RamWraith is offline Registered User

Sporting News Rams report

With Bryce Fisher scheduled for unrestricted free agency and Leonard
    Little facing possible legal or league sanctions due to a drunken-driving arrest, Anthony Hargrove is a key figure for the Rams at defensive end. No one needs a better offseason than Hargrove, who needs to get stronger and work on his technique. Otherwise, Hargrove has all the tools to be an above-average DE, perhaps even a Pro Bowl-caliber player. But he is very raw after coming out early for the draft last year after being declared academically ineligible at Georgia Tech. Hargrove progressed enough that he was starting by the end of his rookie season in St. Louis. Even so, the Rams need to fast-forward his development for '05. . . .

Undrafted rookie Dwight Anderson showed a lot of spunk in 2004, and he has the speed and athleticism to play in the NFL. But he needs to refine his game dramatically and improve on cutting down on his mental mistakes if he wants to gain a foothold on the Rams' depth chart at cornerback. At the very least, Anderson could be a very effective special teams player, particularly on punt and kickoff coverage units. But he had problems maintaining his lane discipline and spent most of the second half of the season as a pregame inactive. . . .

QB Jeff Smoker wants to be the Rams' No. 2 quarterback in '05. To do so, he needs to show coach Mike Martz that he has a decent grasp of the offense and show the kind of maturity it takes to learn the intricacies of the "Air Martz" attack. Smoker also needs to make the most of his opportunities in minicamp, training camp and the preseason. With Chris Chandler almost certainly not coming back, the opening is there for Smoker to emerge as the top backup to Marc Bulger.

Something to Prove:
    With Tommy Polley not expected to be back, Brandon Chillar has an opportunity to become a starting outside linebacker. Chillar began the 2004 season, his rookie campaign, starting ahead of Polley. But he lost his starting spot early in the season to Polley and played sparingly the rest of the year except on special teams. Chillar has decent size and displayed good range. Enough range, in fact, to be good in traffic. He appears adept at weaving his way through traffic, and he has good instincts for getting to the football. But Chillar needs to be better at the point of attack while taking on lead blockers, and he could benefit greatly from a good offseason in the weight room.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Sporting News Rams report

I think if we got a force in the middle, ala Hartwell, then Chillar would be adequate on the outside with Pisa. He could compete with Thomas there as well as someone we draft this year.

As for Hargrove, I think he'll improve, but it's becoming very obvious how much Little's problems have hurt this team's tactics in fixing problems. We can't be overaggressive for Bryce Fisher because he might not even be a full time starter in 2005 if Little is innocent, but we won't really know if we'll need him until late March or April. If we don't resign Bryce and Little is found guilty, then I think we have to be looking at a DE within the first two rounds because all we'd have is Hargrove and Tyoka.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I got a gut feeling that Little doesn't miss a game. I bet he gets some kind of community service coupled with probation. I'm no lawyer, but I play one on TV.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

serkicker32 is offline Registered User

we should draft David Pollack or Bill Swacutt for DE they both play with high moters and I feel that David would elevate his defense just by his presence and work ethic, just like Grant Winstrom

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Sporting News Rams report

I got a gut feeling that Little doesn't miss a game. I bet he gets some kind of community service coupled with probation. I'm no lawyer, but I play one on TV.

I'm sure if Little is found guilty... and only receives community service .... and probabtion . He is definately looking at some game suspensions from the league. The only way we dont loose him is if he is totally found not guilty. Any chance Flowers gets resigned ??? :ramlogo:
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

I'm sure if Little is found guilty... and only receives community service .... and probabtion . He is definately looking at some game suspensions from the league. The only way we dont loose him is if he is totally found not guilty.
    Actually, the only way we lose him is if he IS found guilty. If there's a plea bargain, which I understand could happen, then the league won't be able to do anything since he was not found guilty.

Who knows? I think Avenger would have the best input on this.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Actually, the only way we lose him is if he IS found guilty. If there's a plea bargain, which I understand could happen, then the league won't be able to do anything since he was not found guilty.

Who knows? I think Avenger would have the best input on this.
    IIRC, that's exactly what AV said a few weeks ago when the subject came up.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Daspeerman is offline Registered User

Unhappy Re: Sporting News Rams report

If there's a plea bargain .... YOU ARE FOUND GUILTY .... it is just a lesser charge .... so I would think that the league would definately take action .... If he's NOT found guilty, then they couldn't take action. :ramlogo:
    DASPEERMAN!!!!!!
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave intending on arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, martini in hand, body thoroughly used up, worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Then what would the lesser charge be? Where's our resident lawyer?
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -02-10-2005 at 11:14 PM.

RamTime Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daspeerman

If there's a plea bargain .... YOU ARE FOUND GUILTY .... it is just a lesser charge .... so I would think that the league would definately take action .... If he's NOT found guilty, then they couldn't take action. :ramlogo:
    I'm thinking that it depends on what he plea bargains to. Speeding? There probably will not be any league intervention. If he is convicted of a wet wreck less? League probably steps in. It depends on what he is ultimately convicted of. One thing I would do if I were the D.A. is take his drivers license for as long as the law allows. I think this would go a long way in keeping him from getting behind the wheel drunk or sober. It's not like he cannot afford a cab. Then if he still doesn't get it then what ever they decide to do with him to insure safety of others is fine by me.
    Has anyone got any info on how vigorous the DA is going to approach this case? If I remember right, he refused the breath/blood/urine test and all they have to go on is what Little said at the time of the arrest (Which allegedly was "Yes he had been drinking)" and what the arresting officer testifies to.

Where's AV or Gen Counsel. I'd sure like to hear a professional opinion about this.