Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By RebelYell
  • 1 Post By NJ Ramsfan1
  • 2 Post By Sauceman
  • 2 Post By Mikey

Thread: St. Louis Rams: Another rebuilding year?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

St. Louis Rams: Another rebuilding year?

March 10, 2014 by Josue Zamora

The St. Louis Rams have been the youngest team in the league for the past two seasons. It is something you would expect out of a team that is looking to rebuild and get back on track. When head coach Jeff Fisher was brought into the organization, many predicted this would be a three-year project. We are now heading into the third year and it looks like it may be another season of rebuilding

There are more questions than ever on both sides of the ball. Quarterback Sam Bradford is heading into his fifth season and third year under coach Fisher, but coming of an ACL injury, many are not sure Bradford will ever be the franchise quarterback. The front office has worked on getting him a solid offensive line and many weapons on offense.

The o-line did a decent job last season, but this year they look like they may be back to square one. Offensive tackle Rodger Saffold recently notified the team he will be heading into free agency. In addition the Rams are still in need at the guard position. Although the line did a good job last year, there were still lots of injuries and moving around on the line. It is highly likely the Rams will be looking to pick up a couple of hogs in this years draft to start rebuilding the line.

On defense, the Rams have a strong front seven that might finally have a break out season. The secondary is the area on defense that is in question. Many believed the Rams had a solid one-two punch at corner last season with Janoris Jenkins and Cortland Finnegan, but those two fell short of expectations. Jenkins had a few flashes of brilliance, but nowhere near his rookie season. Finnegan on the other hand laid an egg. He was no longer a shut down corner as he kept getting beat by receivers, and was never able to shake the injury bug as he finished the season on the IR. Trumaine Johnson, which filled in for Finnegan showed he can hold his own, but it is yet to be seen if he is a long-term solution.

There are a lot of attractive names out there in free agency like Alterraun Verner, Aqib Talib, and Brent Grimes, but it is yet to be seen if the St. Louis Rams want to make another hefty commitment to another cornerback after coming up short with Finnegan.

The other area for concern is at the safety position. Last years draft class at safety was deep and the Rams found a gem in former USC safety T.J. McDonald. He was having a solid season before being injured mid season. McDonald did return, but you could see the time off left some rust on him. Rodney McLeod the other safety, put up solid numbers finishing with 79 tackles and 4 turnovers, but he is better suited as a backup.

From all the rumors that are starting to swirl around, it seems as if Fisher is once again looking to build up the defense with proven players, but is putting his faith at upgrading the offense through the draft. This may be a formula that works, but it is yet to be seen. The Seattle Seahawks showed last season that defense does win championships, but they did have a solid cast on offense. Unless the Rams young receivers surprise everyone, it will be another anemic year on offense for the St. Louis Rams.

Overall, this assessment is fairly accurate. There is one exception which possibly is just semantics. IMO the Rams are continuing to build as opposed to rebuilding.

The rebuild began when Fish/Snead came on board. Two years later the Rams roster looks vastly different. The duo quickly weeded out practically half the roster or more, and replaced the jettisoned players both through free agency, and the draft. At this point I see the Rams as continuing to build around a nucleus of mostly young players.

Agreed that our young receivers need to show real improvement - we will probably acquire one or even two more via the draft. One thing that will vastly help those "young receivers" is an improved offensive line. This is an area that if significantly improved, can help our entire team enormously.

Running the ball successfully is huge.
    Obviously solid pass blocking benefits both receivers and the Qb.
    Long drives wear out opposing Ds while our D rests.

Just my opinion, but O-line, O-line and more O-line, will help this team take it to the next level - i.e. - a winning season. We haven't had one in a while. GO RAMS!
    Last edited by MauiRam; -03-11-2014 at 01:43 AM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams: Another rebuilding year?

On defense, the Rams have a strong front seven that might finally have a break out season.

This like this whole article is a stretch... might have a breakout year? Did we not dominate in sacks the last two years?

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

The article starts out with a prediciton of a 3 year plan? Fisher signed a 5 year contract. Which has me wondering what exactly is the plan? 3 years, 4 or 5????

RebelYell is offline Registered User

Any franchise that isn't continually rebuilding is going to be in last place soon enough.
    live4ramin likes this.

macrammer is offline Registered User

I just want a winning season. Very concerned with our WR corps. We do not have a number 1 and anyone we draft will most likely be a year or two out from really producing. Coupled with the holes in our O line.......I will keep my fingers crossed

demiurge is offline Registered User

Yes, this will be a rebuilding year, as I've stated was my belief several times. In another division we might be a threat - in this one, with the last 2 NFC Super Bowl representatives, we aren't. We'll be lucky to make a wild card.

We've got a couple areas of strength (DL, LB, kicking game) and several areas of weakness (S, depth at CB, and now OL).

I still think this is going to be a very good team.

But to truly rival the Niners and Seahawks, which means to be a potential super bowl team, we are at least 1 more year away.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

This article reeks of pessimism. And I take issue with the use of the word "rebuilding". There is no question the Rams have work to do in a number of areas. And the fact that they play in the NFC West does them no favors. But the Rams have quality talent at multiple positions, though to read this article, you'd think the Rams were in for a 5-11 season in 2014 with absolutely no chance at anything. I don't buy that for a second.

The Rams need another good draft. They need a stud at the WR position- either thru the draft or thru someone on the current roster stepping up. They need Bradford to come back healthy and finally be the guy. And if these things happen, there is no reason to think we can't have a winning season with an eye on a playoff spot.

We all know by now that many things do not shake out during the season that were predicted in the pre-season. It is foolish and premature to declare anybody "anything" in March.
    Warner Pride likes this.

Sauceman is online now Registered User

This is a building season, not a rebuilding season. We rebuilt our team to respectability. In 75% of the divisions in football, we're a playoff team, and a scary one at that.

We have the misfortune of being in a division with 3 double-digit win teams, and 2 of the best teams in football. We're done rebuilding; right now, we're building to the playoffs.
    MauiRam and Mikey like this.

Mikey is offline Registered User

I look at it as a fine tuning year. They already did the big rebuilding work the past two years.
    MauiRam and Warner Pride like this.

richtree is offline Registered User

I think with a top 10 defense we can be dangerous....our defense will be up there once we fill in gaps

macrammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by NJ Ramsfan1 View Post
    This article reeks of pessimism. And I take issue with the use of the word "rebuilding". There is no question the Rams have work to do in a number of areas. And the fact that they play in the NFC West does them no favors. But the Rams have quality talent at multiple positions, though to read this article, you'd think the Rams were in for a 5-11 season in 2014 with absolutely no chance at anything. I don't buy that for a second.

The Rams need another good draft. They need a stud at the WR position- either thru the draft or thru someone on the current roster stepping up. They need Bradford to come back healthy and finally be the guy. And if these things happen, there is no reason to think we can't have a winning season with an eye on a playoff spot.

We all know by now that many things do not shake out during the season that were predicted in the pre-season. It is foolish and premature to declare anybody "anything" in March.
    Agreed. Too early to push panic button but there are some rather obvious holes on this team and they are in tough division. Rams need to make smart moves here on out to get themselves in a place that is competitive. It will be interesting to watch what transpires through draft and FA period.

QUINNtessentialTruth is offline Registered User

Not a rebuilding year. A building transition year with playoffs around the corner. Rebuilding means scrapping everything and starting a foundation. We already have a foundation, we just keep building around it.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Least the writer got one thing right, a solid 7 upfront on D. I attribute most of the Rams poor defense showing more on scheme then lack of talent in the secondary or did he fail to notice the first member of the Rams team to be gone was the DC. The old Buddy Ryan 86D Bears/Eagles, proves if you can get to the QB or disrupt the opponents' running game with upfront play, your secondary is better positioned to ball hawk

Yes the Saffold question is valid or I should say what do the Rams do for a guard. But considering the money he expects valuing himself as one of the leagues top FA lineman, if the Rams have to pay, I'd rather the Rams pay for one that is durable. Its a tough division and the Rams need their best players on the field especially during division games

Still its just the start of FA and there is a deep draft at the skill positions which means a lot of lineman may find themselves in the second or third rounds. The Rams have 2 first round picks; sounds like it to me that the Rams can get a couple of 1st round WR and still can back on getting good talent in the later rounds.

Teams lose players, fact of the NFL, and there always is a rotation to some degree on most teams...salary cap casualties, retirement, FA all facts every team faces. For the fan its sit back and wait and hope for the best and that's where we all find ourselves

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    On defense, the Rams have a strong front seven that might finally have a break out season.

This like this whole article is a stretch... might have a breakout year? Did we not dominate in sacks the last two years?
    We piled up the sacks for sure, but we only had 7 wins. I took issue with the article because of the word "rebuilding". We are IMO continuing to build around what appears to be a good nucleus so far. 2014 is the year Sam needs to kick it up a couple of notches, and to so, he needs help. We must be able to run the ball consistently. We must improve pass our blocking. Our young receivers must capitalize on the extra tick good blocking provides by getting noticeably better separation, and then actually CATCHING the ball! If these "musts" were to suddenly materialize, then the Rams would need to have smelling salts readily available for Sam lest he think himself dreaming .. Ah yes, hope abounds yet again ..