r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Spags: Jason Smith, James Laurinaitis Will Start

From an AP article:

Coach Steve Spagnuolo also announced that offensive tackle Jason Smith, the second overall pick of the draft, would start on the right side. Linebacker James Laurinaitis, the second-round pick, also is starting.

schut39 is offline Registered User

Re: Spags: Jason Smith, James Laurinaitis Will Start

Glad to see that Smith has apparently stepped his game up and earned the starting spot.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by schut39 View Post
    Glad to see that Smith has apparently stepped his game up and earned the starting spot.
    Exactly, he's not starting because he's our first pick, he's starting because he earned it. Signs of a good head coach, Ladies and Gents.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I'm with Varg. I'm glad to see Smith and Laurinaitis are starting because they earned it through hard work in the offseason and improving each preseason game. For me, I expected both to start, so this is kind of a sign that shows me they are on track for what I hope is a great career ahead of them.

viper is offline Registered User

It appears that the future begins...NOW! I think that is great news that our first two draft choices are going to start. They'll both have their struggles and I think that we should all be prepared for that. But, they will get up to game speed eventually and will be that much further ahead with the experience they gain. Props to the two gentlemen for working the behinds off to get the honor of starting for the "New and Improved 2009 St. Louis Rams!!!." Courtesy of DeSpags and company.

I can't wait...GO RAMS!!! Pluck them chickens, er, uh..Seahawks!!!

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Here's more:

09.09.2009 3:21 pm
    J. Smith will join Laurinaitis as starter Sunday at Seattle
    By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Barring unexpected developments, the St. Louis Rams’ first two draft picks will be right where they were expected to be Sunday when the Rams open the regular season in Seattle: first-rounder Jason Smith at right tackle with the first-team offense, and second-rounder James Laurinaitis at middle linebacker with the starting defense.

Laurinaitis was promoted from the second unit a few weeks ago, but Smith encountered a few more bumps in the road during his journey to the starting lineup. But on Wednesday, coach Steve Spagnuolo confirmed that Smith had earned the spot.

“Unless something changes differently, he will start,” Spagnuolo said. And just what could change? “If I just decided to start the other guy,” Spagnuolo quipped.

Smith “is doing a nice job; he seems to be into it,” Spagnuolo added. “I listen for little things, like in the huddle, he’s calling the down and distance. Now, for a rookie to be aware of that every play, that’s impressive to me. He is vocal, I think he’s a confident guy. So we’ll kind of hang our hat on that right now.”

viper is offline Registered User

All of you non-starting players out there make note of that, "call out the down and distance in the huddle...and be vocal" and you just might be starting next week. Tuck that litle nugget away for the appropriate time. Just say'in...

Mooselini Guest

Good to see this. They both worked hard and earned these spots. Let's kill the Hawks.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Laurinaitis is an obvious to choice to start in my view. I think he has earned it. In Smith's case, i personally view this more of an acknowledgement that goldberg is not a starting caliber nfl tackle and as a result, we might as well get smith on the field and deal with the growing pains. I agree with the decision to start him, not so much because i think he is ready to be a starter, but because i think he is better than goldberg, who is an average at best backup who has value because he plays multiple positions.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Good to hear. I really want to see if our 2nd round LB can outplay their 1st round LB in the same game. Both Laurianitis and Curry showed some skills during the pre season and it would be interesting to see who's production is more meaningful during the game. I think Curry will have his hands full with Jax though. Let Jax run the 1st play to Curry's side and lets see how Curry handles a broken mask the rest of the game. RAAAMS BAAABY!!!

theodus69 Guest

Love that Lauriniatis is kicking butt, But isn't Smith a left tackle, and didn't they already ruin Barren this way? looks like we will have to draft a O-Lineman again nxet year............This is reminding me of the D-line picks a few years back. Well Smith hasn't failed yet but Barren isn't what i would call even a good O-lineman.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Varg6 View Post
    Exactly, he's not starting because he's our first pick, he's starting because he earned it. Signs of a good head coach, Ladies and Gents.
    Yes sireeee! The old fashion way, and only way, even for a rookie youngster: EARN that starting position. Well done young man.

Excellent point V6.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Love that Lauriniatis is kicking butt, But isn't Smith a left tackle, and didn't they already ruin Barren this way? looks like we will have to draft a O-Lineman again nxet year............This is reminding me of the D-line picks a few years back. Well Smith hasn't failed yet but Barren isn't what i would call even a good O-lineman.

Right now, the consensus is that Smith has the tools to succeed on the right side, as he's stronger, tougher, and more of a better run blocker than Barron. Barron on the other hand, is agile, lanky and tall, and has big wingspan to succeed on the left side.

However next year, we'll probably move Smith to the left side and draft or sign a right tackle, considering if we don't keep Barron.