Rambos is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams Defense is Solid

St. Louis Rams Defense is Solid, Offense Still a No-Show in Loss to Redskins by Ron Clements
    Ron ClementsScribe, Featured Columnist
    45 articles written
    346 comments written
    26 fans
    View Profile
    Send a Message

Scribe Written on September 20, 2009
    (Photo by Win McNamee/Getty Images) The St. Louis Rams got one side of the ball playing well, while the other is still playing catch-up.

The Rams defense held Washington without a touchdown in five red zone possessions, but the offense was limited to just 245 yards. Washington was able to get three Shaun Suisham field goals, and held off a late rally for a 9-7 win over the visiting Rams.

Steven Jackson was the lone offensive bright spot for the Rams, gaining 104 rushing yards on 17 carries, and adding four catches for 15 yards.

Washington dominated time of possession, slowly wearing down a solid Rams defense to control the clock late.

Still, the Rams had a shot at a game-winning drive in the final two minutes, but Marc Bulger threw three straight incompletions on the final possession.

Bulger completed barely over 50 percent of his passes, going 15-of-28 for 125 yards. It didn't help that Donnie Avery and Randy McMichael were plagued by drops. Avery also lost a fumble inside the Redskins' 10 late in the game.

"I am proud of how hard the team fought," Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo told the Rams Radio Network. "We are disappointed. There are no moral victories in football. We were a play or two away. There are positives here, but there are details we have to iron or else we’ll continue giving games away."

The Rams were able to score their first points of the year as Bulger connected with Laurent Robinson for a five-yard score with 3:57 remaining in the second quarter. The touchdown was set up by a 58-yard Jackson run, and gave the Rams a 7-6 lead.

Despite O.J. Atogwe forcing a fumble late in the first half to prevent a Redskins score, the offensive ineptitude squandered a pretty good defensive performance.

They weren't without faults, however. The Rams gave Jason Campbell a lot of time in the pocket to find receivers. Campbell was only sacked once—by James Hall—and the Rams run defense was inconsistent.

What hurt the Rams the most on defense was the same thing that plagued them last week at Seattle—an inability to cover the tight end. A week after John Carlson burned St. Louis with six catches for 95 yards and two scores, Chris Cooley grabbed seven balls for 83 yards.

With Green Bay's tight end duo of Donald Lee and Jermichael Finley coming to St. Louis next week, that should make most Rams fans cringe at the prospect of what those two might be able to do with Aaron Rodgers tossing them the ball.

chow184 is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams Defense is Solid

the rams D is improving but they got gassed between the 20's and zorn's inept redzone playcalling got stuffed by a competent defensive coach in spags.

JFMose is offline Registered User

You mean our redzone defense is solid?

Other than that we didn't do too well.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

We let them move down the field. We need more pressure on the QB. I really think Adeyanju needs to play next week. We gotta see what he can do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'll take giving up yards all day long. I'll give up field goals all day long. With anything approaching a competent offense, giving up three field goals equals a win. Bad playcalling from the Skins or not, our redzone defense was extremely solid today and I think it'll only continue to get better under Spags. Maybe next week we'll start getting stops before the redzone!

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

The Red Skins are non-to imaginative on offense...pity the same can be said of the Ram offense.Thing is I didn't predict the Red Skins to go anywhere this season so haven't been paying attention to them to know what Kinda gutt-check this game was/is

Warner4prez is offline Registered User

I thought the Redskins moved the ball at will. Rams D really had nothing to show on 3rd downs other than slumped shoulders. Yes it's great that the D didn't let them score in the redzone, but when Arizona or N'Oleans rolls to town they're gonna have to show a little more heart when stopping the pass...especially on do or die 3rd downs.

blood85 is offline Registered User

We look like an "0-2" team.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Well, it is nice to read that our defense is 'solid'.

I mean it. They did, afterall, keep the Skins from scoring a TD, and this time the opponents totaled 9 points. There are good and definite indications that the Rams D is playing with conviction, even if today that effort only yielded another deeply disappointing defeat. // I did not watch the game but I feel (somewhat) proud of them and I really hope that Coach Spags will manage to keep their morale high and strong for the next battle.

...Offensive ineptitude
    Now if only they can get the needed support from that offense! Let's see what TX has to say about the D.

THEFIELDGOAL is offline Registered User

WE all were hoping for a better outing but a positive is a score. The offensive mishaps really hurt our ability to make this a one sided game. The receivers really should revisit the drops. Those caused us key yardage and opportunities in the red zone.
    Defensively like everyone is seeing we will get better. It was a moral positive from last week's horrible outing in seattle.
    Coach Spags knows he has to do a better job of offensive calling but receivers still need to catch the balls intended. The QB also needs to be better at making throws that matter. Bulger is struggling.
    Jackson looked ok. He will get better with better blocking. Once that happens he will make huge strides and more scoring within the red zone.
    I was impressed with Robinson ala Torry Holt leaping ability. I would like to see more.
    9-7 is a lot better to muster that 28-0 loss but it's still a loss.
    THE FIELD GOAL

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Our offensive woes have a lot to do with the playcalling. Jackson had 16 carries last week and 17 this week. That isn't enough. I understand we want a balanced attack, but we need to run the ball 25+ times a game. Our receivers are just too young and inexperienced for us to be throwing as much as we are.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Our D so far is no doubt an improvement from last year but I still wouldn't say solid. Our red zone D was awesome, but after that it was not so hot. The offense needs to help our D out by driving down field some so even if we have to punt, the opposing team ends up with bad field position.