general counsel Guest

Special Teams help has arrived!

Stone is now a ram. Another former marmie guy, he had 17 tackles i believe on special teams this year, which i believe is the same number that jeff wilikins had for the squad.

general counsel

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: Special Teams help has arrived!

I heard there is still an outside chance of getting Hawthorne too. I have never heard of him is he a special teams player too??

GO RAMS RE-TOOL FOR 05 :ramlogo:

viper is offline Registered User

By Nick Wagoner
    Staff Writer

THE MOVE: Former Arizona defensive back Michael Stone signs a one-year contract.

WHY IT HAPPENED: As mentioned above, the Rams special teams were nothing short of awful in 2004. They ranked near the bottom of almost every category and never came up with anything resembling a big play. With that said, St. Louis changed special teams coaches and made it a priority to find guys who can contribute every Sunday on the special forces. Generally, teams look to backup defensive backs and linebackers that can make a difference on special teams and contribute on defense in a pinch. St. Louis signing Stone was the first step in revamping that area of weakness.

HOW IT HELPS: Stone made his reputation in Arizona as a special teams demon. He has good size (6-0, 201) and speed. He might or might not make an impact on defense, but expect him to be one of the first players down the field on coverage units. Although he had just three tackles on defense last year, Stone made 17 special teams stops, good for second on the Cardinals. As an added bonus, Stone is capable of playing any of the spots in the secondary and could prove valuable as a free safety if needed. If nothing else, Stone gives the Rams a strong special teams player and added depth in the defensive backfield.
    I liked this signing. It sounds like Stone will have an immediate impact on improving our coverage on special teams. I also like the additional depth in the defensive backfield. Does anyone think he can be a good free safety?

Has anyone heard any other potential acquisitions to shore up special teams?

Go Rams!!! :ramlogo:

general counsel Guest

Coakley is a special teams stud as well. I predict more help in this area post june 1, if not also during the draft.

general counsel

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Jay Williams is another Special Teams stud that will help us. By adding a guy who could be first to get to the ball carrier and a sure-tackler. And a wedge buster like JW (which I'm counting on happening), it looks like Martz is finally making a commitment for Special Teams.

I like this. We're turning into a well rounded football team and will add more skilled defenders after the Jue 1st cuts with the 6.1M we'll have to spend. :ramlogo:

maineram is offline Registered User

Hawthorne for ST help but not for the secondary. NFL Game of the week was Packers / Vikings playoff game and Hawthorne sucked out loud. Couldn't make a tackle to save his life. They picked on him with their young wideout Coleman and he took Hawthorne to school.

Please no Hawthorne - waisted cap numbers & locker space !!!

Maineram - :ramlogo:
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !