Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sport writers

UnderdogRam is offline Registered User

Sport writers

As a one time paying sponsor of that “other site” and a long time St. Louis sports fan, there are few things just burning me up about this city and football. Why is it that the Post-Dispatch can not hire some real journalist that actually cares about the Rams?

We have Bernie. Who my mind is the biggest hybrid pencil pushing opinionated redneck that could just as well write a Dear Bernie column. Then we have this Jim Thomas guy that has to the biggest baseball cheerleader this side of the San Diego chicken. Then there is the great Howard Balzer who is more concerned about how to turn a penny into a quarter then he is actually Rams. If the Bungels moved to St. Louis he would break out the orange and black faster than you can say turncoat. He goes where ever the money takes him. How about Randy Krakekrerkarekr. His last name sounds like a bird call. The guy can write though. Problem is he writes when he feels like it and when he can fit it in his busy schedule.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: Sport writers

Won't get much agreement here about Howard.

Bernie is another story...

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Coulnd't agree more UD. We have some serious issues with the media. Its a basball town and everyone is worrie about themsleves. Problem is the Post has no competition in the area, maybe another paper would help the sports end of it as well. Either way what is there now sucks! You can't tell me there is NO news but Warner going on at Rams Park right now.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

There used to be two....but the Globe Democrat went belly up years ago.

Bernie rocks......

adarian_too is offline Registered User

I think Underdog you have highlighted a problem more universal than most care to admit. It seems unless the writer is independant on his own right he must be careful not to offend the "wrong" person.. He needs to earn a living and has his own belief system. The internet is the true revolution in the making. One's opinions no longer are filtered through dominant political systems. The only thing I think it would be fair to depend on a sports writer for is for a new fact that others haven't got access to. From that we can then all go off on tangents and assert what we think it truely means. But to place unquestioned faith in every word and nuance they write is an exercise in self-deception.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Post Re: Sport writers

Here's the real deal people. The outsiders are the key people inspiring this clan of rams fans to be heard. Ever since the Clanram site was created, we have been that voice. Now that they (theinsiders) got the fan involved they go ahead and demand that we put out our hard earn dollars for some well known writer with no loyalty and a up and coming writer in Waller. Top it off with some contributors.
    The gridiron gateway is nothing with home ground passionate sports writers that the st.louis fans can relate in the football scene. It needs real fan writers with a heart for the truth and to spark this team when it is down or up. I for one think that Dez is the ultimate Rams fan. We all can now make our own sportswriters from this portal. People willing to voice there concerns and all their joy for the football franchise we love. Because we are DIEHARDS!

No Balzer and Waller will ever give us the passionate feel for our team. We live and breathe Rams football year round. That is the field goal my fellow DIEHARDS.

I think that is a crock. My job takes me too many NFL cities around the country, and I have ton of opportunities to read and hear the local sport reporters. I will say 90% of them are passionate about their team. They are fans as well as reporters. They have a flare for their reports that comes across to its readers. We have nothing but money hungry, unsupportive, pay check collecting, negative seeking hounds. I say go to Kansas City so we can hire some real sport columnist.

Quote Originally Posted by adarian_too
    I think Underdog you have highlighted a problem more universal than most care to admit. It seems unless the writer is independant on his own right he must be careful not to offend the "wrong" person.. He needs to earn a living and has his own belief system. The internet is the true revolution in the making. One's opinions no longer are filtered through dominant political systems. The only thing I think it would be fair to depend on a sports writer for is for a new fact that others haven't got access to. From that we can then all go off on tangents and assert what we think it truely means. But to place unquestioned faith in every word and nuance they write is an exercise in self-deception.

live4ramin is online now Registered User

Bernie's the man. I really enjoy his regular contributions on the radio when the RAMS are in season. Errrrr.....well, you know what I mean.

formerly deathbyramin. I got a new attitude.
    Last edited by live4ramin; -06-10-2004 at 09:29 PM.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Angry Re: Sport writers

I don't know any sports writers personally, but from reading many of their articles, I am not so sure they are fans of the teams they report on. Fans of the game? Maybe, but not passionate fans of the team. So often when I read their words, they make reference to the fans and many times this reference is in the form of ridicule. To me, this indicates that they are not fans or they consider themselves above the fans. Their jobs are based on objectivity and credibility, something a passionate fan, of a team, often lacks. Maybe this is why fans and reporters don't relate well to one another? I consider most reporters to be standoffish and arrogant towards their paying customers, the fans.

rampower is offline Registered User

I think part of the problem is that by nature, they need to make money and sell papers. The fans opinion may not sell as much copy or be read by as many non fans(rams and otherwise) as a controversial writen piece, something that inspires debate or emotion. (bernie inspires reactions every time!) I know it might be nice to have a fan writing about your team, but maybe getting an alternitive opinion from a non fan on events can be a good thing. Being the freak that I am I find bernie entertaining, he always inspires thought and debate among fans (good or BAD) and it gives me a handle on how some people can get a different spin on things. I take it with a pinch of salt too, its only somebodys opinion thats being printed after all.

I suppose its all down to personal preference, hearing it from a non fan, for me, may make it more genuine as they are not colored by their love of the team. By the same token though, hearing it from somebody who has no knoledge or a unhealthy hate for who they are reporting for can be even more biased than a fans eye view,

coy bacon is offline Registered User

I think you guys have too high expectations from professional sports writers in general, including these here in St. Louis. Cut em some slack.

It's always struck me as odd to watch a guy, say he's a true expert / fan of boxing, and has a show on boxing... to watch him then call or write about a bb game, or football game.... hummn. I don't expect a guy to be passionate about every sport. Yet he's required by his job to put out a weekly column on the sport of the week.

And by now, you guys should have figured out that some professional writers are deliberately outrageous, just to push the reader's buttons..... it gets them attention and notoriety. They may not even believe in what they are saying / writing, but they do it, to acheive a claim to fame. If they go to far, then they "apologize" insincerely.
    Don't let em play you.

Sports writers are not paid well. Neither are they experts in truth, logic, or research. They want to voice their thoughts and opinions, inform, and entertain. Sometimes it is difficult to all well. Cut em some slack and don't take em so serious.

I think that this thread voices the idea that it is the passionate fans that produce the most informed, and well thought-out articles. I agree. Although their writing style may lack, their committment to the facts, and their passion come through. And I think that is what we have here on this forum. And, they're friendly too. [Except for Utterblitz who refuses a kind word to anyone]. :-)

I guess you could say your right Mr. Bacon. I come here to read these pages because I feel the passion here. There is an aura of dedication that keeps me coming back. Fact remains though; there is more of a love in other cities for their home town team then here in St. Louis.

In fact I am sitting here in my hotel in Denver and listening to local sports program on the radio, and the announcers here have so much passion for Bronco's. If you didn't know better you would think Denver was heading to the Super Bowl next week. For every point made by anyone these guys have a counter point to why they think they will be successful. All I am saying is I would really like some local reporters to be fans. Whether it comes from the radio, paper or TV, give football its just due in St. Louis

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

I'm planning on going into Journalism when I go to college, so maybe, just maybe, I'll be a writer for the Rams some day.

coy bacon is offline Registered User

Disco, don't go into journalism. Pleeeese don't go into journalism. It ain't a happy life. Getting a good paying job is tough. Go into engineering and pursue journalism on the side.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

Post Re: Sport writers

Well guys i agree with bacon. The facts are hard to swallow but I too enjoy the forums format and the passion that every diehard rams fan come with when voicing there joy or despair with our team and the hometown sports writers. I will leave you with these facts.
    As a LA native before the team moved to the Midwest. I will have to say the Raiders got more press to being silver and black and not that good. The LA media did not cover the NFL (Rams) with any passion or fanfare. So as I went to St. Louis i noticed that the town was a true sportstown and that my Rams were truly loved. Sure the writers can improve but when it comes down to being in LA or St. Louis. Hey i will always take the Midwest for their hardworking and passionate love for my Rams.
    THE FIELD GOAL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast