r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

St. Louis Rams' Adam Carriker Hopes For Another Chance

St. Louis Rams' Adam Carriker hopes for another chance

BY JIM THOMAS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/08/2010

Three seasons into his NFL career, defensive tackle Adam Carriker must prove himself all over again and he knows it.

"I've definitely got to show myself and play well," Carriker said. "And I'm just looking forward to doing that."

Carriker never made it to opening day in 2009, suffering a season-ending shoulder injury in the Rams' preseason finale against Kansas City. Carriker underwent shoulder surgery Sept. 9.

Coach Steve Spagnuolo's staff may have a sense of what Carriker can do. But they've seen very little of him in person on the practice field or on game day. Prior to the shoulder injury, he missed three weeks of training camp and three preseason games with an ankle injury.

At this point, while the coaching staff and front office sifts through their roster options for 2010, Carriker can't be sure how or even if he fits into the team's plans. But he'd like the opportunity to revive his career for the team that drafted him 13th overall in 2007.

"I would love to play here," Carriker said. "I would love to stay here. I've got a home here. The Rams are my home. St. Louis is my home."

Nearly four months removed from surgery, Carriker is far along in his rehab program. "After four months, you're pretty much free to lift (weights) with a few restrictions," he said. "But pretty much I'm working on getting my full strength back."

Carriker hopes to be full-strength once the Rams begin their offseason conditioning program March 15. "Everything's on schedule, right on par if not a little bit ahead," Carriker said.

By the time the Rams reach spring practices and minicamp, Carriker may have competition at defensive tackle from former Nebraska teammate Ndamukong Suh.

"Why not? If they feel he's the best player," Carriker said. "That's really up to the guys upstairs. They'll do whatever they think is best for the team."

Here's a look at how other Rams are healing from season-ending injuries:

WR KEENAN BURTON

Burton was leading the Rams in receptions (25) when he suffered a season-ending patellar injury in his right knee Nov. 15 against New Orleans. He had surgery six weeks ago, and says he's on pace to begin jogging next month.

Team medical officials have told Burton he's ahead of schedule so far in his rehab, but Burton is unsure whether he'll be able to participate in spring practices. Burton was starting to settle in as an NFL pass-catcher when the injury occurred.

"I was feeling like I had been feeling when I was in college," said Burton, who attended Kentucky. "I was getting back to it. But you know what? In the grand scheme of things, everything happens for a reason. ... I'm just excited about the opportunity to get healthy, and excited about getting back to where I was before I got hurt."

OG JACOB BELL

Bell missed the final three games because of a hamstring injury suffered Dec. 13 against Tennessee. He had been playing with a torn ligament in his thumb since the bye week, and underwent thumb surgery last week.

"I'd just been playing with a splint wrapped around my thumb during games, and since I wasn't able to play (because of the hamstring injury), I just figured I'd get it taken care of," Bell said. "The thumb actually wasn't as bad as they thought when they got in there, so that's good."

Bell said both the thumb and hamstring injuries should be fine by the time the Rams' offseason program begins in March.

OG MARK SETTERSTROM

After missing all but three games over the 2007 and '08 seasons with knee injuries, Setterstrom's goal in '09 was to make it through all 16 games and contribute to the team however he could. He fell 1 games short of that goal, suffering a season-ending left triceps injury extending his arm on a run block Dec. 27 against Arizona.

"It was disappointing that it had to happen so close to the end of the season," Setterstrom said. "Hopefully, I can get it healed up in the next couple months."

Setterstrom, who started three games this season, underwent surgery last week and will have the cast removed next week. He expects a four- to five-month recovery period, so at the worst, Setterstrom hopes to be ready for training camp.

DT GARY GIBSON

For four seasons, Gibson had worked hard to get a foothold in the NFL. He earned a starting job for the first time this season, stepping into the void created by Carriker's injury problems. But five games into the season, Minnesota's Artis Hicks shoved Gibson late. Gibson landed awkwardly and suffered a broken ankle. Hicks was fined $5,000 by the NFL for unnecessary roughness.

"It was definitely a year of opportunity for me," Gibson said. "It's upsetting that I had to get hurt, especially on a cheap-shot type thing, but I'm back in the gym, back ready to go for next year to do it all over again."

A plate was inserted to help the broken bone heal. Gibson is doing a little jogging, and said he should be OK for spring practices.

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams' Adam Carriker Hopes For Another Chance

glad to hear it about carriker and burton, two guys im eager to see in spring practice. Lots of people are ready to call it in with Carriker and let him go, but i want to see what this guy has and if he can stay moderately healthy for us, hes shown flashes when healthy and him and Suh, with clifton ryan thrown in there sounds like a nasty interior to me.

Should be a great WR competition going on in camp this year, free for all for jobs, best man gets it. Id like us to move avery to the slot this year...

Canadian Rams Fan is offline Registered User

I am also happy to hear that Carriker is going to be coming back from injury. I think he deserves a chance to prove himself in camp.

It kind of sucks for him to have to prove himself all over again, and with a coach like Spags who really likes to be creative with the front four you know he pays extra attention to them. I just think that he has his work cut out for him.

I think that he has some talent, but not as a N.T more as the under tackle or 3 technique whatever terminology you prefer.

This is just another example of the former management and how they just dropped the ball with player evaluations and draft picks. Who drafts a 3-4 end to play N.T in a 4-3 anyway. I know they were all about speed and pressure. This is how the scheme was built however the rams were not even getting to the quaterback in the past. If you guys remember before they drafted Chris Long the Rams were pathetic in the sack count.

I think that when Carriker faces the double teams which a good nose tackle does I think that carriker becomes innefective and often he did not get that double coverage. I think that coming from a 3-4 scheme where he played at end he should not be starting as a nose tackle I think that he should be playing at the under tackle where he will be facing more one on one batles and will be able to break free to get pressure or come off his block to make the tackle to help stop the run.

I remember seeing him play when he came out and when he was not at the N.T possition he was able to break free and get to the quaterback and help stop the run with some impressive tackles. I thought this guy had a nasty streak and could become something special but was playing out of position. I really believe in this guy, but he has got to stay healthy and prove himself all over again. Just go back and watch him on youtube from his rookie season.

However I also thought that Gary Gibson was doing a pretty descent job before he went down with his injury. Which was such a cheap shot I.M.O. For those who do not remember what happened the opposing player shoved him on the left shoulder after the play was done. It was a late hit and he fell over and broke his ankle. Well , that is the nature of the beast I suppose.

The Rams were better against the run when he was in there they were allowing approximately 114-120 yds per game against the run before he went down and then it balooned to approx. 150 yds against the run. You could argue they were facing stiffer competition after his injury, but I do not believe that.However they finished with appox. 137.5 yds per game allowed vs. the run at the end of the season after Spags started allowing the rookie Darrelll Scott come in and play. Which I did not get the chance to really see him play.

With these guys and Clifton Ryan as with others this just proves my point that he (Carriker) has his work cut out for him to try and earn a spot. Do not forget that Spags has gone on record as saying that he wants to create competition all over the field.

I guess this just leeds me to believe how badly the Rams need that N.T position filled and with house of spears that indeed will be done. I know it is cliche to say, but it all starts up front. Those big uglys as people like to call them plug up the holes and push back the pocket they take up three to four players some times to block them which allows for one on ones on the outside and allows the linebackers to roam free. Those tackles push back the pocket and really help against the run, and we all know which leeds to making your entire defence that much better.

Just imagine what the defence would look like adding house of spears (Ndamukong Suh) to the equation. I am drulling at the mouth just thinking about it.

As for this trend that I am noticing about Avery playing the slot. I just do not buy into it. I think that Avery is more of a speed guy who was just starting to polish off his route running last season. You have got to remember that he did not run specific routes in college. Avery is a deep threat but we did not have the O-line to keep the quaterback upright, granting him enough time to let Avery break free to toss him the ball. Just look back at the games every single time they tried to go deep to Avery the quaterback had to throw early not allowing him time to step into his throw causing the ball to be underthrown. Which led to the quaterback getting hit hard. No wonder they were not taking more shots downfield. With all of the quaterback injuries as well Avery just could not get used to his quaterback or vice versa. It was incredibly frustrating.

IMO a slot receiver is a guy with tremendous hands who runs smooth routes underneath which means he will get licked by either the safety of the linebackers in most casses. Which in my opinion Avery does not handle getting hit hard all that well. Look at when he got popped last game. vs. the ***** People always want that speed guy for the slot for when the defence is caught in cover 2 with that huge hole in the middle allowing the receiver to catch the ball and jet down the middle of the field to create a big play after the catch. You also have to remember the underneath routes often run the slants or digs. I think that this has Gibson written all over it. I am asking you guys to prove me wrong. I have seen it posted all over the forums Avery to the slot and I ask you guys why........

I would much rather see Laurent Robinson and Avery on the outside with Gibson manning the slot and Amendola and even Keenan Burton as the fourth option.

As for Bulger retiring....... read my lips is not happening. I hate to say this, but I do not think Marc is going anywhere. He loves the city and loves this team I think it is his to lose until someone comes in and takes it from him. He is also marrying a local and wants to grow old in the area. The rams are in a great cap situation and why would they not hang on to him for another season or two bring in someone to learn from him and learn the system aka a la Aaron Rogers.

Go Rams

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Rams Fan View Post
    I am also happy to hear that Carriker is going to be coming back from injury.

I think that when Carriker faces the double teams which a good nose tackle does I think that carriker becomes innefective and often he did not get that double coverage. I think that coming from a 3-4 scheme where he played at end he should not be starting as a nose tackle I think that he should be playing at the under tackle where he will be facing more one on one batles and will be able to break free to get pressure or come off his block to make the tackle to help stop the run.

Go Rams

i totally agree

Bralidore(RAMMODE) is offline Registered User

good thing about that is he WILL be playing under tackle in all likelihood. Suh and Carriker on the interior gives me goosebumps. Long on the outside....*lets out girlie little yelp of pleasure* If ONE guy draws a double team on average on this front four then there is one on ones everywhere else. If you don't double Long, he will 8/10 times win his match-up, especially playing at LE. We all know the possibilities that could happen with Suh in a one-on-one...

You can't possibly double team two guys on a d-line without help of a tightend and we all know no tight ends are going to block Chris Long.

Add frequent blitzes to the equation and the possible emergence of Carriker and or our other end possibly requiring double teams (big what-if there) and its like....who do you block?

*Bral smells frequent sacks*