Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By RockinRam

Thread: St. Louis...Get Ready For 'Jenkins' Island

RockinRam is offline Registered User

St. Louis...Get Ready For 'Jenkins' Island

I haven't started a thread in a while as I've been busy for the past months, but there is always one thing that is always on my mind.

Janoris Jenkins.

I never really considered him a serious option for the Rams before the draft, and after drafting him, I was on the fence. But as I looked more into the subject, looked at his tapes, looked at his personal issues, I can't help but think that this kid will be the next big star.

Let's talk about his talent first and foremost. Forget the personal issues, let's look at his talent. On a talent scale, he was arguably the most talented CB coming out of the draft. Yes, even more talented than Morris Claiborne (who I thought was a bit overrated...I call it the LSU Patrick Peterson Syndrome).

He is fast and very quick. He has excellent acceleration and agility allowing him to run step by step with the fastest and quickest receivers. He tracks the ball very well, and he has the technique to shut down any receiver. He has insanely fluid hips and very quick feet allowing him to change direction like an All-Pro, something you would expect from Darrelle Revis, not a rookie. He is physical and can effectively play press, and uses that physicality to also help him be a sound tackler. He has incredible instincts and play recognition. His film is one of the best of any corner to come out since Patrick Peterson. Analysts believe that he is a better corner than Joe Haden. During interviews, he showed he was also a smart and intelligent cornerback by analyzing the different receivers he played against and their strengths and weaknesses. He also explained that at his time in Florida and N. Alabama, he would help out the younger players.

He has all the talent in the world to be the next shutdown corner.

Next, let's look at his pedigree. He is SEC proven. He has played against the likes of A.J Green, Julio Jones, and Alshon Jeffrey and played very well against them. Even though those receivers had about 4-5 inches over him, Jenkins only allowed one TD between that group, indicating that his size was not a disadvantage in the redzone.

Also, he was one of the few corners in college football that could shut down A.J Green. In an interview, A.J Green even went to say that "Janoris Jenkins is Top 5 talent, and is as good as Patrick Peterson." Those are strong words coming from an insanely talented young WR comparing Jenkins to one of the most elite CBs to come out of college football in a very long time.

At Northern Alabama, he showed that he did not get lazy and also shut down lower level receivers (a lot of athletes play "down" to their competition, which is a bad habit to have).

Now, for his issues. It's realized that he has more red flags than May Day in Moscow. I can kind of understand the marijuana incidents, as although he was a famed and well-known prospect in Florida, most people forget the fact that he was young and in college. Now I'm not endorsing college kids doing marijuana is right, but at some point slack has to be given considering that most college kids will do things they will regret later. It's kind of a live and learn thing.

As for his kids situation, I question his ability to use common sense at times, but I have seen world-class athletes make these mistakes because they think they are on top of the world and nothing can bring them down. Well, a few kids will AND can put your feet right back on the ground real fast.

He says his kids give him motivation to become a better person. He also says that the past is the past, and that he has learned and matured and that he is different now. I hope he is right.

In my opinion, I think Jeff Fisher publicly endorsing and supporting Jenkins gives Jenkins a lot of confidence and urge to be the expected person he needs to be. I can only assume that Jenkins maybe had a troubled childhood (which has the tendency to lead to future bad decisions), and by having a well-respected member of the football community (Jeff Fisher) publicly put their faith in you, I would assume that you want to make them know that they made the right choice. Sometimes all it takes is a little belief in someone to make them do better.

Our locker room is also fundamentally solid and having that kind of environment for Jenkins to be around in can only benefit him. I feel that with the combination of our locker room, Fisher, and our veteran staff, Jenkins will be in a situation where he has every opportunity to become the man he says he wants and will be.

Janoris Jenkins is the biggest gamble that this team has taken in quite a while. It was a bold and risky move. It could pay huge dividends, or it could turn into a wasted 2nd round pick. What I do know is that this kid has incredible talent, football knowledge, pedigree, and the right environment for his situation. You cannot have progress and success without risk. You cannot elevate to the next level without taking chances. Janoris Jenkins was a big risk. Big risks either brings big winnings, or big losses and more wisdom. In the end, I feel that Janoris Jenkins will be our next big winning.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis...Get Ready For 'Jenkins' Island

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I haven't started a thread in a while as I've been busy for the past months, but there is always one thing that is always on my mind.

Janoris Jenkins.

I never really considered him a serious option for the Rams before the draft, and after drafting him, I was on the fence. But as I looked more into the subject, looked at his tapes, looked at his personal issues, I can't help but think that this kid will be the next big star.

Let's talk about his talent first and foremost. Forget the personal issues, let's look at his talent. On a talent scale, he was arguably the most talented CB coming out of the draft. Yes, even more talented than Morris Claiborne (who I thought was a bit overrated...I call it the LSU Patrick Peterson Syndrome).

He is fast and very quick. He has excellent acceleration and agility allowing him to run step by step with the fastest and quickest receivers. He tracks the ball very well, and he has the technique to shut down any receiver. He has insanely fluid hips and very quick feet allowing him to change direction like an All-Pro, something you would expect from Darrelle Revis, not a rookie. He is physical and can effectively play press, and uses that physicality to also help him be a sound tackler. He has incredible instincts and play recognition. His film is one of the best of any corner to come out since Patrick Peterson. Analysts believe that he is a better corner than Joe Haden. During interviews, he showed he was also a smart and intelligent cornerback by analyzing the different receivers he played against and their strengths and weaknesses. He also explained that at his time in Florida and N. Alabama, he would help out the younger players.

He has all the talent in the world to be the next shutdown corner.

Next, let's look at his pedigree. He is SEC proven. He has played against the likes of A.J Green, Julio Jones, and Alshon Jeffrey and played very well against them. Even though those receivers had about 4-5 inches over him, Jenkins only allowed one TD between that group, indicating that his size was not a disadvantage in the redzone.

Also, he was one of the few corners in college football that could shut down A.J Green. In an interview, A.J Green even went to say that "Janoris Jenkins is Top 5 talent, and is as good as Patrick Peterson." Those are strong words coming from an insanely talented young WR comparing Jenkins to one of the most elite CBs to come out of college football in a very long time.

At Northern Alabama, he showed that he did not get lazy and also shut down lower level receivers (a lot of athletes play "down" to their competition, which is a bad habit to have).

Now, for his issues. I I can kind of understand the marijuana incidents, as although he was a famed and well-known prospect in Florida, most people forget the fact that he was young and in college. Now I'm not endorsing college kids doing marijuana is right, but at some point slack has to be given considering that most college kids will do things they will regret later. It's kind of a live and learn thing.

As for his kids situation, I question his ability to use common sense at times, but I have seen world-class athletes make these mistakes because they think they are on top of the world and nothing can bring them down. Well, a few kids will AND can put your feet right back on the ground real fast.

He says his kids give him motivation to become a better person. He also says that the past is the past, and that he has learned and matured and that he is different now. I hope he is right.

In my opinion, I think Jeff Fisher publicly endorsing and supporting Jenkins gives Jenkins a lot of confidence and urge to be the expected person he needs to be. I can only assume that Jenkins maybe had a troubled childhood (which has the tendency to lead to future bad decisions), and by having a well-respected member of the football community (Jeff Fisher) publicly put their faith in you, I would assume that you want to make them know that they made the right choice. Sometimes all it takes is a little belief in someone to make them do better.

Our locker room is also fundamentally solid and having that kind of environment for Jenkins to be around in can only benefit him. I feel that with the combination of our locker room, Fisher, and our veteran staff, Jenkins will be in a situation where he has every opportunity to become the man he says he wants and will be.

Janoris Jenkins is the biggest gamble that this team has taken in quite a while. It was a bold and risky move. It could pay huge dividends, or it could turn into a wasted 2nd round pick. What I do know is that this kid has incredible talent, football knowledge, pedigree, and the right environment for his situation. You cannot have progress and success without risk. You cannot elevate to the next level without taking chances. Janoris Jenkins was a big risk. Big risks either brings big winnings, or big losses and more wisdom. In the end, I feel that Janoris Jenkins will be our next big winning.
    It's realized that he has more red flags than May Day in Moscow.

HAH!!....Now that's funny!

general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis...Get Ready For 'Jenkins' Island

I believe that he will be the best rams corner since leroy irvin.

ramming speed to all

general counsel