RamWraith is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams Brett Romberg set to start again

By Bill Coats
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    11/30/2008

The irony isn't lost on Rams center Brett Romberg, who yielded his starting job because of an injury (his broken hand) and now has regained it because of an injury (Nick Leckey's broken foot).

"That's the NFL for you. It's your job to lose until somebody comes in and takes it, which Nick did," Romberg said. "Nick did a hell of a job, and hopefully I can come in and go right where he left off."

Romberg was hurt in training camp, opening the door for Leckey. Even after Romberg recovered, he couldn't shove Leckey from the lineup. Leckey was scratched minutes before last Sunday's game against Chicago, apparently suffering the season-ending injury during pre-game warmups. He became the ninth Rams player to land on injured reserve.

Romberg was tossed into the lineup vs. the Bears, and he wasn't pleased with his performance in the 27-3 defeat. "I made a few mistakes, a few mental errors. So I definitely have to redeem what I did on Sunday," he said.

EXPECT LONG TO PLAY

When rookie left tackle Jake Long fell to the turf in Sunday's contest against the Patriots, grabbing his right ankle, the Dolphins feared the worst. But after some treatment on the sideline, Long the No. 1 overall pick in the draft limped back into the fray.

"It says an awful lot about his toughness," coach Tony Sparano said. "You had a young player that you think a lot of trying to find ways to get back in that game instead of trying to find ways to get out of the game."

Long, who hasn't missed a game since his sophomore season at Michigan, was limited at practice earlier in the week, but he's expected to be in the lineup Sunday.

SPREADING IT OUT

The Patriots steamrolled the Dolphins 48-28 by using a number of multi-receiver sets, and Sparano said he expects more of the same from the Rams.

"I think they spread you out now, thinking that that's what the Patriots did and see how you respond," he said. "With Steven (Jackson) back there, I think they can spread us out and hand him the ball. So, that's an awful big problem, because you've got to defend both of those deals now."

WELCOME ABOARD

Languishing on the *****' practice squad, rookie linebacker Larry Grant said he was surprised when informed this week that the Rams wanted to sign him to their 53-man roster. "I was just waiting to figure out what San Francisco was going to do, but it was the best decision for me to come out here," said Grant, an Ohio State product drafted in the seventh round by Frisco. Though he's had just three practices with his new team, Grant could see action Sunday, particularly if Gary Stills (back) can't go.

"I've just got to take some of the terminology and just switch it up from what I learned in San Francisco," Grant said. Grant has been working at strongside linebacker with the Rams, behind starter Quinton Culberson.

The Special One is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams Brett Romberg set to start again

"Nick did a hell of a job ...
    I never knew Brett did stand-up in his spare time.

Dr. Defense is online now Registered User

I want to know why if we have so many problems at center then why not go for it and give Dustin Fry a shot at center? He can't be any worse then we already are.

shower beers is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post

Hi-oooooooohhh!

Seriously, he's bad. Really bad.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    Lol...now we all know that he couldn't tell the truth, that would mess up our team concept(lol), but in all honestly he did say the "right" thing as far as the media is concerned.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Message to Brett Romberg:

We do not want you to take over where Nick Leckey left off. Thank you and have a nice day.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Message to Brett Romberg:

We do not want you to take over where Nick Leckey left off. Thank you and have a nice day.
    From all accounts, looks like Romberg and the O-Line had a superb day ...