View Poll Results: Retained or Fired

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Spags Retained, Billy D Retained: Stick it out

25 55.56%
  • Spags Fired, Billy D Fired: Time to Bring a new Regime in

9 20.00%
  • Spags Fired, Billy D Retained: Spags just can't coach but thats not on Billy D

9 20.00%
  • Spags Retained, Billy D Fired: It's not Spags fault Billy D screwed him w talent

2 4.44%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Spags and Devaney: Retained or Fired at season's end?

jkramsfan Guest

Re: Spags and Devaney: Retained or Fired at season's end?

and one other thing we have nothing to do with either the problem or the solution, we are fans voicing our opinions,what we think or do will make no difference on Sundays on the field,so you may want to take this for what it is a discussion and thats it.

Rampingitup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jkramsfan View Post
    and one other thing we have nothing to do with either the problem or the solution, we are fans voicing our opinions,what we think or do will make no difference on Sundays on the field,so you may want to take this for what it is a discussion and thats it.
    The problem is that you are doing what you claim I am doing. You are entitled to your opinion, but you do not afford that same right to us. You are not discussing. You are arguing. And you are being entirely negative in your arguing. When one of us posts our opinion you and your group come rushing in and start screaming, "You're making excuses! You're making excuses!" That is not a discussion. That is raving. And I am not the only person tired of it. Even some of the Mods are tired of it.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rampingitup View Post
    The problem is that you are doing what you claim I am doing. You are entitled to your opinion, but you do not afford that same right to us. You are not discussing. You are arguing. And you are being entirely negative in your arguing. When one of us posts our opinion you and your group come rushing in and start screaming, "You're making excuses! You're making excuses!" That is not a discussion. That is raving. And I am not the only person tired of it. Even some of the Mods are tired of it.
    ok, I can see your point, but it is not meant to be taken that way,I was simply stating that I thought the problem is a losing culture in the organization,maybe could have picked words other than excuse but I didn't, thats just my opinion, not a groups opinion,I could be 100% wrong and will admit that if I am, but I don't think we should be jumping on frustrated fans, they have a right to be that way,and as I said in the big picture does it really matter what the hell I think anyways ? I apologize if I ticked anyone off including you.
    live4ramin likes this.

macrammer is online now Registered User

After first 4 games......

The Rams are 0-4 and arguably one of the bottom feeder of the NFL
    The Rams were universally expected to play and progress over last year
    The Rams are in the hunt for most missed passes in league
    The Rams have spent a ton of money on their o-line and thus far, not seeing the return on investment
    The Rams are in the hunt for most penalties in the league
    The Rams have 5 offensive TDs in 4 game
    The Rams have allowed 3 TD's to be scored by opposing team on fumbles
    The Rams have broken down in all fundamental aspects
    The Rams' first 7 week schedule was/is brutal
    The Rams have had huge issues with injuries
    Sam Bradford has turned into a tackling dummy

Who is happy with Rams performance thus far? While injuries and schedule have been a big part of our record, who can honestly say that the fundamentals are there? In Philadelpha game, we allowed a 75% 3rd down coversion rate. In at least 4 of those conversions, we had the Philadelphia player dead to rights and we whiffed on the tackle. Had we made those tackles, who knows what final outcome would have been. At the very least, we would have got our D off of the field and perhaps they would have had the extra gas in the tank so th 4th qtr collapse does not take place

Giants game was ours for the taking. We outplayed this team most of the way but failed again at the basic funadamentals for the game thus 0-2

Ravens, we were out of that game after first offensive series. I does beg the question, why did we not make the proper adjustments to stop the throw and catch that had us in a 21-0 hole before my first beer was done.
    We all saw that game. It was flat out embarrassing and we really had no energy or heart.

Redskins game was there for the taking as well. We did make nice comeback, hopefully we can build on that.
    But once again the basic fundamentals cost us this game and the team lacked any type of real energy until 4th qtr. D played better though.

By my unscientific calculation, even with the staggering number of key injuries and tough schedule, we could have been 2-2. at 2-2, we are in the hunt and not looking up from the bottom as we are now.

You seem to want to attack anyone that has an opposing view of your opinion. It really means nothing to me when you throuw out the mods as being in your supposed camp. Does not and will not change my view.

If you are satisfied with where the Rams sit at this point due to all of the reasons you have listed, shortened camp, new OC, schedule, injuires etc. then I respect your stance on that but I do disagree. And, when you continually list these issues, they do come across as excuses, IMO.
    live4ramin likes this.

Rampingitup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by macrammer View Post
    After first 4 games......

The Rams are 0-4 and arguably one of the bottom feeder of the NFL
    The Rams were universally expected to play and progress over last year
    The Rams are in the hunt for most missed passes in league
    The Rams have spent a ton of money on their o-line and thus far, not seeing the return on investment
    The Rams are in the hunt for most penalties in the league
    The Rams have 5 offensive TDs in 4 game
    The Rams have allowed 3 TD's to be scored by opposing team on fumbles
    The Rams have broken down in all fundamental aspects
    The Rams' first 7 week schedule was/is brutal
    The Rams have had huge issues with injuries
    Sam Bradford has turned into a tackling dummy

Who is happy with Rams performance thus far? While injuries and schedule have been a big part of our record, who can honestly say that the fundamentals are there? In Philadelpha game, we allowed a 75% 3rd down coversion rate. In at least 4 of those conversions, we had the Philadelphia player dead to rights and we whiffed on the tackle. Had we made those tackles, who knows what final outcome would have been. At the very least, we would have got our D off of the field and perhaps they would have had the extra gas in the tank so th 4th qtr collapse does not take place

Giants game was ours for the taking. We outplayed this team most of the way but failed again at the basic funadamentals for the game thus 0-2

Ravens, we were out of that game after first offensive series. I does beg the question, why did we not make the proper adjustments to stop the throw and catch that had us in a 21-0 hole before my first beer was done.
    We all saw that game. It was flat out embarrassing and we really had no energy or heart.

Redskins game was there for the taking as well. We did make nice comeback, hopefully we can build on that.
    But once again the basic fundamentals cost us this game and the team lacked any type of real energy until 4th qtr. D played better though.

By my unscientific calculation, even with the staggering number of key injuries and tough schedule, we could have been 2-2. at 2-2, we are in the hunt and not looking up from the bottom as we are now.

You seem to want to attack anyone that has an opposing view of your opinion. It really means nothing to me when you throuw out the mods as being in your supposed camp. Does not and will not change my view.

If you are satisfied with where the Rams sit at this point due to all of the reasons you have listed, shortened camp, new OC, schedule, injuires etc. then I respect your stance on that but I do disagree. And, when you continually list these issues, they do come across as excuses, IMO.
    Nope, I have a problem with the negative people that run through the forum screaming, "You're making excuses, you're making excuses!" and have nothing constructive to say. Yes I am frustrated too. At times I am even angry. And I have posted critical comments. You at least are talking about issues, admit when there is something causing an problem without raging incoherently. You raise pertinent questions, and I am not dismising someone elses view out of hand. I am not dismissing yours out of hand. I happen to agree with some of it. I have an issue with the posters who run in trash everyone in site and dismiss all other points of views as "Making excuses." Your post above does none of that.

jkramsfan Guest

I don't have a problem with your opinion, I just don't agree, just as you don't agree with mine, thats fine but where do you get this arguing and screaming from,I am doing neither and if you read my first post I said I am not with the 0-7 start most think we will have so how is that negative,check this teams record over the past 6-7 seasons and I don't think my opinion of a losing culture is that bizarre and no I don't have alot stats to back that up just the horrible record during that time period.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    At the end of the day, I believe Spags and Devaney both stay.
    Weren't you all over Gruden's ass after we beat ourselves up against the Redskins?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fliptalianstallion View Post
    Weren't you all over Gruden's ass after we beat ourselves up against the Redskins?
    If I could go back in time, yes I would have taken Gruden over Spags. I want Spags to stay because making Bradford learn another system is just ridiculous. We'd only set ourselves back again. I do think Gruden is a better coach, but because of those reasons I think they should both stay.

I do have belief in Spags. He has to do a better job making in-game adjustments. For 2 years now we come out of the half and look bad.

jkramsfan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by sosa39rams View Post
    If I could go back in time, yes I would have taken Gruden over Spags. I want Spags to stay because making Bradford learn another system is just ridiculous. We'd only set ourselves back again. I do think Gruden is a better coach, but because of those reasons I think they should both stay.

I do have belief in Spags. He has to do a better job making in-game adjustments. For 2 years now we come out of the half and look bad.
    I like Spags to and I think a change would set this team back yet again,even though Stan may not have a choice and just for conversation sake Spags has not made good in game adjustments for 2 and a quarter seasons,what makes us think he will do it or can do it now and if he does why didn't he do them before ? learning curve ? maybe

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I have never been one to accept excuses. But injuries ARE a legitimate reason a team in the NFL may not be as good as they could be. The problem is, we've been down this road before 2 years ago when it seemed like everyone and their brother was injured. Now, in a season which has gone south early, it has happened again. I know its not easy, but you have to be able to overcome losses to personnel without having it destroy your season, or it comes off as an excuse for a poor record. And injuries have NOTHING to do with bad, fundamentally poor football, penalties and a lack of fire- all problems which ail the Rams.

I think we all want Spags and Devaney to succeed. Change is usually not good, especially so soon into the tenure of two guys we hoped would be the ones to lead the Rams out of their decade-long malaise. But this IS a results-driven business. And at the end of the day, no one cares about the injuries, the schedule or the stars not being aligned- they care about the record. And these two have reason to worry if this team doesn't start playing good, competitive football and eliminating the mistakes.

I think jkramsfan made a good point in that a lot of people- fans as well as some in the media- mistakenly thought the Rams were much better than they really are on the heels of a 7-9 season last year. Yes, we improved. But we still are not ready to take that next step- not against the better teams in the league. What's alarming is that we've regressed even beneath that, and that's what has me enraged- and Spags job in possible jeopardy.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    And injuries have NOTHING to do with bad, fundamentally poor football, penalties and a lack of fire- all problems which ail the Rams.
    For the most part, I agree with what you're saying here. These guys are professionals and there is no excuse for commiting stupid penalties, not knowing the snap count, not knowing formations, not catching perfectly thrown balls, not wraping up on tackles, blowing assignments, and playing unsound football. I do think though that when you suffer a lot of injuries and are forced to play inferior talent, rookies, and inexperienced players, those types of mistakes are going to be made.

For the veterans, the guys who have shown they can play good football, excuses simply don't apply, especially when it comes to showing fire and giving maximum effort. That is flat out inexcusable.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Don't get me wrong, I'm as disappointed as the next Rams fan about their performances in the first four games.

However, it's FOUR games.

The way I see it is that before the season started I projected an "at best" record of 2-5 for the Rams before they got to the easy part of their schedule. I saw winning possibilties in the Washington game and Cowboys game with an outside chance in the Giants game. They had a chance to win the Redskins game and gave away the Giants game, but in the end, they're still only one game behind where I thought they'd be with the talent they have and the schedule they had to play.

This talk of dumping Spags and Devaney at this point, to me, is ridiculous. IF...there is no progress (injuries or not) the remainder of the schedule then yes, I think the owner needs to re-evaluate the entire front office, coaching staff and players.

We knew this team was going to struggle early on, at least those that were honest with themselves and took a real look at this team. ...and they have. Injuries to key players has made the task that much more daunting, to say the least. But I'm not giving up just yet on this team or the staff. I'm not saying that Spags IS the guy, because I was one that questioned his coaching last year in the final Seattle game. But I want to see the rest of the season before I make a call on this staff.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

I really think the coaches that need work, are the position coaches. We need a new O-line coach. We need a new Receiving coach. These are the two positions that seems to be killing us the most. the most dropped passes in the league, and the quarterback that gets hits the most in this league. Bradford got hit 60 plus times according to boomer on ESPN. We need to get him some protection. But who does this fall on for not changing that? Spags. Spags is too much of a nice guy, i wish it would work right away, cause it did with dick vermeil. But Dick Vermeil had time.

Dick vermeil was notorious of being a hard nosed coach, and it was a tough road for him doing so. But with the rams he took a different approach. He tried the nice guy approach with the rams. It was very successful for him, but i think the difference is he had a lot of years under his belt as head coach. With Spags, we need to give him time.
    The reason i say we need to give spags time, is the ability to rebuild. We almost basically needed to rebuild the team other than steven jackson.This year we got a brand new offense this year. Shurmur had 2 years then our offense started moving. the first season he was there we did nothing, we felt out the team.

you have to admit we did make some good moves finding Amendola, and Clayton. All we need is another receiver, someone who can stay up and stay healthy which is all by luck in the nfl. We have to invest in a good receiver and a d-lineman coming out of the draft next year, or i completely lose faith in the regime. I am thinking the reason we haven't gone after a big receiver is because of money also. Because of the state of our franchise, the owners are not sure where to invest money. But we better start investing money in some big guys cause we haven't been in the playoffs forever.

please remember, we have the hardest schedule this season, and we are an extremely young team. In light of the new offense and the injures to key receivers and the letting go of Donnie Avery, i think we need time, I myself am tired of being patient. But i won't root for any other team. I bleed blue and yellow. But give Spags some time. Like raiderh8r said above if we are crap at the end of this season. Then we should start a evaluation.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -10-09-2011 at 01:06 PM.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Fire both at the end of the season, let McDaniels coach and maybe bring in Parcells to GM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by dgr828 View Post
    Fire both at the end of the season, let McDaniels coach and maybe bring in Parcells to GM.
    I would vomit if McDaniels was named head coach. He was horrendous in Denver, both arrogant and in over his head. Don't think Kroenke- who owns teams in Colorado- didn't notice this. And he's hardly distinguished himself thus far in the early going with the Rams, unable to get anything going or adjust to the Rams' inability to protect Bradford.

As far as Parcells is concerned, he's done. He absolutely sucked with Miami and all but quit on them at the end.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast