txramsfan is offline Registered User

Special Teams and Free Agency

Should the Rams go after some players for special team purposes only? I really can't go through watching teams start at positions on the field that makes it difficult for the defense to pin them in their own territory.

Garrett got hurt last year in preseason playing special teams, but I would like to see him out there again. He has speed and can tackle.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Special Teams and Free Agency

Yes....Specifically a punter who is not 80 years old.

Landetta needs to go!!

Other than that, I think better coaching and the talent we have will be more than adequate.

general counsel Guest

Re: Special Teams and Free Agency

My views on landetta are well known. I am currently searching for the whereabouts of Dave Chapple in the hopes that we can bring him in to compete with landetta. If anyone knows where he is, let me know and we will call martz and ziggy.

I think we spent time and effort in the draft and in the free agent market addressing special teams. Tony Newson was signed from KC for his special teams play and Joe Vitt really likes him for that purpose. Chillar and Shivers also will help in that area, and i predict that Hargrove will be a wholly terror on special teams.

I think that the battle for the backup linebacker spots (which may be the most hotly contested roster spots in camp) will come down to who can contribute most on special teams. Lloyd, Spoon, Trev Faulk, Justin Smith, McWilliams.

A healthy Garrett will also be a nice boost.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

txramsfan is offline Registered User

With Hargrove's speed and tackling ability, I like the thought of him on special teams. And you are right gc, the LB who can both spell someone for a breather and also play special teams will guarantee them a roster spot.

I'd also like to see Groce take control of the punt return duties and own them for himself. He did a great job at Nebraska.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The Rams have tried bringing in players for special teams in the past and they still sucked in coverage, etc. Martz keeps getting blasted for not focusing on special teams enough, but he gave them extra time in training camp last year. At this point, I see the results being dependent on the coaching. Good thing Bobby April is gone.

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Just go recruit a rugby player ... they all know how to kick better than Landetta.

general counsel Guest

Adarian, do you have anyone specific in mind that you have scouted in The Hollow for potential punting duties. With the exception of Dez and Ferter, I am not sure that anyone else is conversant on your level regarding the various plusses and minuses of players on the rugby circuit. Remember, we need hang time in addition to distance. Suggestions from Australian Rules Football might also be welcome.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    I'd also like to see Groce take control of the punt return duties and own them for himself. He did a great job at Nebraska.
    Agreed 100%.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Well GC:

I am only a professional fan. I criticise and complain. I have no solutions. I want what I want because I want it.

That said, who knows ... if you want distance, hang time, and placement ... maybe Wayne Julies?

OK I forgot to address the point about Aussie Rules football. Frankly, since another Landetta deficiency is his inability to generate a bone-crunching hit that will loosen the ball if all else fails ... any Aussie Football League player could outdo him in that area also ... but you want another name from The Hollow? Fremantle's Troy Cook will put a hurting on anyone while having kicking ability.