throwback week

RamWraith is offline Registered User

The St. Louis Rams Are a Disgrace

By Bernie Miklasz

Thereís never an excuse for a lack of effort, and so in wake of the 47-3 loss to the NY Jets, thereís no reason to give the Rams any benefit of the doubt. Or empathy.

Not when they lose this game by 44 points after being down 40-0 at the half Ö

40-0! Itís beyond belief. And we have a new entry for one of the worst performances by a team in STLís NFL history.

And thatís really saying something.

The Rams didnít put their heads or their hearts into this game, and the unwillingness to compete was a blow to head coach Jim Haslett. When Haslett took over for Scott Linehan, the team initially responded to the coaching change, and it was invigorating for a few weeks.

But on Sunday the Rams tanked it under Haslett, just the way they did in the first four games for Linehan.

This game at the Meadowlands looked a lot like the season-opening surrender at Philadelphia.

The Jets came out on their first possession and just plowed the Rams under with an 8-play, 80-yard TD drive that established dominance. The Rams front seven offered no resistance. They just didnít man up. There is no other way to put it. The Jets just did whatever they wanted to do with the football in the first half, and finished the game with 206 yards rushing, averaging 4.8 yards per carry. The defense did not stand up to the Jetsí attack. It caved in.

The Rams offense was buried under, too. The offensive line didnít compete, and got tossed around, and that set up the predictable disaster. This line is stocked with players who should be better than they are. Tackles Orlando Pace and Alex Barron are first-round draft picks. Right guard Richie Incognito was a No. 3 pick. The Rams gave a pile of free-agent dollars to left guard Jacob Bell. Only center Nick Leckey came here as a retread type of player. I donít think what weíre seeing up front has as much to do with talent as it does with competitiveness.

In the last three games, all losses, the Rams have rushed 63 times for 196 yards, or 3.1 per carry. That doesnít include scrambles by the QBs. And on the other side, Rams defenders canít stop the run.

When you consistently get your tail kicked in the pit on both sides of the ball, thereís not much to work with.

This is an incredibly soft team, one thatís rotting to the core.

These players didnít want to play for Linehan.

Now, at least on Sunday, they didnít show up for Haslett.

So who, exactly, do they want to play for? What will inspire them?

Money hasnít motivated them, thatís for sure. Many of the biggest contracts handed out by Rams management have resulted in a tremendous waste of money. QB Marc Bulger has gone into the tank after signing a big deal. Theyíve gotten little out of Steven Jackson after he inked his large deal. Bell so far is a bust. WR Torry Holt canít run away from defenders any more, and is no longer worth the money heís receiving. WR Drew Bennett is one of the worst FA signings in NFL history. The loose defense has several guys who havenít produced to the level of their contracts, and that list includes MLB Will Witherspoon, OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa, DE Leonard Little and SS Corey Chavous.

And donít get me started on all of the bad draft picks ó Iíll save that for another time. But looking at some recent No. 1s, eternally injured CB Tye Hill is a total flop to this point, and I donít see much from DT Adam Carriker that gets me fired up. And you could probably find a guy on the street who could get more done at TE than Joe Klopfenstein, a 2nd-round washout.

Itís easy to bash the coaches all of the time, but when you have so many players who are weak competitors, the only solution is a complete overhaul. The only way the Rams will find their way back is to clean out the locker room, and rid themselves of a mentality thatís been contaminated by losing.

Since Derek Stanleyís long catch-and-run for a TD early in the Arizona game, the Rams have been outscored 81-9.

Thatís right: 81-9.

(Sidebar: Iíll offer a contrast: the Kansas City Chiefs arenít a talented team, but at least they battle. As I type this Iím watching the Chiefs on the road at San Diego right now, and I donít know how the game will turn out, but the Chiefs are giving the Chargers a helluva game. At least theyíre playing instead of quitting).

Haslett can help the situation by identifying competitors and given them an opportunity. I donít care where they were drafted, or if theyíre too young, or if theyíd be taking the place of a more expensive player. It doesnít matter. Play the competitors.

Trent Green, for example, at least approaches the game with energy and will go down fighting. Is he the long-term answer at QB? Of course not. And his second-half numbers were Bulger-like. Green also threw an awful INT. But the offense did respond to Green, and the Rams did move the ball, and there was a spark. For that reason alone, I canít imagine why any coach would stick with Bulger at this point.

Bulger looks like heíd rather be standing anywhere except a football field. In his last eight quarters, Bulger has completed only 30 of 66 passes with 4 INTs and 2 lost fumbles. I know that Bulger doesnít have the benefit of a strong line, or a respectable running game. Heís up against it. He canít do it alone. I know. But this is largely a game of will, a game of attitude and edge. And after a brief revival against Washington and Dallas, Bulger has backed up again. He just doesnít compete ó not the way he should be as a leader of the team.

(Sidebar: I hear talk-show hosts, those comical Bulger apologists, wanting to always link Bulgerís poor play to the absence of the injured Steven Jackson. And obviously, when Jackson has a good game, itís going to help the QB. But hereís a memo to you boys: since the start of the 2005 season, the Rams are 18-32 when Jackson plays. This isnít exactly a game-changing, franchise-changing back.)

Those who donít compete shouldnít start, or play.

Playing time should be earned .

(Sidebar: Hah! It just occured to me that this would leave the Rams with about 12 players, give or take a few Ö but you get my point).

After the murder at the Meadowlands, a frustrated Haslett alluded to his roster and said: ďEither they donít want to do it, or theyíre not good enough to do it.Ē

The problem is the Rams have too many players in both categories.

Thatís why they are 5-20 since the beginning of the 2007 season.

-B

eldfan is offline Registered User

Re: The St. Louis Rams Are a Disgrace

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bernie Miklasz

Money hasnít motivated them, thatís for sure. Many of the biggest contracts handed out by Rams management have resulted in a tremendous waste of money. QB Marc Bulger has gone into the tank after signing a big deal. Theyíve gotten little out of Steven Jackson after he inked his large deal. Bell so far is a bust. WR Torry Holt canít run away from defenders any more, and is no longer worth the money heís receiving. WR Drew Bennett is one of the worst FA signings in NFL history. The loose defense has several guys who havenít produced to the level of their contracts, and that list includes MLB Will Witherspoon, OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa, DE Leonard Little and SS Corey Chavous.

-B
    When we come out like that what can you say. No leadership I am a shame.
    :ramlogo:

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

(Sidebar: I hear talk-show hosts, those comical Bulger apologists, wanting to always link Bulgerís poor play to the absence of the injured Steven Jackson. And obviously, when Jackson has a good game, itís going to help the QB. But hereís a memo to you boys: since the start of the 2005 season, the Rams are 18-32 when Jackson plays. This isnít exactly a game-changing, franchise-changing back.)

OUCH.

We're going to be in deep crap for many years to come.
    Last edited by GreatestShow99; -11-09-2008 at 09:42 PM.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Coming from BMiklasz, I don't give much credit. We're down and out, so true, but I'd rather discuss our shame with someone else.

mhall39 Guest

It is true. Bulger has been doing bad but he's pretty much been doing everything. Hopefully we will get Steven Jackson back this week to play against San Francisco because Antonio Pittman hasn't been doing really anything. No one has. Bulger is a great QB dont get me wrong. He needs a new o line. The D needs to get pumped and motivated. I wish the best to the rams.
    Last edited by mhall39; -11-09-2008 at 09:31 PM. Reason: team was starred out??

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

I challenge anyone with half a brain to dispute one thing Bernie Miklasz said. He's 100% right on all counts. The worst thing that can be said of an athlete is that he's a quitter, and the Rams are full of them. They have guys who are soft, fold under pressure and don't compete. When things get tough, they collapse. It is an indictment of your character when you don't compete and don't bring everything you have every Sunday.

The offensive line is a disgrace. Barron epitomizes softness. Incognito is a dumb player with no poise. Bell has been a disappointment when healthy. The tight end position is a cesspool of lousy players other than Mcmichael who's hurt. Drew Bennett is a complete waste of a player who (ho hum) is currently hurt. I've never seen an athlete get so old in a hurry as what I've witnessed from Torry Holt- he looks like he's 45 years old out there. There's no pass rush at all. The defensive backs are terrible. One of the Jets receivers was open by nearly 30 yards early in the game today- just unheard of at the professional level. Bulger has fallen hard and it remains to be seen if he can ever resurrect his once promising career.

Brandon Manumaleauna, London Fletcher, Kevin Curtis, Mike Furrey, John St. Clair, Shaun McDonald and Dre Bly are among the players the Rams have allowed to slip away via free agency or trade who are productive elsewhere. You reap what you sow.

A team that is poor but competes is deserving of loyalty. A team filled with soft, non-competitive players with no fire in their bellies who lay down like dogs don't deserve anything but scorn. I'm more disgusted with this team than I've ever been and that's saying something. To sit in the stands today at the Meadowlands was humiliating and a complete waste of day. Half this roster should be released at season's end- we probably don't have more than 15-18 players on the entire team that know what it takes to compete and win at this level.

So much for the players responding to Haslett and to those idiots who wanted him in there full time after we beat Dallas. A fish stinks from the head up- and these coaches should all be gone also. Lack of talent is frustrating but understandable; lack of effort is NEVER acceptable and is a reflection of your coaches.

It's the 1990's all over again.

unorthodox1999 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    Coming from BMiklasz, I don't give much credit. We're down and out, so true, but I'd rather discuss our shame with someone else.
    yeah really....SJ isnt a game changing back??..this team is no good and cant do anything to help itself, ONE guy CANT be a franchise changing guy without good people around him. I mean damn look at how many rings barry sanders has...

This game was absolutely disgusting and pathetic and im by no means defending the fact that sj hasnt been amazing or running like a bull, but i would much rather have him on the field and lose than have him on the sidelines..