Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

St. Louis Rams add names to head coaching search list

St. Louis Rams add names to head coaching search list
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    01/02/2009

The Rams are expected today to formally seek permission to interview Dallas wide receivers coach Ray Sherman and Miami assistant head coach-secondary coach Todd Bowles for their head-coaching position.

If, as expected, the Rams receive consent, those interviews could take place early next week. So far, Green Bay assistant head coach-linebackers coach Winston Moss is the only coaching candidate already scheduled for an interview, which will take place this weekend.

Sherman, 57, has been with the Cowboys the past two seasons. He has 21 seasons of NFL coaching experience and seemingly has worked everywhere as an assistant coach. He has been with the Houston Oilers (1988-89), Atlanta (1990), San Francisco (1991-93), the New York Jets (1994), Minnesota (1995-97, and '99), Pittsburgh (1998), Green Bay (2000-04) and Tennessee (2005-06).

Sherman has spent most of his NFL coaching career as a position coach mainly wide receivers, but also running backs and quarterbacks but was offensive coordinator at Pittsburgh in '98 and Minnesota in '99.

He's considered a high-character person, and a quiet leader who relates well to players.

Bowles, 45, spent eight seasons playing defensive back with Washington and San Francisco, earning a Super Bowl championship ring with the Redskins in Super Bowl XXII (the 1987 season). Tony Sparano brought Bowles with him from Dallas when Sparano became Miami's head coach one year ago.

Bowles spent three seasons with the Cowboys (2005-07) as secondary coach, and previously worked in the NFL as an assistant coach in Cleveland (2001-04) and the New York Jets (2000), also working with defensive backs.

Bowles is considered an ascending coach and one of the league's bright young defensive minds.

League sources told the Post-Dispatch on Thursday that by the end of the weekend the team will, as expected, seek permission to speak with Minnesota assistant head coach-defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier and Baltimore assistant head coach-defensive coordinator Rex Ryan.

Frazier and Ryan were interviewed last year by Atlanta, and Rams general manager Billy Devaney was part of that search while working in the Falcons' front office.

The Dolphins, Vikings and Ravens are involved in wild-card playoff games this weekend. It's possible that the Rams might have waited until the end of this week to seek permission to talk to Bowles, Frazier and Ryan to avoid being a distraction to those clubs' playoff preparation.

There should be even more candidates. Tennessee defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz will be a candidate once the Titans are eliminated from the playoffs.

In addition, the Rams are considering former New York Giants coach Jim Fassel and have talked to the agents of Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and Dallas assistant head coach-offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams add names to head coaching search list

I was going to be really upset if I didn't see either Schwartz's or Spags' name there because so far I have not been impressed with who and how we've been going about the search. I know a few of the guys are all in the playoffs but to even consider subpar "coaching candidates" like Sherman is just unacceptable. I want to be excited about my new head coach and not be forced to buy into what they've "done", like I had to do with Linehan.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Well, I think this certainly eliminates the possibility that one, Moss is a Rooney rule candidate, and two, that Haslett has the job already. Unlike a number of my fellow clan members, I think that if we actually go through this extensive search and Haslett gets the job, it wasn't his from the start, Devaney will just judge that he's the best suited, given that he already has experience on the job and has expressed his plans as the best for the franchise. That said, I most definitely want to see what these other coaches might have in mind and who they would employ to get the job done.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I knew we would have to wait to talk to some of our candidates due to the fact that they are in the playoffs.

I certainly hope that we get a good coach in here. I like the Spags, Ryan and Schwartz. If we land one of these guys, I will be excited.

We can only hope that the Haz isn't here next year. And if he is, we better see some good FA aquisitions and draft picks...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Certainly an interesting array of candidates. Position coaches worry me a bit because they haven't always tasted the awesome responsibility of what a HC must deal with. Although Sherman was a OC at Pittsburgh and Minnesota. Pittsburgh was never widely known for their offense and I think we've already had one Minnesota OC here already, so I'm not overly impressed.

My faith lies in the fact that Devaney is having Bobby Beathard advise him in this process. I still think if we can luck out with a previous HC like Schottenheimer or Shanahan we might be well served. Haslett is not in that group, because his tenure with us and the Saints is spotty at best.

Stay tuned...Go Rams!

AlphaRam is offline Registered User

Ditka is available.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Position coaches worry me a bit because they haven't always tasted the awesome responsibility of what a HC must deal with.
    Maybe....., but also, Sparano, Zorn, & Harbaugh did alright for themselves this year w/o coordinator experience.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    Well, I think this certainly eliminates the possibility that one, Moss is a Rooney rule candidate, and two, that Haslett has the job already. Unlike a number of my fellow clan members, I think that if we actually go through this extensive search and Haslett gets the job, it wasn't his from the start, Devaney will just judge that he's the best suited, given that he already has experience on the job and has expressed his plans as the best for the franchise. That said, I most definitely want to see what these other coaches might have in mind and who they would employ to get the job done.
    I see what you are saying and I am one of those that think Haslett may already have the job,you can go through the search process but if your only interviewing B Quality canidates along with Haslett,then that should tell you something also,now bring in some of the big names such as Spags,Marty,Ditka(as AV says),Shanahan,Ryan and others then I will say the process was done correctly.

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Maybe....., but also, Sparano, Zorn, & Harbaugh did alright for themselves this year w/o coordinator experience.

Very true. I wasn't attempting to say we should only consider coordinators, clearly Linehan proves that theory. I'm sure that the team Devaney has assembled to counsel him will provide good insights on whether any postion coach or coordinator is up to the task. Just the fact that Devaney has done this gives me real optimism. The previous GM was such an egotist he would never ask for anyone's input.

I just want us to make the right choice on football terms AND personality terms. Gaining player (current, draft and FA) confidence will be a major factor in getting us back on track.

Go Rams!

MoonJoe is offline Ram MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Ditka is available.
    Hey, he's got your Coors Light!!!
    "The disappointment of losing is huge!"

Jack Youngblood

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    have talked to the agents....Dallas assistant head coach-offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.
    I hope this isn't any serious talk. I'm not sold on Garrett being head coach worthy at this point.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 8352
    Just the fact that Devaney has done this gives me real optimism.
    Couldn't agree more. Searching for personnel through law books and tarot cards has been done with less than stellar success. It's 'bout time someone put the control in actual football types.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Are the Rams seriously considering concluding this search without bringing in one Larry Marmie for an interview? That instantly tears away all credibilty from Devanney and his knowledge of football.

BIG-BLUE is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaRam View Post
    Ditka is available.
    I believe old man Jim ( playoffs? playoffs? ) Mora & Denny ( they are who we thought they were ) Green are both available. Besides Ditka would probably convince the Rams to trade away the whole draft to get someone like Tim Tebow, yea that's it Tebow