RamWraith is offline Registered User

St. Louis Adds Some Furrey to Secondary

Wednesday, May 4, 2005

By Nick Wagoner
    Staff Writer

When Rams coach Mike Martz randomly dropped the news that receiver Mike Furrey was switching to safety at his final draft weekend press conference more than a few eyebrows raised.

Upon further inspection, though, the move seems to make a lot of sense. Receiver has generally been the most difficult position to earn a roster spot in the past few years and this year was going to be no different.

Safety, on the other hand, is about as wide open as receiver is locked up. So, when Martz discussed the possibility of the move with Furrey a few weeks ago, Furrey couldn’t help but be energized about the chance the new position would provide him.

“He’s very excited about it,” Martz said. “He’s a guy that obviously is going to play the ball very well. He judges the ball very well.”

That part should come natural for Furrey, who has lined up at wide receiver in both of his NFL seasons. The move might have been more than just the past three or four weeks in the making, though.

As Furrey’s value to the special teams – Martz called Furrey perhaps the team’s best special teams player last season – became clear, so too did the need to have him on the field as often as possible. But with so many injuries on the offensive line and in the secondary, it became nearly impossible to get Furrey on the active roster every Sunday. There simply wasn’t enough room for a sixth receiver to hold a spot when the need for extra linemen and defensive backs was so glaring.

Furrey ended up playing in 10 games (including both playoff games). In the games he did play, Furrey made just one catch for 8 yards. Most of his production was done on special teams, where he tied for second on the team with 13 tackles.

While he was spending about half of his season on the bench, Furrey said the thought of moving to a spot where he could play more entered into his mind.

“Someone mentioned something to me about it and I started paying more attention to it, but nothing really serious,” Furrey said. “It was something that sounded interesting. It was frustrating because you want to be out there playing and contributing in those games. It was a tough situation where you have six guys, especially with Isaac (Bruce) and Torry (Holt) and four guys fighting for the third and fourth receiver spot. Kevin (Curtis) and Shaun (McDonald) were doing a great job, so it was tough. Especially bouncing back from ’03 when Dane (Looker) and I were the third and fourth guys playing. So, it was definitely tough being up and down and up and down. It was a rollercoaster.”

Make no mistake, the rollercoaster hasn’t stopped for Furrey, he is just switching rides. To make the move from offense to defense will not be easy, but Furrey does have a few things working in his favor.

As a receiver, Furrey knows how other receivers work. That should allow him to be able to notice cues that opponents might give away. Also helping Furrey’s cause is his previous experience as a defensive back.

Furrey was a receiver/cornerback for the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League for two years. Of course, playing cornerback in the offense-heavy Arena League is not quite the same as playing safety in the NFL.

There’s not any comparison, but the biggest thing is what I have learned on offense I think is going to be able to translate over to my knowledge on defense,” Furrey said. “I should know what people are doing, how they line up and formations and personnel. Things like that will come pretty easy. Now, I just have to go out and get my technique down and be able to hit people and be in a position to start locking people down.”

That isn’t to say that the move is going to be flawless. The first order of business after his discussion with Martz was to begin adding weight. Furrey was listed at 185 pounds last season, but estimates that he probably was closer to 180.
    That was fine for receiver, but playing safety requires a player to be able to pack more of a punch. An additional 20 pounds sounded just about right. For Furrey that meant it was time to hit the dinner table.

"I have been eating like a horse,” Furrey said. “Every day I try to get a big three meals a day and snacking in between, just throwing it down. Then I try to come in and work out and try to translate that weight into muscle.”

It appears to be working, as Furrey is up to about 200 pounds, most of which appears to be muscle. Furrey’s daily diet has been quite expansive. He usually starts with a big salad followed by a big steak, some potatoes, rolls and pasta. Furrey has spent plenty of time in the weight room to complement his new “diet.”

With the physical part of the move out of the way, Furrey said he needs to start working on other things such as relearning to backpedal. As a receiver, Furrey rarely if ever runs backward. The same thing can be said about his special teams experience, where he earned a reputation for running full speed down the sideline to bust up the wedge on kick coverage.

That status as a special teams player was the main motivation behind the move, according to Martz.“A guy that is this aggressive, this tenacious on special teams you have got to think it would carry over some to defense,” Martz said. “If he’s our sixth receiver, which could happen again, it’s hard to get him on the roster every week. If he’s your fifth safety so to speak then there is potential to be on there.”

Of course, Furrey has his eye on more than simply a fifth safety spot. With Adam Archuleta the only returning safety on the squad, there is an open starting position that will be up for grabs in training camp.

In the meantime, Furrey said there are certain things he will miss about receiver, particularly the camaraderie among the receiving corps. With that said, Furrey has already sent the message to his former position group about what could happen when they come over the middle in practice.

They all know, they all know now,” Furrey said. “Even though you can’t touch 81 and 80… (the rest of them) know and they joke around about it.”

Curtis, McDonald and Looker probably have no intention of letting Furrey get a clean shot on them, but Furrey points to what is already his greatest strength at his new position as his advantage.
    “I know their ins and outs.”

COMINGS AND GOINGS: Defensive back Corey Ivy officially signed his one-year contract with the Rams on Wednesday…Undrafted free agent Keon Newson, a defensive back out of Bowling Green, was released.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: St. Louis Adds Some Furrey to Secondary

Sounds good to me. No real downside. If it works we only get stronger, if not, we still have a great speacial teams player and a solid reciever at the ready.

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Should have released him so he could try to make receiver on another team.

He needs to see the writing on the wall.

tanus is offline Registered User

lmao, everyone *****es about our special teams and you want to release one of our best STers? i love it.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, Furrey has become quite an important player in the Rams roster. He's earned it.

I hope the transition will work well. To me, it must be very difficult to go from WR to DB ... it's not just the weight issue (200 lbs) but the intincts, the knack required in the NFL to work against the myriad of offensive schemes and the knowledge required to "play" certain receivers a certain way.

What's the name of the Patriots' WR that worked DB last year? He did okay.

I don't like the Patriots. I like Mike Furrey. He's a smart, tough guy. 'Wish him well.

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

There is a lot of competition for safety.

I wish I had a crystal ball to know if Arch is going to make it back. I hope he does. Archuleta is fun one to watch. He has a nose for the ball and likes to make big tackles. Granted not too many last year, but playing injured does not lend itself to smashing into people.

Furrey does have a bit of an advantage since he can think like a receiver. It will be interesting to see if he can play both sides of the ball.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

The receiver for the Patriots who subbed as a defensive back was Troy Brown and yes RealRam, he did better than ok particularly when they played us. The Pats are not showing him much love though as I believe they released him. Not positive about that.

With Furrey being as tough and persistent as he has been so far, I would not be surprised to see him stick in some capacity. I wish him luck!

Shadesofgrey is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by sbramfan
    Should have released him so he could try to make receiver on another team.

He needs to see the writing on the wall.
    HUH...We had the worst special teams in the league last year and now we want to drop one of the only productive guys on special teams..."Puts gun to temple"

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Shadesofgrey
    HUH...We had the worst special teams in the league last year and now we want to drop one of the only productive guys on special teams..."Puts gun to temple"
    Excellent point, SOG. Furrey isn't on the this roster to be a receiver. He made his worth last year on ST. If he can play safety (where he played in the AFL), then by all means let's keep him. He's one of the few guys that actually made ST plays last year. If for no other reason, Furrey, Trev Faulk & Wilkins should make the roster since they are the only players that can tackle a return man.

Sidenote: Shades, enquiring minds want to know...who is that advanced chemistry major (from the neck down)in your sig. picture? My guess is WWE's Batista. Am I right?
    Last edited by HUbison; -05-05-2005 at 12:10 PM.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RealRam is offline Registered User

Furrey's current jersey No. is 82. :O

Serious Rams meetings must be taking place to decide: change of jersey No. or have a DB with a very unusual number running around in the secondary?

Now that's a debate! :tongue:

ramstiles is offline Registered User

I hope Furrey makes the roster he deserves a chance