dump it short on third down as if it was designed that way. Try some passes beyond the third down marker. We might get something done then.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    blame Shurmur if anything, his play calling gets stupid on third down, in the last game we only completed 1 3rd down. And all i see is short passes on third down. Everyone says bradford is good at going through his progressions and i see that too, but i see bradford just dump it short on third down as if it was designed that way. Try some passes beyond the third down marker. We might get something done then.
    Not that I am defending the play calling completely, but it is decently common on 3rd down to throw short of the marker and try for YAC, as the defense will usually give you those throws, so they sometimes represent your best shot at getting it. The problem is we lack guys who can consistently make defenders miss in open space.

That said, we've had a few 3rd and very long plays converted with big throws from Bradford too. This last game was an exception, but Bradford has generally been excellent on 3rd down.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Honestly I don't know how I feel about Shurmer, but you can't blame him for our recievers not getting out of coverage or catching the ball.