Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By MauiRam
  • 2 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 1 Post By macrammer
  • 3 Post By swatter555

Thread: Spags and company will be here in 2012 and here is why ..

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Spags and company will be here in 2012 and here is why ..

This post is from another forum - I believe the poster brings up some good points ..

By Tyrone Green

I am absolutely not surprised at all that the offense has been ineffective up until now. It is a radically different concept and complicated to execute properly. The language, the blocking scheme, protections, routes, and the run reads have all changed. With no offseason to install all of the changes and an abbreviated training camp there was just no way that Bradford would become Brady this season, period.

I believe the cancelled OTAs and mimi-camps are the root causes of the poor offensive performance so far this season. This was not Spagnuolo's fault. This was explained to Kroenke before the first snap of the preseason, I am sure. The loss of Amendola didn't help, either. My optimistic expectation was that the Rams would have won two games by now. Even with a stunted offense only the Ravens and Packers seemed unwinnable to me. So it is only a mild disappointment to see the Rams at 0-5. They racked up 400 yards last week so now they just have to click in the red zone and the Rams will start winning games they shouldn't. So the season is not lost by any means.

The defense has unexpectedly buckled a number of times during this stretch. This is also pretty easily explained. With the offense choking on all the large pieces of the new learning they have been forced to digest in short order, the defense gets gassed from time to time each game. Add to that the loss of at least two really good corners and you have a recipe for disaster. This, too is not Spagnuolo's fault. I am sure Kroenke understands this as well.

Once the offense clicks, and I believe they will get hot at some point, the defense will catch fire, too. Going forward, barring a bunch of career ending injuries, the Rams are close to becoming a powerful week in and week out winner. For next year with some modest changes on the O-line, the offense I believe is set for next year and beyond. As for the defense, with the addition of a shutdown corner from the draft, an outside linebacker and a powerful DT or two, the defense will become fearsome.

Remember, the architects of the Rams offense and defense won Super Bowls with these systems. Their units were dominant in their SB seasons and were unquestionably key factors in those SB wins. They are legit. OC Josh McDaniels is the right guy because he displays a serious killer instinct not seen around here since Mad Mike. Give him a chance. The players just have to learn to the point that most of them can execute instinctively and this will come in due time. I think the fact that the team at 0-5 is still all-in speaks volumes for Spagnuolo and the other coaches as teachers and leaders.

For the reasons listed above nobody at Rams Park is panicking, especially not Kroenke. Therefore I remain optimistic because I believe the worst is behind us and now the Rams just have to win a game and they are on their way.

That will be this week at the expense of the perennially overblown Cowboys.
    bruce4life likes this.

LA Rammer is online now Registered User

Re: Spags and company will be here in 2012 and here is why ..

sorry when i read the subject i was going to vehemently suggest adding this to Rams to LA section. much to my surprise it wasn't. now here is what i was thinking while reading this, "where in the heck was this offense when we faced the patsys in the SB!" (quoting my thoughts) even if the patsys video taped it they wouldn't be able to figure it out, hog wash!

i am not at the level of i.q. as these folks but to suggest they couldn't get acclimated to this offense is the cause of this debacle is absurd! haven't they ever heard of "keep it simple stupid"?

you are close to getting the franchise killed out there and losing some very valuable pieces, a la Amendola is unacceptable!!! MCD "killer instinct", yeah almost got our QB killed out there!!! NOT SPAGS' FAULT!!!! NOBODY PANICKING AT RAMS PARK!!!! I AM PANICKING BUDDY!!!

GO RAMS!
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Great read....I like it and it makes sense to me. It's very hard to accept that we have gone backwards after the improvement to 7-9 last season. Last season was a teaser and got my hopes up for this season. I still have hope but there have been many nails beaten into the coffin so far. It would be nice to see us get on a roll and gain some momentum, although it's looking like it would be to little to late.
    Finishing strong would hopefully carry us into the 2012 season with that momentum we need.

GO RAMS!

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post

I am absolutely not surprised at all that the offense has been ineffective up until now. It is a radically different concept and complicated to execute properly. The language, the blocking scheme, protections, routes, and the run reads have all changed. With no offseason to install all of the changes and an abbreviated training camp there was just no way that Bradford would become Brady this season, period.
    Didn't other teams have to make adjustments too? And haven't they found a way to win at least one game? This guy needs to stop making excuses...

I believe the cancelled OTAs and mimi-camps are the root causes of the poor offensive performance so far this season. This was not Spagnuolo's fault. This was explained to Kroenke before the first snap of the preseason, I am sure. The loss of Amendola didn't help, either. My optimistic expectation was that the Rams would have won two games by now. Even with a stunted offense only the Ravens and Packers seemed unwinnable to me. So it is only a mild disappointment to see the Rams at 0-5. They racked up 400 yards last week so now they just have to click in the red zone and the Rams will start winning games they shouldn't. So the season is not lost by any means.

I agree totally here. The loss of Amendola really hurt us, not to mention the CB's. We WILL start scoring and being a better team overall once we learn how to put the ball in the end zone. But the season IS LOST. 0-5? ***** 5-1? Please. There is no way that we can get into contention, even if we turn things around completely 360 degrees. And no, it is NOT A MILD disappointment. It is a HUGE disappointment, because we should be 2-3 right now. Period.

The defense has unexpectedly buckled a number of times during this stretch.

And how many times have they done that to us, despite whether the offense is on fire or is pathetic? Horrid run d and pass D for the last 20 years...

This is also pretty easily explained. With the offense choking on all the large pieces of the new learning they have been forced to digest in short order, the defense gets gassed from time to time each game. Add to that the loss of at least two really good corners and you have a recipe for disaster. This, too is not Spagnuolo's fault. I am sure Kroenke understands this as well.

I agree 100%.

Once the offense clicks, and I believe they will get hot at some point, the defense will catch fire, too. Going forward, barring a bunch of career ending injuries, the Rams are close to becoming a powerful week in and week out winner. For next year with some modest changes on the O-line, the offense I believe is set for next year and beyond. As for the defense, with the addition of a shutdown corner from the draft, an outside linebacker and a powerful DT or two, the defense will become fearsome.

I agree with this here, but what makes him think that this is SO easy?? Shutdown corners are hard to find, OLB is hit or miss, and DT is relatively safer. But, having said that, we simply cannot and will not be able to accomplish all of this in one offseason. On top of that, we have not exactly been a team that has HIT in the draft. We have had quite a share of misses...

Remember, the architects of the Rams offense and defense won Super Bowls with these systems. Their units were dominant in their SB seasons and were unquestionably key factors in those SB wins. They are legit. OC Josh McDaniels is the right guy because he displays a serious killer instinct not seen around here since Mad Mike. Give him a chance. The players just have to learn to the point that most of them can execute instinctively and this will come in due time. I think the fact that the team at 0-5 is still all-in speaks volumes for Spagnuolo and the other coaches as teachers and leaders.

For the reasons listed above nobody at Rams Park is panicking, especially not Kroenke. Therefore I remain optimistic because I believe the worst is behind us and now the Rams just have to win a game and they are on their way.

That will be this week at the expense of the perennially overblown Cowboys.
    What makes him think that we are a LOCK to win this game, especially the way we are playing? Please... When's draft day again?

dddddddddddddddddddd

Rambos is online now Registered User

This post is from another forum - I believe the poster brings up some good points ..

By Tyrone Green

This has been said on this board

I believe the cancelled OTAs and mimi-camps are the root causes of the poor offensive performance so far this season. This was not Spagnuolo's fault.
    Said before and I agree

This was explained to Kroenke before the first snap of the preseason, I am sure.
    The rams did not want to change OC they had no choice and this was the wrong year to do it

The loss of Amendola didn't help, either. My optimistic expectation was that the Rams would have won two games by now.
    Said here before

Even with a stunted offense only the Ravens and Packers seemed unwinnable to me. So it is only a mild disappointment to see the Rams at 0-5.
    More then a mild disappointment to me

They racked up 400 yards last week so now they just have to click in the red zone and the Rams will start winning games they shouldn't. So the season is not lost by any means.It's over niners are to far out in front and our secondary in done for the year... would like to see the rams play better on offense though

The defense has unexpectedly buckled a number of times during this stretch. This is also pretty easily explained. With the offense choking on all the large pieces of the new learning they have been forced to digest in short order, the defense gets gassed from time to time each game. Last week when the offense played field positions and had the packers backed up inside the 10, how did gassed play a part in giving up one play pass play for a TD. What part did gassed play in the ravens game where the Rams gave up three TD record time to one WR

Add to that the loss of at least two really good corners and you have a recipe for disaster. This, too is not Spagnuolo's fault. I am sure Kroenke understands this as well.
    No its not I agree, but all teams get them

I think the Rams still have a lot of work to build this team into a SB contender

Remember, the architects of the Rams offense and defense won Super Bowls with these systems. Their units were dominant in their SB seasons and were unquestionably key factors in those SB wins. They are legit. OC Josh McDaniels is the right guy because he displays a serious killer instinct not seen around here since Mad Mike. Give him a chance. The players just have to learn to the point that most of them can execute instinctively and this will come in due time. I think the fact that the team at 0-5 is still all-in speaks volumes for Spagnuolo and the other coaches as teachers and leaders. Mad Mike has not done a think since he was here. it takes great player not just great schemes

The Rams can easily be 0-8 so it can get a lot worse before it get better

That being said Spags will and should be here next year... BUT he will be on the HOT seat for sure, no matter what the circumstances are. It would be a good thing if the Rams could win 5 or 6 games this year and hopefully they go on a nice run at the end of the year and have something to build on.
    Last edited by Rambos; -10-21-2011 at 06:09 PM.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Wow, I never thought of any of these items. Now it all makes sense to me why we look so pathetic. My bad.

richtree is offline Registered User

Look, that write up isn't rocket science. I think the staff is pretty good, and with our second half schedule we should (and everyone expects) to play better on both sides of the ball. That doesn't make us a good team.

If we had to play the same schedule the 2nd half of the season, as our first half we would still lose almost every game.

0-8 first half and maybe 1-7, 2-6 (if same 8 games were played again)....luckily our team has gotten healthier (or adjusted), added Lloyd, and we play a weaker schedule.

I think the potential problem is that if we have a bad second half of the season, with this weaker schedule -- then it may usher this staff out the door (or at least some of them)....

Either way, I want progress each week and I want to see adjustments to areas that aren't working.

#1 CB injuries -- We added new personell (that's a plus)
    #2 WR ability -- We added Lloyd and DX emerging
    #3 Oline -- We didn't fix this yet
    #4 Playcalling -- We didn't fix this yet
    #5 Points -- We didn't fix this yet and is probably the summation of 1-4

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I think the writer makes some valid points- new system, no true off-season with which to get acclimated, etc. And he may very well be right that Spags and company will be here next year. But I'll say it again: other teams who stink (Carolina, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Seattle, and a couple of others have wins. Off-season or no off-season we've shot ourselves in the foot time and again, and that's the fault of the coaches.

EVERY YEAR there is some reason that we aren't successful- new system, new coach, injuries, tough schedule, no off-season, front office strife, the stars aren't aligned, and I'm freaking sick of it. If you look long and hard enough, you can always find a reason why you can't get the job done. Enough. It's time to cowboy up and WIN GAMES.
    macrammer and Ramone like this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    I think the writer makes some valid points- new system, no true off-season with which to get acclimated, etc. And he may very well be right that Spags and company will be here next year. But I'll say it again: other teams who stink (Carolina, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Kansas City, Seattle, and a couple of others have wins. Off-season or no off-season we've shot ourselves in the foot time and again, and that's the fault of the coaches.

EVERY YEAR there is some reason that we aren't successful- new system, new coach, injuries, tough schedule, no off-season, front office strife, the stars aren't aligned, and I'm freaking sick of it. If you look long and hard enough, you can always find a reason why you can't get the job done. Enough. It's time to cowboy up and WIN GAMES.
    The original post was simply another in long line of the camp that wants patience and understanding of why and where we are at. At this point, IMO, the only thing that matters is how we perform on the field. PERIOD. I look forward to the game on Sunday and hope we can represent the organization in the manner that is beffitting the Ram tradition. Time to move past ineptitude.
    NJ Ramsfan1 likes this.

swatter555 is offline Registered User

I don't think he makes a very strong argument. He starts by saying the Rams are only mildly disappointing being 0-5. As has been stated many times here, its not that they are 0-5, its how they are 0-5. The Rams have once again looked like they cannot compete in the NFL. The biggest contributing factors to Rams suckage have been coaching problems- penalties and mental errors. I would bet that almost every single stalled drive could be attributed to a mental error by someone (OL, WR, TE, RB). I did not turn my back on Spags because the Rams are 0-5, I have lost my faith because of the constant problems with coaching and focus. Coaching is the X-factor that transcends talent and scheme, and Spags is clearly struggling.

I am also tired of hearing the short preseason excuse. Many teams have installed new schemes this year and are winning. This excuse is the most pathetic and needs to be left alone once and for all.

He then talks about how once the Rams get hot, they "are close to becoming a powerful week in and week out winner." He just pulled that from his butt. There has been zero indication this year that the Rams can effectively and consistently play NFL caliber football. This is the same mistake that AV makes almost every week in his predictions. Instead of paying attention to on-field performance, he relies on his personal feelings of hoping the Rams will win.

I think whether Spags keeps his job at this point is more tied to execution on-field than wins in the standings. If the Rams continue with the litany of penalties and other mental mistakes, Spags is gone. If the Rams clamp down, focus, and compete consistently, he has a chance.

snackdaddy is offline Registered User

I would love to see Spags get another year. But I'm not convinced this team will win enough to save his job. I know we're all looking at the schedule and waiting for it to get easier. But what in the first 5 games gives us reason to believe we'll turn things around then? Think about it. If the Rams get a first and goal situation, anyone who has followed the team knows what's coming next. The false start. Only question is, where is to going to come from? Then, after the false start comes the sack, because the defense knows its going to be a pass. They pin their ears back against the overmatched OL and go after the QB. Then, if we're lucky, we settle for a 40 yard plus FG. If we're not so lucky, we punt. As a fan, this is what I expect to see game in and game out. I would love them to prove me wrong. But they haven't yet.