Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

St. Louis Rams: Danario Alexander Believes Knee Issues Are A Thing Of The Past ..

By Shane Gray
    St. Louis, MO

Danario Alexander made his first appearance in 11 on 11 training camp drills Monday, a week later than he had hoped due to a hamstring issue, something that also slowed him down earlier in the offseason.

“My hamstring kind of bothered me,” Alexander acknowledged. “Not really sure how it happened but I’m just trying to stay healthy, just trying to keep everything together, keep it going.”

It seems that staying healthy and keeping it going is always the pressing issue with Alexander, better known as DX.

Alexander, who was actually ahead of 2009 first round pick Jeremy Maclin on the depth chart at the University of Missouri in 2007 before a wrist injury derailed him, has overcome three dreaded ACL tears in his left knee.

Alexander suffered all of his ACL injuries between 2007 and 2008.

Overcoming one ACL tear, once a career ending injury, is no small feat. Overcoming two is remarkable. Overcoming three is all but unheard of.

In spite of all the aforementioned injuries, Alexander still managed to lead the nation in receiving yards during his senior season at Mizzou.

However, Alexander hurt his knee again prior to the 2010 NFL Draft during Senior Bowl practices, leading him to his fourth left knee surgery, this time for cartilage repair. Although nothing near as severe as an ACL injury, it raised enough of a red flag, especially with the previous three ACL tears considered, to keep him from being drafted.

Of course, that eventually led him to signing with the St. Louis Rams as an undrafted free agent.

In 2010, Alexander played in eight games, hauling in a touchdown and a total of 20 receptions at 15.3 yards per catch.

In contrast, the rest of the St. Louis offense averaged just 9.9 yards per catch, less than 65 percent of Alexander’s per catch average.

In 2011, DX appeared in 10 games, hauling in two touchdowns and a total of 26 catches at an even better 16.6 yards each.

Again, in contrast, the remainder of the offense averaged 11.2 yards per reception, well under 70 percent of DX’s per catch norm.

So, for those asking why wait on Alexander, the answer can be seen above: he provides the ability to make big plays, a dimension that this offense desperately needs, at least until another deep threat develops, such as rookie Brian Quick or rookie Chris Givens, perhaps.

Jeff Fisher knows that Alexander can make plays, as he stated this Spring, via CBS Sports.

He can elevate and make those plays,” Fisher said. “It’s good to see it.”

Today, when asked if the athletic 6’5″ wideout who possesses a 40 plus inch vertical could theoretically help this offense, Fisher shared more.

“Absolutely, he’s got some talent and we just got to keep him out there,” Fisher said. ”That’s going to be the key.”

As for Alexander, he is ready to get back to work and make plays.

“I just got to come out here everyday,” Alexander said, ”and compete and make every play that I’m thrown to.”

Although he missed the first weekd of camp, DX does not feel that has set him back.

“No, not at all,” Alexander said confidently. “Maybe I took a step back but I feel like my abilities will be able to show and I’l be able to come out here and compete every day.”

“I’m healthy,” Alexander added, “feeling good and looking forward to the next few weeks.”

In addition, Alexander expressed optimism that he can stay healthy going forward, and, perhaps most importantly, expressed a belief that his knee issues, leading to those four aforementioned surgeries, is a thing of the past.

“I’ll be fine from here on out,” Alexander stated. “That’s my goal. That’s the plan right now.”

“Everything’s good,” Alexander continued. “I haven’t had any problems with my knee for however long so that’s kind of a thing of the past. I’m just looking forward to keeping this thing going.”

If he can keep it going and stay healthy from here on out, Alexander should stand a reasonable chance at earning one of six (and perhaps a maximum of seven) roster spots at wide receiver.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out, but Alexander, if nothing else, has learned to fight and has allowed all that he has been through to help him become a better man, not a bitter man, something that will always help him on and off the field, as he stated earlier this Summer in this piece for Andrew Astleford of foxsportsmidwest.com.

“I feel like the adversity I have been through has made me the person I am,” Alexander said. “It made me mentally tough, dealing with certain things that a lot of guys don’t deal with. For me to be able to come back every time and basically come back stronger, it’s truly a blessing. I carry it on the field with me.”

It is hard to predict what will happen with DX, but I, for one, will be pulling for him as he continues to fight and overcome what very few athletes ever have.

With Pettis suspended early on, DX should have a shot. It really is difficult to count this guy out, as just when it appears he's done for, he bounces back. Are his knees really better, or do they more closely resemble a pair of worn out shock absorbers? We really are relegated to guessing I suppose. It will really be interesting to see what Fish thinks when the time comes to pare down to 53 players ..

VegasRam is online now Ram MVP

Re: St. Louis Rams: Danario Alexander Believes Knee Issues Are A Thing Of The Past .

Here's hoping. His knee's actually been OK for 2 1/2 years now, (and I seem to recall a pretty good receiver for the Rams having extended hamstring problems).

Unless somehow he/his body is compensating for weak knees.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams: Danario Alexander Believes Knee Issues Are A Thing Of The Past .

With Pettis suspended early on, DX should have a shot. It really is difficult to count this guy out, as just when it appears he's done for, he bounces back. Are his knees really better, or do they more closely resemble a pair of worn out shock absorbers? We really are relegated to guessing I suppose. It will really be interesting to see what Fish thinks when the time comes to pare down to 53 players ..
    If he gets in games and makes the plays he's made in the past, it will he hard to cut him. He has too stay up and make plays... I hope he makes it hard on Fisher and co.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

As much as I want to believe him... a history of weak knees is just that. Unless they replaced his legs, I don't trust that his knee problems are behind him. Every time he goes down, I'll hold my breath until he gets up under his own power. That said, if he makes the plays that he has the ability to, as Rambos said, it'll be hard to cut him.

We just need to have a backup plan in case he does get hurt. If DX is the backup (plan), however, maybe that can work out pretty well. He's a damn good 4th or 5th.
    I believe!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    As much as I want to believe him... a history of weak knees is just that. Unless they replaced his legs, I don't trust that his knee problems are behind him. Every time he goes down, I'll hold my breath until he gets up under his own power. That said, if he makes the plays that he has the ability to, as Rambos said, it'll be hard to cut him.

We just need to have a backup plan in case he does get hurt. If DX is the backup (plan), however, maybe that can work out pretty well. He's a damn good 4th or 5th.
    You're right on, Teke. True, those DX knees are, or may be, ready to snap at any moment. Like driving on tires that have been patched, repaired, vulcanized enough times to where you can even 'feel' the bumps. Precarious at best. A ticking bomb.

Still, I fully support DX and wish him the best to overcome his physical problems, and suceed! GO DX!

ZiaRam is offline Registered User

You know DX is actually one of my favorite Rams over the last couple of years and since I naturally seem to side with the under dog I really would like to see him make the team and contribute. that game that he caught that bomb against the Chargers really got me in his corner expecially with all the adversity he has had to overcome! GO DX!

Judaxi is offline Registered User

I am a huge DX supporter, I have been ever since we signed him. However, I remember reading this exact same headline last year and got excited over it. Until he shows me the ability to consistently perform I don't believe it. Unfortunately I am a bit Jaded when it comes to Rams WR's so I don't believe anything I read about them

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Knee issues in the past, hamstring issues is the current.

THE DREAM TEAM

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User
    Knee issues, hamstring..... Different injuries, same results.

Once again, DX is not on the field.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

Rambos is offline Registered User

Danario Alexander must have known that the most dedicated bunch of St. Louis Rams fans were watching on Tuesday. Through two hours and a little more of practice the former Mizzou Tiger was making some spectacular catches, leaping skyward to pull down a ball well out of reach for most cornerbacks. On Wednesday, Alexander was back on the sidelines, watching his team practice without him.

"Yes, WR Danario's still struggling," head coach Jeff Fisher said. "He's not quite 100 percent, so we backed him down."
    Not looking good.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    Not looking good.
    No it's not. The only way he can earn a roster spot is if he's on the field. The Rams have been extremely patient with him the last few years, keeping him around because of his enormous talent, but if that talent can't be put to use, they'll have no choice but to let him go.

It's extremely disappointing to see him back on the sidelines, and looking more and more like his body is going to continue to let him down. The miracle man might just be out of miracles.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

"If DX can stay healthy he can do this, and if DX can stay healthy he can do that". Problem is, DX has proven time and time again he CANNOT stay healthy. He's back on the sideline after ONE practice. We shouldn't go on like this ...

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    "If DX can stay healthy he can do this, and if DX can stay healthy he can do that". Problem is, DX has proven time and time again he CANNOT stay healthy. He's back on the sideline after ONE practice. We shouldn't go on like this ...
    I think it's safe to say DX is out of "ifs".

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

The thing that would absolutely kill me is if the Rams finally cut him and another team gives him a chance, and he finally stays healthy and becomes the player we think he can become. I know at times you have to know when to fold em, but I'm terrible at poker and will ride a hopeless bluff all the way to being "all in", and then ride it all the way to out of chips. I don't play poker anymore.

Agrajag is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    The thing that would absolutely kill me is if the Rams finally cut him and another team gives him a chance, and he finally stays healthy and becomes the player we think he can become. I know at times you have to know when to fold em, but I'm terrible at poker and will ride a hopeless bluff all the way to being "all in", and then ride it all the way to out of chips. I don't play poker anymore.
    So well said ... like they say I hope he makes it hard on Fisher.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast