RamWraith is offline Registered User

Spags meets the press over scrambled eggs

By: Jim Thomas
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

DANA POINT, CALIF. _ Attending his first NFL owners’ meetings, Rams rookie head coach Steve Spagnuolo actually sat still for an hour during the NFC coaches breakfast Wednesday. Reporters from all over the country dropped by to ask questions on a variety of topics. Some excerpts:

* ON WHAT WILL DEFINE HIS RAMS TEAMS:

“Well, I don’t know that I’m going to label it. It still goes back to _ it’s cliché-ish _ but people working together and working hard. That’s the only way to succeed in this league, I believe. I don’t think it’s about fancy schemes or fancy words, creative this and creative that. It’s still comes back to your basic fundamental football. That’s what I believe.”

* ON CUTTING MAINSTAYS ORLANDO PACE AND TORRY HOLT:

“You sit there, and you look at the roster. You talk about what your philosophy and vision is. You hope you make the right decisions, especially with personnel. That’s probably one of the most important things we do, and hope that it meets the vision.

“You’ve got to look a little long-range. That’s kind of where it gets a little bit hard. Because certainly some of the people you talk about, those are big names that have been there a long time. Good character guys. It’s hard to do that sometimes. In the places I’ve been, the experiences I’ve had, when you’re able to make those tough decisions and look down the road, usually, hopefully, it works out in a positive way.”

*ON HIS ROSTER-BUILDING PHILOSOPHY:

“I’ve talked a lot obviously with Andy Reid because I’ve got a lot of respect for him. But I believe, like he believes, that no matter what team it is, no matter what side of the ball you come from, it all begins with linemen _ offensive and defensive linemen. And then we build from there

“You build from the linemen out, offensively and defensively. . . .It all begins up front and if you can have those horses up there, I think you have a better chance.”

*ON HIS COMFORT LEVEL WITH THE OFFENSIVE LINE:

“Certainly, the tackle spot we’ve got to address. . ..We feel real comfortable with Jason Brown obviously, bringing him in at center. That was a key cog. We’ll do some shuffling with the tackles, but we feel like there’s at least a nucleus there. We probably need a little bit of depth.”

*ON DEFENSIVE ENDS CHRIS LONG: & LEONARD LITTLE

“Chris Long, I tell you what, a tremendous guy. A tremendous person. I felt that way when he was coming out a year ago. Just the research we did on him. I’m looking forward to working with him. He’s a high-energy guy, and you get a lot of high-energy guys in there, that’s what the game of football’s all about.

“Leonard Little has all kinds of experience. He’s a true pro. We had that in New York where we had some experienced guys that helped the younger guys.”

*ON HOW HE WILL USE ADAM CARRIKER

“He gives you a little bit of versatility, but I don’t know. We’ll see. The big guys, without getting in there (in full pads at practice), it’s a difficult thing to assess. I’m not trying to dodge the question; It’s a difficult thing to assess purely off of tape. Sometimes you don’t know if the guy’s hurt.”

*ON MOVING WILL WITHERSPOON TO OUTSIDE LB:

“We’re going to begin there. The nice thing about Will is he’s versatile enough and he’s played enough in the league that he can go inside and outside. . . .I know he’s played that (weakside) position before in Carolina, so there’s probably a comfort level there.

“And in what we have done in New York, those two (outside) linebackers are becoming very mirrored now to be quite honest with you in a lot of ways. Now, there’s some differences.”

*ON THE POSSIBILITY THAT WITHERSPOON & TINOISAMOA COULD BOTH PLAY OUTSIDE LB:

“You probably could. You could go left and right. In some of the things we’re doing as we install it, we’re going right and left, just so they learn both. But that’s just a teaching tool.”

*ON WHEN AN ASSISTANT KNOWS HE’S READY TO BE A HEAD COACH:

“We all think we’re ready before we are. I’m not so sure that anybody’s 100 percent ready until you get in the middle of it and do it. It’s like the first time you’re trying to ride that bike. Until you jump on there and do it, your mom or dad lets you go, how do you really know if you’re ready to do it? You take the training wheels off and go. But there’s got to be some confidence involved. I’m hoping it was time. We’ll find out a couple years from now.

*ON IF THE RECENT SUCCESS OF YOUNG HEAD COACHES PUTS MORE PRESSURE ON HIM:

“I think it probably does. I’m going to stay away from thinking about that because we’re just going to get involved in the process of building something. If you let too much of that affect you, you’ll get yourself in trouble.”

*ON WHERE THE RAMS WILL HOLD TRAINING CAMP:

“We haven’t completely pinpointed that yet. We’ve got a little more work to do there yet.”

*ON HOW HE FEELS ABOUT JOINT PRACTICES WITH OTHER TEAMS DURING CAMP:

“Well, I don’t say that I’m in favor or not in favor. I have not had experience that way. Both in Philadelphia and New York we did not do that in the years that I was there.

And I guess like anything else, when you haven’t done it and you’re used to a certain way you probably stick to that. So I don’t know if that’s something we would do.”

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Spags meets the press over scrambled eggs

Hmmmm.....versatility with Carriker....is that an innuendo for maybe moving him to DE in spots?

Don't know. He had to gain weight to play inside, so maybe losing weight to go outside might help. Ok, those of you who are gonna lambast me and say "he's a 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT." Bull. He's got the speed to come off the edge. So what if he's tall? If we can move all these other prospects around to potentially play another position, why not Carriker?

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Is their a video of this online? Even though his thoughts are here in text, I still would like to view it anyway..

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

That's a pretty tepid response on Carriker. It's true he has played injured some, but usually it's a bad sign when someone suggests that as a possible reason to explain the level of play.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Hmmmm.....versatility with Carriker....is that an innuendo for maybe moving him to DE in spots?

Don't know. He had to gain weight to play inside, so maybe losing weight to go outside might help. Ok, those of you who are gonna lambast me and say "he's a 3-4 DE and 4-3 DT." Bull. He's got the speed to come off the edge. So what if he's tall? If we can move all these other prospects around to potentially play another position, why not Carriker?
    Tex I don't know if a little bit of versatility, but I don't know translates to Carriker to DE.

Anyways this was a very enlightening article. The Andy Reid drafting style isn't always fan friendly, but it has been affective. He drafts alot of lineman, d-backs, and he doesn't really bust on players. It would be nice to see that here

txramsfan is offline Registered User

You know, if Carriker and Tye Hill bust out this year unders Spags, I'd be the happiest fan on this website. I really would. I really hope Hill comes out and has a year like Bartell did last year.

Carriker has always been an enigma to me. To some on this board, he's played as good as others in the NFL when compared to them. However, has he really been worth the high draft pick he was selected? Don't know.

Rambunctious is offline Registered User

I don't want to give the Curry Crazies anything more to talk about but...

"We probably need a little depth" in referencing tackles doesn't really scream pick number 2.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Nor do I want to kill the Curryheads' spicy buzz but the opening comment was “Certainly, the tackle spot we’ve got to address".
    I think the depth comment at the end of the paragraph/statement on the topic was a separate aspect of his o-line plan.

Perhaps more significant -and pleasing, I admit- was the general "“You build from the linemen out, offensively and defensively".

RealRam is offline Registered User

*ON WHEN AN ASSISTANT KNOWS HE’S READY TO BE A HEAD COACH:

“We all think we’re ready before we are. I’m not so sure that anybody’s 100 percent ready until you get in the middle of it and do it. It’s like the first time you’re trying to ride that bike. Until you jump on there and do it, your mom or dad lets you go, how do you really know if you’re ready to do it? You take the training wheels off and go. But there’s got to be some confidence involved. I’m hoping it was time. We’ll find out a couple years from now."
    Maybe it is just my optimism / wishful thinking but, Coach, I think you are ready sir!

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post

“I’ve talked a lot obviously with Andy Reid because I’ve got a lot of respect for him. But I believe, like he believes, that no matter what team it is, no matter what side of the ball you come from, it all begins with linemen _ offensive and defensive linemen. And then we build from there

“You build from the linemen out, offensively and defensively. . . .It all begins up front and if you can have those horses up there, I think you have a better chance.”

I had almost decided we wouldn't go tackle with the first pick ....... but is this a hint?

San Diego Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    You know, if Carriker and Tye Hill bust out this year unders Spags, I'd be the happiest fan on this website. I really would. I really hope Hill comes out and has a year like Bartell did last year.

Carriker has always been an enigma to me. To some on this board, he's played as good as others in the NFL when compared to them. However, has he really been worth the high draft pick he was selected? Don't know.
    I dont know about Carriker, but Spags is a defensive coach and he can hopefully turn carriker into what we drafted him for.

Oh i would be so Happy if Tye hill has a big year! I always have had high hopes for him, and i even have his jersey! haha hopefully i wont have to store it away with my Archuleta jersey
    Last edited by San Diego Ram; -03-27-2009 at 02:04 AM. Reason: grammer