Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Spags says Feely is the #1 quarterback .... for now ..

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    05/21/2010

Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo was careful to leave no room for doubt. "If we played a game today," he declared Thursday, "A.J. (Feeley) would be our quarterback."

That was hardly a revelation. Feeley is well-versed in the offensive scheme that coordinator Pat Shurmur imported from Philadelphia, Feeley's home for six of his 10 NFL seasons.

Conversely, rookie Sam Bradford's pro experience consists of five practices at rookie minicamp and two during organized team activities this week at Rams Park.

But make no mistake: The Rams didn't spend the No. 1 overall pick in last month's draft and eventually millions of dollars on Bradford so that he could back up a 33-year-old journeyman who hasn't taken a regular-season snap since 2007.

"It's inevitable that this is going to be Sam's team," Feeley conceded. "When that time comes ... who knows right now?"

It could be awhile. Spagnuolo doesn't simply dole out starting jobs to rookies. For example, the Rams' top two draftees last year, tackle Jason Smith and linebacker James Laurinaitis, didn't receive first-team promotions until relatively late in the preseason.

Bradford, who has worked with the second and third units at OTAs, figures to get similar treatment. So for the time being, this is Feeley's team. And he wants to make as much of that as he can.

"I have a goal, I have ambitions, I want to win games ... and I want to play," Feeley said. "When you're a guy in this league, that's all you look for: an opportunity to compete."

Spagnuolo said Feeley has "a pretty good command of what we're doing. I can see that just when I stand there and we're doing the walk-throughs, the jog-throughs. I had seen him before in the huddle and operate in game situations. So, myself and Pat were real comfortable with that."

Spanguolo was the Eagles' defensive backs coach when Feeley was there from 2001-03. After two seasons in Miami and one in San Diego, Feeley returned to Philadelphia for another three-year stint, 2006-08. He was with Carolina last season.

A free-agent signee who received a two-year deal worth a reported $6 million, Feeley has spent virtually his entire career as a backup. He's appeared in 23 games, with 15 starts. He's thrown for 4,070 yards and 27 touchdowns, with 29 interceptions. His passer rating is 69.6.

The Rams were enticing, he said, because of his familiarity with the offense, plus the chance to run the first team ... for a while, anyway.

"It's an opportunity to try to get this thing going, and for me personally, it's been awhile since I've been in that position. So I'll try to make the most of it," he said. Still, he acknowledged that his duties include tutoring Bradford.

"You look at it from two sides," Feeley explained. "For me, it's a chance to hopefully get out there and play until I'm told not to. The flip side, it's to help the young guy develop."

No conflict of interest exists, Feeley stressed.

"Playing quarterback, you're all there to help each other," he said. "I'm going to try to work with him every day. Anything that I picked up by being in this offense for (so long), I'm going to give it to him. I'm going to try to help him out as much as I possibly can."

The lessons already have begun, Bradford noted.

"He's been very helpful," Bradford said. "I'm just excited to watch him and Keith (Null, a second-year pro) practice, because I know they're both familiar with this offense and they have way more experience than I do.

"To watch those guys and get a better feel for how this offense works and what it's supposed to look like, I think that's going to help me tremendously."

Bradford is a willing and gifted student, Feeley emphasized.

"He's a bright guy, he's big, he's strong, and he can throw the football. He's accurate with it," Feeley said. "And you can tell he wants to learn and he enjoys playing the game. Nowadays, I think that's most important. Some of these guys that come into the league don't love the game and they don't embrace it.

"I can tell with (Bradford) that he does ... he definitely does."

The Rams hope to have Bradford up to speed by the time they open the regular season Sept. 12 vs. Arizona. Which, consequently, would relegate Feeley to the sideline again.

"You understand that side of it," Feeley said. "I have no qualms whatsoever."

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

Re: Spags says Feely is the #1 quarterback .... for now ..

I wish that, if we had thought originally that Feely would actually play, that we would have got another transition quarterback.

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TylerBishop View Post
    I wish that, if we had thought originally that Feely would actually play, that we would have got another transition quarterback.
    whom would you have chosen?

it`s worth bearing in mind also that this time last year Chris Draft was our "starting" MLB...it`s 4 months `till the season starts..nothing is set in stone.

Try thinking of it this way: Spags is letting it be known that the #1 Qb job must be earned, just as Laurinaitis had to earn his starting job. Feely was not signed to be our starting Qb, rather to mentor Sam. If A.J. does play a bit in regular season games, I doubt he'll do any worse than Kyle Boller. Quite possibly a lot better as he's very well versed in Shurmur's offense. It won't matter who's at Qb if we don't have better luck with injuries this year than we did last year. Our O-line depth is a question mark right now. On paper it's ok, but can we count on Smith and Saffold or Trautwein? Backup running back? Go to receivers? I'll stop there .. After the 3rd preseason game we'll likely have a better idea as to who'll get the nod to be our starting Qb.

Trevor is offline Registered User

Rather have Bulger..

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Rather have Bulger..
    Why would you want Bulger? Do you really think Marc would have embraced the role of mentor with Sam? Do you honestly believe that even if Marc would have embraced that role, he has a better grip on Shurmur's offense? Feely's acquisition was all about getting Bradford up to speed as quickly as possible. If Feely is required to play in regular season games this year for whatever reason, I doubt he'll do any worse than last years group of Qbs .. Yes - A.J. hasn't played much NFL ball recently, but he'll get his opportunities during the preseason to get up to speed. It was time for Marc to move on .. period.

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

is Jamarcus Russel still available?
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Quote Originally Posted by LA Rammer View Post
    is Jamarcus Russel still available?
    Yes he is .. However, Spags apparently feels we are set at DT with Ryan, Robbins, and Scott ..

TylerBishop is offline Registered User

I was speaking more in terms of the, "easing Bradford in halfway through the season strategy". In which case I stand by my remarks because there are other QB's out there that would have given us a better chance of winning games.

I think this is a year we should concentrate on getting better and winning, I hate the idea of developing a get better now, win later mentality.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

I was speaking more in terms of the, "easing Bradford in halfway through the season strategy". In which case I stand by my remarks because there are other QB's out there that would have given us a better chance of winning games.

I think this is a year we should concentrate on getting better and winning, I hate the idea of developing a get better now, win later mentality.
    Obviously the plan is to develop AND somehow win games at the same time. They can go hand in hand, although lets face it, how many games do rookie ran teams win?

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Why would you want Bulger? Do you really think Marc would have embraced the role of mentor with Sam? Do you honestly believe that even if Marc would have embraced that role, he has a better grip on Shurmur's offense? Feely's acquisition was all about getting Bradford up to speed as quickly as possible. If Feely is required to play in regular season games this year for whatever reason, I doubt he'll do any worse than last years group of Qbs .. Yes - A.J. hasn't played much NFL ball recently, but he'll get his opportunities during the preseason to get up to speed. It was time for Marc to move on .. period.
    Unfortunately for the rest of us, his top speed is "turtle."

HEY-YO!!!

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Bralidore(RAMMODE) View Post
    Obviously the plan is to develop AND somehow win games at the same time. They can go hand in hand, although lets face it, how many games do rookie ran teams win?
    More games than teams run by glorified, washed-up 3rd Stringers.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

This isn't anything to be surprised about. You have to earn your spot on the team. Sam's drive and commitment should win him a spot. He needs to practice hard and become a good player fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RealRam is online now Registered User

Re: Spags says Feeley is the #1 quarterback .... for now ..

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    This isn't anything to be surprised about. You have to earn your spot on the team. Sam's drive and commitment should win him a spot. He needs to practice hard and become a good player fast.
    Exactly.

I think most of us fans are with the Coach on this Feeley-before-Bradford / "for now" plan. No problem! It was anticipated this way.

And it's good to hear that Feeley is just fine with this as well, seeing how he recognizes SBs attributes as a QB and as a rookie; and that Sam Ram will, is being groomed for the obvious sooner-that-later starter. Let's do this!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Well that's good to know that Pat Shurmur's using the same method to develop Bradford into a mighty fine gem like he did with McNabb and with Bradford's current attributes as a rookie, we can see to it that he can be better than McNabb in the future minus his superb scrambling.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast