Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Dirtyspags is offline Registered User

Spags a real class act

Fires the longest tenured and beloved equipment manager.
    Last edited by AvengerRam; -01-13-2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: No links!

Slopcounts is offline Registered User

Re: Spags a real class act

You know, this irks me to no end. I don't know Spags at all, and I hope he does everything that we want him to do for this team. This just seems to go completely against what he is trying to for the team. If next year goes down in flames, Some might point to this as breaking chemistry within the locker room.

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Let's see...
    Dirtyspags - one post. Pretty self-explanatory.

Slopcounts (you a bowler or a darter?) - entitled to your opinion.

I've read a million posts on this subject on another board (shame on me), and the bottom line is , wait for it...

Consider the source. I do not want to get political, but every city has a rag like RFT, and they are universally left-leaning, and the contract non-renewal, (aka the firing), makes for a good "poor loyal little guy fired by the bad corporate types, and blah, blah, blah" story.

I'll admit to being curious myself, but bottom line is, as the boss, if Spags doesn't like the way Hewitt parts his hair, he can replace him.

Live with it.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

One angle that few have expressed...

What if Hewitt screwed up, or broke a team rule, or violated a policy (i.e. confidentiality, leaking information)?

How would Spags handle it?

Would he publicly humiliate the guy and reveal his wrongdoing, or would he terminate his employment and issue a simple neutral press release?

In other words, if you think you know why Spags fired the guy, you're wrong. Maybe he wanted to bring in his own guy, or maybe there were grounds. You and I will never know.

Much ado about nothing, if you ask me.

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Well first off, no links, at least you could respect our rules.

Second, people have made way too big of a deal of this, and it has been fueled by media members like Jim Thomas and Bernie, and might I add, it has been rumored that Hewitt was a leak to the media... hmmm.... plot thickens.

Listen I'm sorry the guy lost his job, sounds like his family has loved the Rams for a long time. But it is a business.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

There is obviously so much more to the story, but the bottom line, Spags didn't feel Hewitt was the best man for the job and decided to make a change. As C-Mob noted, this is nothing more than business as usual. The only length of tenure that matters here is Spags'. Apparently Devaney was on board with the decision.

Interesting that despite Hewitt's close relationship with several players and love for the team, he hopes the Rams don't win a game next year.
    Last edited by r8rh8rmike; -01-13-2011 at 02:27 PM.

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Second, people have made way too big of a deal of this, and it has been fueled by media members like Jim Thomas and Bernie, and might I add, it has been rumored that Hewitt was a leak to the media... hmmm.... plot thickens.
    Hold the phone. You mean the media is upset that their possible leak has been fired for possibly being a leak?

I'm with you guys, much to do about nothing. Nothing was disclosed from the Rams and Hewlett hasn't said anything from what I've seen so I can't get overly excited.

edit: now I see that Hewitt has been bashing Spags to the "media". That's class.
    Last edited by RebelYell; -01-13-2011 at 03:37 PM.

Dirtyspags is offline Registered User

LOL at people rationalizing this dirtbag move. Nevermind the obvious OCD micromanaging techniques, or the fact the guy was obviously loved by many of the Rams former coaches and all time greats. No no no, there must have been something more here. Congrats to spags for being able to recognize and put an end to the evil ways of the Rams equipment manager since the 70's. Former Super Bowl winning coaches and future hall of fame players didn't have the competency to catch this glaring problem, but good ol spags did. I suppose Hewitt is to blame for Spags coaching like a scared little girl in the Seahawk season finale as well. Wake up.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

The problem with the St. Louis media that I've always had is that they get stuck on certain guys, mainly because they have been around for a long time. Being around for a long time, being loyal, that doesn't mean you are good at your job. Maybe he was indeed a leak, maybe he didn't get along with Spags, in which case do you want to fire the head coach because your long-tenured equipment manager didn't like him? I will forever not respect your opinion if you say yes to that question and are serious about it.

One other thing, maybe the players didn't like him.

This isn't about Spags bringing in "his guys" it is a freakin equipment manager. I'm from St. Louis, but they seriously need to get over this whole "oh wow, he's been in the organization for X years" junk. Who cares? It's a business, and you don't have a right to your job just because you've been there for a while.

Lastly, one more time, EQUIPMENT MANAGER. Very much not an integral part of the coaching staff

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyspags View Post
    LOL at people rationalizing this dirtbag move. Nevermind the obvious OCD micromanaging techniques, or the fact the guy was obviously loved by many of the Rams former coaches and all time greats. No no no, there must have been something more here. Congrats to spags for being able to recognize and put an end to the evil ways of the Rams equipment manager since the 70's. Former Super Bowl winning coaches and future hall of fame players didn't have the competency to catch this glaring problem, but good ol spags did. I suppose Hewitt is to blame for Spags coaching like a scared little girl in the Seahawk season finale as well. Wake up.
    If you want to stop being a rams fan because they fired one of the most replaceable people in the organization, then please, try to let the door hit you on the way out.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

All I have to say is the owners been with the team for years and if he was on board there had to be a reason. I don't think stan would let them fire him for no reason.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    Lastly, one more time, EQUIPMENT MANAGER. Very much not an integral part of the coaching staff
    Exactly, all this ire over an equipment manager being replaced?

I'm beginning to think Dirtyspags is an unemployed equipment manager.

thermobee is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    If you want to stop being a rams fan because they fired one of the most replaceable people in the organization, then please, try to let the door hit you on the way out.
    Seriously! I wonder why this account was created, about 38 secs before this post?! 2 Posts in this thread total and thats it. What are you Hewitt's grandson or something?

MelloStang is offline Registered User

maybe they are just cleaning out the dead weight for the move back to L.A. lol

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Dirtyspags View Post
    Dude... two things are clear:

(1) You're fishing for people who will agee with your premise; and
    (2) There's nothing for you to catch in these waters.

Maybe you should move on.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast