throwback week

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Is Spags getting a fair shake from us?

bradwill is offline Registered User

Re: Is Spags getting a fair shake from us?

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    I hate the, "well 31 other teams were locked out too" statement. Do you really think the lockout effected Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Drew Brees like it effected Sam Bradford?

I'm busy cramming for finals, who wants to go look up how QB's in a new offense did this year?
    (Alex Smith may be having his best year, but thats not saying much, and he has a heck of a lot more talent currently around him)
    Cam Newton
    Andy Dalton
    Alex Smith
    Houston Texans using their 3rd string QB now and being 10-3 WITH very significant injuries this season including their prime weapons Johnson and Foster missing several games.
    Tim Tebow having to "learn a new system" in Denver with new HC John Fox.

Why didn't the shortened off-season decimate these teams also and render them into an uncompetitive wreck?
    THOLTFAN81 and NJ Ramsfan1 like this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

I think you could actually argue (for arguments sake) that Cam Newton, Tim Tebow and possibly Andy Dalton were not actually learning new systems at all, so much as using systems modified from the systems they were used to.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

At the end of the day, despite all the turmoil, you expect Spags to make the most out of what he has to work with. At the very least, you expect to have a team prepared, you expect basic fundamental execution, and relatively sound decision making. Spags simply hasn't done that and is being judged accordingly. IMO, he's received more than a fair shake, for some time.

macrammer is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    I think you could actually argue (for arguments sake) that Cam Newton, Tim Tebow and possibly Andy Dalton were not actually learning new systems at all, so much as using systems modified from the systems they were used to.
    Good point. Could be coaches realized what they were dealing with and utilized system that was played to the talent around them v. putting whole new system in and then not making any real adjustments.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

For what it's worth, I am in the keep Spag's camp for the following reasons:

1. He deferred alot of offensive responsibility to McD, so I can't necessarily put that on him.

2. The defense, EVEN with the injuries, has for the most part been playing hard. NOW, the pattern is that they are getting worn down, but with any help from the anemic offense they would probably hold up better. So, IMO, he's influencing Frejole, or Frejole is flat out coaching up the stiffs he has.

3. He, or McD, has attempted some minor adjustments, ie.....removing Brown. I think that the injuries do effect performance when you consider that everytime you have to bring in fresh blood, which has been done extensively due to injuries, you lose continuity in that that new blood must get up to speed with the systems, and thus prevents the further installation of systems, which hurts this offense.

4. If the Rams had gone 5-11 or worse in year two of Spag's after that 1-15 season, I don't think the fans would be nearly as paniced, becuase expectations would have been more realistic for this season with that monster of a starting schedule.

5. I remember Bill Bilecheat. He wasn't the smartest or best operator as a head coach when he started out. He's developed though. I think Spag's, with the proper feedback, ie team president and active owner, can develop into a decent coach and learn from his mistakes. Getting a new coach, including one that was previously fired, wouldn't guarantee a fix here. I would almost certainly guarantee that the cycle the Rams are in gets started fresh though. Wanna develop on field talent, how about developing coaching talent.

6. I don't think Spag's has lost this team. I think McD has lost Sam and probably most of the team though.

7. Which brings me to my last thought on this. McD hasn't done this team or Spag's any favors. Play calling. Scheme. Inflexibility. Whenever I watch a Rams game and watch the offense in particular, I just think of McD getting his rear canned after the Rams beat Denver and wonder why he's doing the things he's doing. (I know, paranoid).
    Last edited by Richbert88; -12-15-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Semper Fi!

mh-i is offline Registered User

Everybody else in our division has a similar schedule.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

Like I've said before it's freaking football. McDaniels offense isn't splitting an atom.
    THOLTFAN81 likes this.

It's true that we aren't splitting atoms over here (how's that for an explosive offense?) but I think it's silly not to play to the strengths of your players. It's like saying there was nothing wrong with waiting as long as they did to hand Steven Jackson the ball on the goal line was ok, because its part of the system and it should just work.

Well, playing to strengths of your players includes putting Steven Jackson on the damn field and giving him the damn football on the damn one yard line (sorry, that play series pissed me off as much as Jackson). Tom Brady is regarded as one of the best QBs in the league, but you still make an offense built around his strengths right? You don't just put him in an offense that doesn't suit his abilities and then tell people not to worry about it because it's not rocket science, it's just football.

Good coaches, like good generals, play to the strengths of their team (or army, in the case of generals). Patton wasn't asked to bomb Berlin from the air with his tanks, so why should we be surprised when Bradford is asked to fit into a system that doesn't play to his strengths as a QB and things don't work out the first season in the system? Should he be playing better? Yes, that would be great. Should we ignore the fact that the coaches have tried the round peg, square hole approach? No, we shouldn't.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by mh-i View Post
    Everybody else in our division has a similar schedule.
    Everybody else in the division doesn't have similar talent. Or is it that only Spag's is deficient and the players are equal or comparable. They weren't as good as 2010 implied, and their not as bad as it appears in 2011.
    Semper Fi!

It's true that we aren't splitting atoms over here (how's that for an explosive offense?) but I think it's silly not to play to the strengths of your players.
    Whatever the strenghs are of the Rams team changed almost play to play the first few weeks of the season. Jackson got hurt on the first play. The wide receivers started going down from the get go or weren't on the field at all. I do agree the play calling especially on those goal line series' in the last game has been horrible.

Basically what you're really getting at is why did the Rams change from the West Coast offense they ran last season, right? I don't know the answer to that. I suspect it has something to do with the Rams low TD output. They gained yardage but had trouble in the red zone. If they fell behind 10 or more points it took too long to come back because all the plays were short yardage gains. If it was 3rd and long they almost never threw the ball down the feild. They instead threw underneath and hoped the receiver would run for the yardage needed for a first down. I suspect they thought they has the personel going into the season they needed to make McDaniels offense work. They were trying to open it up.

You can actually run a west coast offense that doesn't have the traits our system did last year, that was a pretty basic and badly put together west coast offense.

Rambos is offline Registered User

It's been a really bad year, Spags and Billy are both taking a lot if heat. Stan however is getting a pass for now. But when the season is over, we are going to see what type of owner we have. Does he clean house and have a plan to restructure, move quickly and bring top tier football people in? Does he stand pat on Spags and Billy for another season? In three weeks we will get to vent on silent Stan for awhile... i for one can't wait to see what direction he takes us.

DE_Ramfan is offline Registered User

Spags could be better but we've had some really bad luck. It's hard to play that aggressive defense up front when even Stevie Wonder can see the holes in our secondary. I do wonder if McD was forced on him. I bet he'd rather have brought in Chilly, and I think that offense would work better with the players we have now. I dont see Spags getting one more year but if he did I wouldnt kick any puppies. Devany has to go now though and take his scouts with him.

Fastcat is offline Registered User

Thumbs down Re: Is Spags getting a fair shake from us?

Quote Originally Posted by DE_Ramfan View Post
    Spags could be better but we've had some really bad luck. It's hard to play that aggressive defense up front when even Stevie Wonder can see the holes in our secondary. I do wonder if McD was forced on him. I bet he'd rather have brought in Chilly, and I think that offense would work better with the players we have now. I dont see Spags getting one more year but if he did I wouldnt kick any puppies. Devany has to go now though and take his scouts with him.
    I said McD wasnt a spags guy from day 1. And either kronke or devanny made the final decision to hire him. Thats why after the interview he had with the fo he left and was on his way to seattle..... Another reason is why wouldnt spags just hire his friend (childress) instead of a guy u have no relationship with, after all he runs the wco.....? I did think the hire would work out though but i found it strange that McD didnt bring in anyone from his offensive coaching tree. Its like he's a leader (of the offense) all by himself forced to work with people that have no idea what it takes to run this system. And it looks like the offense hasnt bought into the system and McD has lost them...
    Last edited by Fastcat; -12-15-2011 at 10:43 PM.
    Richbert88 likes this.

THOLTFAN81 is offline Registered User

For those of the belief that Spags was "forced" into hiring McD you are wrong. Jeff Gordon over at STLToday said the hire was Spags idea in a chat on Monday.
    GROUND DOG 39 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast