AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Spags' LB Corps Makeover Carries Weight

When Steve Spagnuolo took over, the Rams' starting LBs were all players listed (NOTE: I took all weights from NFL.com, which might not be 100% acurate) as weighing in the 230s:

Pisa Tinoisamoa: 230 lbs.
    Will Witherspoon: 239 lbs.
    Chris Draft: 234 lbs.

Now, assuming that the Bobby Carpenter deal is completed and he secures a starting spot, the Rams will field a LB corps with the following weights:

Na'il Diggs: 240 lbs.
    James Laurinaitis: 247 lbs.
    Bobby Carpenter: 249 lbs.

The difference: 33 lbs. total (+11 per player).

Clearly, this is what Spagnuolo was looking for. The Rams' LBs, though talented, got pushed around against strong running teams. Now, the Rams have more size to take on blockers and play stronger. Add Fred Robbins to the mix, and the run defense should show some improvement.

What I like about all this is that Spags clearly has a plan, and is willing (along with Devaney) to put it into effect. He's not worried about fan favorites or publicity. He's trying to build a football team.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Re: Spags' LB Corps Makeover Carries Weight

Consequently they add a guy (Carpenter) who has reportedly had trouble with shedding blockers / I like the trade however, gets rid fo the penatly machine (but depth as well) and we gain a starting caliber Will backer known for good TE coverage, something we had trouble against. Take a plunge.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Consequently they add a guy (Carpenter) who has reportedly had trouble with shedding blockers / I like the trade however, gets rid fo the penatly machine (but depth as well) and we gain a starting caliber Will backer known for good TE coverage, something we had trouble against. Take a plunge.
    At least their's some people who see the big picture and are not freaking out.
    Player for player the Boy's on paper are getting the better deal. Barron just doesnt fit here in St.Louis, likewise Carpenter is no fit in Dallas.
    I truly believe B.C will play better when the pressure is off of him like in Dallas.
    His confidence and ability can now be harnessed back to fruition, using him to do what he is best at which maybe is just covering TE's on 3rd down for now.
    Barron would have got Bradford killed, cant run block, and doesnt care.
    Bobby C is the total opposite and is for nothing else, a true proffessional.
    I think people our going to be pleasantly surprised in Bobby C.
    Barron may become a better player also, but Rams fans must realise. It wont happen for Alex B in St.Louis. Period.

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

I like Spags idea of building a BIG front 7, teams liek the Cowboys have bought into the philosophy of having a BIG team, in general, and they are very physical. I think its a good play for the Rams considering our division, and teams like the *****, Seahawks, and now Cardinals who are going to be primary running teams.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

yeah I actually just mentioned this in another thread, didn't notice avenger's thread until I backed out.. If you think about it size wise were starting to look more like the Giant D under spag's... I like it and I think carpenter (as has been previously mentioned).. will look a lot better in a 4-3.. and now JL can be his AJ

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Consequently they add a guy (Carpenter) who has reportedly had trouble with shedding blockers.
    The key word there being "reportedly."

As a LB in a 3-4, Carpenter either had to line up on the outside and take on OTs, or line up in the middle, where he'd be dealing with inside linemen and fullbacks.

As a WLB in a 4-3, he's basically the guy who "runs free" and can make plays. That's why he's a better fit, whether or not he "has trouble" taking on blockers.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The key word there being "reportedly."

As a LB in a 3-4, Carpenter either had to line up on the outside and take on OTs, or line up in the middle, where he'd be dealing with inside linemen and fullbacks.

As a WLB in a 4-3, he's basically the guy who "runs free" and can make plays. That's why he's a better fit, whether or not he "has trouble" taking on blockers.
    I think a lot of his ability to be affective with us is naturally his work ethic, his recovery from the shoulder surgery he has had, and our lineman's ability to eat up blockers and keep them from reaching the second level. I really do think a change of scenery will help the guy a lot, as well as his immediate chance to be a starter with another hard worker in Vobora pushing him for that spot.

Lost an inconsistent drive killer, with decent, on and off ability, who also had 1 year left with us anyway. In exchange we receive a linebacker with good size and speed, played out of position in the wrong scheme. Getting something for Barron is a blessing IMO. Hopefully our coaches ability to get guys to perform will rub off on Carpenter.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Seems to me there is a LOT of bad information about Carpenter. I've seen people say he can't cover when even the Dallas people admit that was his best ability. Could you please provide us with a story where someone with knowledge says Carpenter can't shed blocks? In his draft profile, that's one of his strengths.

Parcell's drafted him and moved him inside. That's a COMPLETELY different beast than the outside on the 4-3. I always had serious doubts Carpenter had enough speed to be a premier WLB but I think he has enough to be an above average OLB. After all, JLau doesn't have premier speed and did a very good job.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Oh yes. I like this. We needed to get bigger and I think we did that. We are also adding solid vets on the team. This is what we needed. I am getting more excited by the day
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Anyone remember AJ Hawk? He was a very good ILB for the Packers in the 4-3. He has since struggled in the 3-4 since they switched.

Some guys just don't switch well between systems.