View Poll Results: Retained or Fired

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spags Retained, Billy D Retained: Stick it out

25 55.56%
  • Spags Fired, Billy D Fired: Time to Bring a new Regime in

9 20.00%
  • Spags Fired, Billy D Retained: Spags just can't coach but thats not on Billy D

9 20.00%
  • Spags Retained, Billy D Fired: It's not Spags fault Billy D screwed him w talent

2 4.44%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Spags and Devaney: Retained or Fired at season's end?

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

Spags and Devaney: Retained or Fired at season's end?

For those of you who think that Spags is going to stay because of the injuries card I don't understand it. Didn't GB have Major injuries last year? More than we had, and went on to win the Super Bowl?

For those who think the injury thing than answer that statement with "Well, GB is more talented." Think about what you just said. Why is GB more talented? Because or GM has done a shotty job building this team. And our coach has done a shotty job coaching.

Bottomline: Who Stays, who goes?

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Re: Spags and Devaney: Retained or Fired at season's end?

Just look at the Headcoaches whom Spagnoala has assisted. You can see how Spags operated. Good cop, bad cop. You have to have a bad cop, and it ain't Spags. He can't chew asses and make these nuckleheads work. That's why Linehead didn't cut it either. Mr. Nice guys arent' the answer. Wish we could keep Spags on though, but it's back to New York Id say.
    Kiss my ass, football gods

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

If you remember Green Bay didnt do very well in the regular season and just barely made it to the playoffs. It was only in January that they start looking like a team that couldnt be beat. Also Ted Thompson has been the GM of the Packers for 6 years. Devaney has only been the GM since just after the 08 season. That means GB had a lot more time to draft and cultivate talent, and build a team that way they wanted to. So you can continue your little crusade against the current FO or you can do a little research and not make a sensationalist post every other day about how Devaney and Spags need to be fired.
    Goldenfleece and Dr. Defense like this.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

A lot of variables here, with a lot depending on how the rest of the season goes. If the team can improve and compete, I don't see any reason Spags and Devaney won't get the benefit of the doubt. These are the same guys who took a 1-15 team to 7-9 in a single season.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams will have to do a complete 360 in performance to save Spags his job. Who's the scapegoat in all this remains to be seen,? but Im betting it will be Spags. Im not sure his vision for this team is the right one. He has tried to built a meat and potatoes type team, yet the Rams play at least 50% of their games on field turf. The Rams recently have looked outmatched when they have took to the field at the Ed. Just a thought.!!
    live4ramin likes this.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Still too early to tell but I think Spags and Devaney will be kept.

Korenke, in my opinion, had to set back as a part owner and watch us burn through 3 coaches in 4 years. That lack of stability and a lot of bad choices put us in a massive, massive hole. How massive? Well if you look around it's hard to pick a position we haven't upgraded at... and yet we still suck. lol.

I admit it's a rough year so far. Not because of the losses but the lack of fundamentals... but I don't understand how anyone can think a short off-season, new OC, tons of injuries and a killer schedule doesn't take any of the blame for this. All of the blame? No. But a good chunk? Yes. I mean, my guess here, when you have to take time out of a practice to explain a play to your 8th on the depth chart CB it can ripple through the whole practice.

I know it's old to say it's darkest before the dawn but I just don't think the gap between where we are now and having a winning program is a far as it feels. Cause right now it feels like the Grand Canyon. : )
    viper, Richbert88 and GolfnRAMFAN like this.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by THOLTFAN81 View Post
    For those of you who think that Spags is going to stay because of the injuries card I don't understand it. Didn't GB have Major injuries last year? More than we had, and went on to win the Super Bowl?

For those who think the injury thing than answer that statement with "Well, GB is more talented." Think about what you just said. Why is GB more talented? Because or GM has done a shotty job building this team. And our coach has done a shotty job coaching.

Bottomline: Who Stays, who goes?
    The Packers didn't have 7 corners on IR. They didn't lose their #1, #2, and #3 corners. I'd bet if they lost Charles Woodson, Tramon Williams, and Sam Shields for the year they wouldn't have won. I do agree that DeSpags needs to build up this roster better from top to bottom.

At the end of the day, I believe Spags and Devaney both stay.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Careful guys. Not matter what you say he is only going to use the tired worn out old come back, "you're just making excuses." Because anytime someone posts responses with explanations about how they are comparing apples to oranges they just dismiss anyone elses opinion as "excuses". Green Bay hasn't been as destroyed a franchise as we have been ever as far as I can recall. And they have had a very stable GM and HC position for a long time. That stability crosses over into team stability as well. Our team is not, and has not been, stable in a long time. It always amazes me the number of people who scream at the top of their lungs, "Injuries are not an excuse!" and yet if you go back every single year, the teams with the most injuries of their top talent rarely make the play offs. And that is even with teams that have a fair amount of depth. We do not have that depth. And the loss of the off season DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! No matter how blind you want to be to the truth! Even on a stable extablished GOOD team, installing a new system takes a lot of time and work. We are NOT a good team yet. So installing the new system will take even longer.

So go ahead and scream bloody blue murder that Spag and Dev need to go. You yourself are part of the problem. Not the solution. Continue the carousel of GM and HC to have yet another year of installing a new system, cutting and signing of new people to crash whatever team chemistry have started to develop, cause more and more instability, or actually open a crack of sanity in your head and allow some patience and reason to enter. I absolutely feel that both Spags and Dev have been moving this team in the right direction over all, and they deserve to have the rest of this year and the next off season to continue the resurrection of a dead and buried franchise.

fearsome foursome is offline Registered User

I think that Spags,Devaney, and the offense and defense coaches should stay but some position coaches need to be replaced. The players play sloppy football because they are unprepared.
    live4ramin likes this.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Fair points have been raised about Green Bay. Yes, they had injuries, but no, they didn't lose their top three corners and their top receiver (also note that arguably our second best receiver, Clayton, has been out from the beginning). One could certainly argue that a concentration of injuries at one or two specific positions is harder to deal with from a depth perspective than losing the same number of players spread out to different positions across the roster.

They also never dug themselves into the kind of hole roster-wise that Devaney inherited when he took over the position. A few years ago, we practically had an expansion team quality roster aside from Steven Jackson, Ron Bartell and O.J. Atogwe.

BarronWade is offline Registered User

I think Billy Devaneys job is more safe than spags. He has made some good moves over the years with the clayton trade... choosing Laurinatis over maulauga... Taking Jason Smith and not Andre Smith ... the 2 corners we drafted in the 3rd round appear to be solid starters Murphey and Fletcher ... remember we got Jason Brown 1st day of free agency even though he had many teams after him ... Roger Saffold.

As of right now i think we do have talent of the field we just need to execute. When a team does not execute people typically blame the head coach.

However the only way i see us firing spags this off-season is if Cower or Gruden or some other high profile coach wants to become Rams head coach... So i voted to keep Devaney and fire spags (sorry) i just want cower

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Fire SPAGS and Devaney? Start all over again? NO WAY! First let me say we will see improvement and it will be this season. I, like just about everyone else am very disappointed in SPAGS so far this season.
    As far as this season goes he really has no where to go but up from here on out. I don't think losses to the Packers or the Saints are going to hurt him at all. Unless of course we get blown out in both games BIGTIME. We are going to win game(s) this season. How many? Only SPAGS hairdresser knows

Let's face it both SPAGS and Devaney have a list of excuses (good or bad) to fall back on.

Schedule
    Key injuries ( Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Ron Bartell )
    New Offensive Coordinator
    2nd year QB learning a new offense

As much as I hate to say it I really believe we should stay the course and not look to start all over again.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Fire SPAGS and Devaney? Start all over again? NO WAY! First let me say we will see improvement and it will be this season. I, like just about everyone else am very disappointed in SPAGS so far this season.
    As far as this season goes he really has no where to go but up from here on out. I don't think losses to the Packers or the Saints are going to hurt him at all. Unless of course we get blown out in both games BIGTIME. We are going to win game(s) this season. How many? Only SPAGS hairdresser knows

Let's face it both SPAGS and Devaney have a list of excuses (good or bad) to fall back on.

Schedule
    Key injuries ( Steven Jackson, Danny Amendola, Ron Bartell )
    New Offensive Coordinator
    2nd year QB learning a new offense

As much as I hate to say it I really believe we should stay the course and not look to start all over again.
    I don't think the schedule should be an excuse, yes it is front loaded with good teams,but it is what it is,if you played a bunch of teams the quality of the Rams and won does that make you a better team,no it just means you beat a couple of crappy teams,to get to the next level you have to play and beat better teams,we played a lighter schedule last season,won more games and what did that really prove,it just made everyone think they were better than they were, I agree this team lacks talent but the whole organization needs a culture change from the top down, losing has become acceptable,no one is held accountable for how they do there job whatever it may be,even fans make excuses for them and then that way it becomes acceptable because we have this problem or we have that problem and so on,most people are already accepting the fact that we may be 0-7,thats crap,thats a losing mentality and why this organization is in the jam it's in, It won't be easy but I say we go up to Green Bay and cut out the mistakes because if you make them you will be held accountable and kick there butts, stop making excuses for losing and get this thing turned around.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -10-08-2011 at 12:38 PM. Reason: changing post

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    I don't think the schedule should be an excuse, yes it is front loaded with good teams,but it is what it is,if you played a bunch of teams the quality of the Rams and won does that make you a better team,no it just means you beat a couple of crappy teams,to get to the next level you have to play and beat better teams,we played a lighter schedule last season,won more games and what did that really prove,it just made everyone think they were better than they were, I agree this team lacks talent but the whole organization needs a culture change from the top down, losing has become acceptable,no one is held accountable for how they do there job whatever it may be,even fans make excuses for them and then that way it becomes acceptable because we have this problem or we have that problem and so on,most people are already accepting the fact that we may be 0-7,thats crap,thats a losing mentality and why this organization is in the jam it's in, It won't be easy but I say we go up to Green Bay and cut out the mistakes because if you make them you will be held accountable and kick there butts, stop making excuses for losing and get this thing turned around.
    See guys I told you. We are all just making excuses. No direct response to why any of your"reasons" are not valid. Just, "You are making excuses." You want to have a conversation about the team, then offer valid responses and stop dismissing anyone elses point of view. Because until you do you are contributing to the problem and not the solution.

Players have been getting disciplined, (Bell getting benched during a game) Just because you don't see other players getting yanked doesn't mean they aren't being held accountable.

Let's take your step and cut all our CBs. Okay, who do we replace them with? Where is your list of readilly available CBs? I don't see it.
    Cut the O-Line. Fine. Where is your list of readily available competent linesmen? I don't see it.
    Cut the receivers. Fine. Where is your list of readily available receivers? I don't see it.

All you are doing is ranting and raving with no positive suggestions to any question. Do us all a favor and go rant somewhere else. As you may have noted I am not in the minority when it comes to being sick and tired of pessimistic, negative, ranting, rabid, and overreacting posters.

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rampingitup View Post
    See guys I told you. We are all just making excuses. No direct response to why any of your"reasons" are not valid. Just, "You are making excuses." You want to have a conversation about the team, then offer valid responses and stop dismissing anyone elses point of view. Because until you do you are contributing to the problem and not the solution.

Players have been getting disciplined, (Bell getting benched during a game) Just because you don't see other players getting yanked doesn't mean they aren't being held accountable.

Let's take your step and cut all our CBs. Okay, who do we replace them with? Where is your list of readilly available CBs? I don't see it.
    Cut the O-Line. Fine. Where is your list of readily available competent linesmen? I don't see it.
    Cut the receivers. Fine. Where is your list of readily available receivers? I don't see it.

All you are doing is ranting and raving with no positive suggestions to any question. Do us all a favor and go rant somewhere else. As you may have noted I am not in the minority when it comes to being sick and tired of pessimistic, negative, ranting, rabid, and overreacting posters.
    listen, I am entitled to my opinion just like you are,you want examples you gave 1,thats right 1 of a player being disciplined,maybe theres more, maybe theres not, disclipline doesn't have to cut from the team and I do take exception to your comment about going elsewhere, I have been on this site for a long time and have had many good conversations with alot of quality guys here,you not being one of them,in the future if you don't like what I said either don't read it or you take your opinion elsewhere.
    Last edited by jkramsfan; -10-08-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast