View Poll Results: In his first year which is more important for Spagnuolo's coaching career?

Voters
61. You may not vote on this poll
  • Improving the offensive.

3 4.92%
  • Improving the deffensive.

22 36.07%
  • He has to improve them both or it will look bad.

36 59.02%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rambunctious is offline Registered User

Spags first year

I know we want both sides of the ball to improve and the win totals to increase but which is better for Spags to accomplish in his first year... developing a much better defense or offense?

The obvious answer I think would be defense but since this is obvious does it leave him open to "Yea he is a great defensive coach but can he be a great head coach" criticism?

Basically if we give up fewer points but keep scoring the same would you consider that a successful first year?

dgr828 is offline Registered User

Re: Spags first year

Spagettio, coming from a defensive background and frame of mind, must improve the Rams in this area, without question. Jim Haslett was the Rams defensive coordinator before becoming the interim HC last year. Haslett did little to change the poor play from the Rams defensive.
    Hopefully after the Draft and FA period, Spags will have the Rams defensive foundation laid, giving a positive outlook for the future, in time for training camp.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

clarasDK is offline Registered User

I voted for improve defence.

I think it easier to win games with a good defence and a bad offence then vice versa.

And we have to many issues right now to be able to repair both offence and defence within one year (I hope I am wrong on this one though )

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I voted for both. He's not just a DC anymore. As our Headcoach he's ultimately responsible for every aspect of our team. Offense, Defense and Special Teams. Not to mention WINS and LOSSES.

Spags has a tall order to fill. Really though after our team has gone from an injury plagued 3-13 to a miserable 2-14, it would seem tough to go anywhere but up.

Spags put together his own coaching staff. These guys where his choice, so again, the whole ball of wax is on him.

MarshallMarshall Guest

I voted for both. A more Improved Defense and run game is where i expect immediate improvements.. I can't wait to see who Shurmur wants to back up Jackson.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallMarshall View Post
    I voted for both. A more Improved Defense and run game is where i expect immediate improvements.. I can't wait to see who Shurmur wants to back up Jackson.

Unfortunately for Shurmur, his "choice" to back up Jackson will probably have to be made more off of fiscal factors than by his "wants". that being said, yes it will be interesting to see who the Rams have in the backfield behind SJ.

given the financial plight of the team in relation to needs, boy it sure would be nice to see Brian Leonard play up to potential and help justify all the high draft pick funds that have headed his way. if not, its just more precious cap space that will have to be used to acquire a viable running threat behind SJ. since the HC and OC want to get bigger though... maybe its already too late.

go Rams!

jmk321 is offline Registered User

The Rams need to be a more balanced team. Just look at the playoffs this year. The Cardinals never would've made it to the Superbowl if their defense didn't start playing well once they got into the playoffs and The Steelers certainly wouldn't have won the superbowl if Ben had played in the playoffs like he did in the regular season. There needs to be balance on both sides of the ball but occasionally just a great defense can win championships.

maineram Guest

I would rather see Spags put his stamp on the defense this year. His strength is the defense, and he will grow ( if we're lucky) into an all around coach on both sides of the ball but c'mon, it's his first year !! I'd rather see us put money in free agency and draft picks into strengthening the defense this year than spotting new players throughout the roster and trying to strengthen the entire team. I'm not saying use every pick and all our cap space on the defense, but this year if we were geared to really solidifying the defense I think it would be a very wise move.

Holding teams to three & out's and giving the ball back to the offense is better than being down 21 - 0 and having the offense play catch up !!!!

Maineram -

39thebeast is offline Registered User

definately defense becuase that is what wins championships

RamOfDenmark Guest

I say both. It won't be easy, not at all. But we are so laughably bad on both sides of the ball that just improving defense won't be enough to win significantly more games in 2009 (assuming we don't get a world class defense in one year, which seems like a safe assumption). Steady improvements on both sides of the ball is what I expect as well as good draft picks (of course we won't know that until later). No miracles, no huge free agent signings, just steady progress on both sides of the ball until we are ready to compete which probably will not be in his first year.

tonyray05 Guest

I voted for both, but after thinking about it a little longer. What I remember about our GSOT years is not the THE CATCH, but the TACKLE. Lets our #1 be Curry. Defense wins Super Bowls.
    Last edited by tonyray05; -02-27-2009 at 01:13 PM.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

If he is truly a GREAT coach, he'll improve the OFFENSE AND SPECIAL TEAMS ...

He's a strong defensive guy, it's a given he'll improve that side of the ball ...

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Ideally both.

I'd actually say establishing something...anything with a pulse.. on the offensive side of the ball is most important. The defense isn't great, but I think that as they were on the field so much, the statistics do not tell the entire story.

AlphaRam Guest

Until we can quit doing so many three and outs, the defense will be worn out. We have to solidify the O-line before anything else will work.

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    definately defense becuase that is what wins championships
    How quickly we forget " The Greatest Show On Turf "

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast