r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

St. Louis Rams Coach Spagnuolo Mum On Sale Talk

By Bill Coats
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

If coach Steve Spagnuolo has any thoughts on the sale talks that suddenly are swirling about his new team, he wasn’t interested in sharing them Tuesday after practice at Rams Park.

Noting that a statement issued Monday by owners Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez concluded by saying that until the investment firm of Goldman Sachs completed its review of the estate of their late mother, Georgia Frontiere – including the Rams, “there will be no further comment” on a potential sale, Spagnuolo told reporters:

“I’m going to respect that request by the family and the organization. So, I won’t address those questions. . . . There’s a reason why they put it out, and I’m going to respect it. That’s my job. So, I’m not going there.”

Spagnuolo also declined to say whether he has an “escape clause” in his contract that would allow him to break his deal with the team if it’s sold.

<><><>

Notes & quotes:

*First-round draft pick Jason Smith took reps at LT with the second unit. Previously, Smith had been used exclusively at RT.

*WR Travis Brown is out indefinitely with a cracked fibula, the smaller leg bone. He was injured Friday.

*DT Kirston Pittman remains on the sideline with a heel injury.

*WRs Keenan Burton (hamstring) and Derek Stanley (knee) still are limited.

*RB Antonio Pittman was back on the field after missing several practices because of family considerations.

*The team’s third and final minicamp runs from Thursday through Saturday. It is closed to the public.

*Training camp is scheduled to begin July 29 at Rams Park. Spagnuolo said he would vary the practice schedule. “It starts out (with morning and afternoon practices), it shifts gears after about four or five days. Two or three weeks into it, it’ll change again,” he explained. “We kind of gear things so that we can get ready to play a game. It’ll be physical and the guys will get some work in. You guys keep scaring me with all the heat, but I think we’ll be OK.”

All for now. . .

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams Coach Spagnuolo Mum On Sale Talk

1) Believe it or not, there is a big difference between playing LT and RT. If the Rams want Smith to play RT they should really leave him there so he can learn how.

2) It's beginning to look like Burton is going to be a problem. He was injured last year and he's already hurt again. Not a good sign

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    1) Believe it or not, there is a big difference between playing LT and RT. If the Rams want Smith to play RT they should really leave him there so he can learn how.
    Smith needs to learn both positions. Spags has gone on record stating versatility is at a premium. With the money Jason will be getting paid, he'll need to be able to play either side in a pinch. There is also the possibility he could beat out Barron for LT, causing Alex to move back to RT. Unlikely this year perhaps, yet possible ..

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Smith needs to learn both positions. Spags has gone on record stating versatility is at a premium. With the money Jason will be getting paid, he'll need to be able to play either side in a pinch. There is also the possibility he could beat out Barron for LT, causing Alex to move back to RT. Unlikely this year perhaps, yet possible ..
    This is what I would like to see actually. Smith is a stud at LT, I think he should stay there.

Remember what we did to Adam Carriker. We took him out of his natural position and look at him now...

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD413 View Post
    2) It's beginning to look like Burton is going to be a problem. He was injured last year and he's already hurt again. Not a good sign
    I was thinking the same thing. Let us recall that he was injured 2 out his 4 years at Kentucky, and now we are starting to see why he dropped to the fourth round last year.

I sincerely hope that he can get it together, but I'm really wondering if he just doesn't have the body to play major league football.

Oh well time will tell.

WHAT SAY YE?