r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

St. Louis Rams' Donnie Avery Works On Durability

St. Louis Rams' Donnie Avery works on durability
    BY BILL COATS
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    06/12/2010

By trying to simultaneously give up meat and fried foods, Rams wide receiver Donnie Avery bit off more than he could chew. "I got burned out with it," he said. "So I cheat once a week and eat fried food."

Still, Avery mostly is sticking to chicken and fish, with heavy helpings of fruits and vegetables. He's hoping that an improved diet, plus 10 pounds of muscle added in the weight room, will increase his durability.

Nagging injuries from a cracked hip to a stress fracture in his foot to a strained shoulder hindered Avery during his first two seasons since the Rams made him the first wideout taken (second round, No. 33 overall) in the 2008 draft.

Avery missed only one game, but he rarely was in top shape on Sundays.

"It's frustrating, because you know you're not playing at a hundred percent," he said. "But at the same time you're still out there trying help the team as much as possible."

After the '09 season, coach Steve Spagnuolo suggested that Avery try to bulk up a bit.

"We talked about that before he left in January, that every time you catch the ball in the NFL, you've got to pop right back up and go in the huddle and make it look like nothing hurts," Spagnuolo said. "You've got to be durable, and one of the things about being durable is getting your body right. I think it's helping him.

"Now, we don't know; we haven't hit anything yet. But hopefully that'll work out."

For the organized team activities and the full-squad minicamp under way at Rams Park, the players aren't permitted to don pads, and contact is not allowed, per NFL rule.

The 5-foot-11 Avery added 14 pounds, up to 198, but wasn't comfortable. "It's kind of trial and error," he said. "I felt a little bit sluggish, so I had to lose some of that weight. I feel good with the 10 right now that I put on."

Avery's numbers slipped a bit last season from his rookie year. His receptions fell to 47 from 53 and his receiving yardage dipped to 589 from 674. "But my touchdowns went up last year" to five from three, he pointed out. "So that was a positive."

So far, his spring workouts have been a positive, too. "It's going great," Avery said. "Second year in the (offensive) system, and I feel a lot more comfortable in it."

Avery made a couple of acrobatic grabs at Friday's practice, which caught Spagnuolo's eye. "He looked really good today," Spagnuolo said. "I've been really happy with what Donnie's done. He'll tell you he's been inconsistent, because he's a pro and he wants to catch every ball. But I think he's doing a nice job."

A LITTLE BREAK

Two practices were scheduled for Friday, but Spagnuolo called off the second one in favor of a special "team activity" he took the players and coaches to a bowling alley. "We're going to see how talented these guys are at rolling that ball," Spagnuolo said.

He added that the players had earned the break after three weeks of OTAs and the first two minicamp workouts. "I think they've worked pretty hard," Spagnuolo said.

RAM-BLINGS

Defensive end Chris Long was excused from practice because of a death in his family. ... Cornerback Kevin Dockery was back on the field. He sprained his right ankle Monday. ... Minicamp will conclude with a single practice today. The players won't return until training camp opens in late July at Rams Park.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: St. Louis Rams' Donnie Avery Works On Durability

It's good that Avery is working on his durability.

The wide receivers this year need to stay healthy to help our quarterback, because obviously our linemen cannot due to the fact that many of them are getting injured without PADS on.

I hope Avery is more durable this year. If he can stay in for the whole season, I think he will be one of the more productive WRs on this team, along with Robinson.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Avery is saying and doing all the right things. Hopefully this is his breakout out season.

theodus69 Guest

Sam needs all hands on the ball and that will produce a high volume of points, I see and I feel it!!!

chucknbob is offline Registered User

Glad to hear he's working on durability. Next, I hope he works on holding onto the ball.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

St Louis Rams' Donnie Avery Works on Durability, nearing completion of his Iron Man suit.
    Semper Fi!