throwback week

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams fans must be patient with team's new management

By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Jan. 27 2009
    Unlike building a house, the reconstruction of a football franchise begins from
    the top, not the bottom. So for now, the heavy action at Rams Park is happening
    on the second floor of the building, where new coaches are beginning to fill up
    the empty office space.

The surprisingly orderly process of fixing the Rams began with Billy Devaney's
    empowerment as the new general manager, then his thorough hunt for a new head
    coach. And now, Steve Spagnuolo's staff is taking shape every day, and soon
    enough Spags and his new coaches will get together with Devaney and his
    expanding staff of personnel men.

What should come of those brainstorming sessions should prove to be the moves
    that will put the ultimate final touches on this imposing franchise face-lift:

Picking the right players.

There is nothing more critical to an organization that has failed miserably at
    this task for far too long. There is a reason why the Rams have sunk so far
    down on the NFL's strength chart, and it goes right to bad decisions on player
    acquisitions. How bad have the Rams fared on draft day? Well, consider that
    from the five draft classes between 2000 and 2004, there are only three players
    remaining on the active roster: Chris Massey ('02), Pisa Tinoisamoa ('03) and
    Steven Jackson ('04).

Even if you take into consideration the normal erosion of free agency, that is
    a shameful record of failure by the folks who used to work the draft. Those are
    the drafts that should have built the veteran core for the Rams, but instead
    they merely highlight the gross incompetence of the men no longer in charge.
    Just as glaring is the fact that the nine draft classes of this decade have
    produced only one Pro Bowl player (Jackson).

The good news is that real football people are running things again, which
    means that we're beyond the days of selecting players for all the wrong reasons.

So, despite the very public man-crushes that draftniks are already developing
    with certain prominent college stars, and the guesswork that is happening
    across the Internet, here's a word of advice:

Slow your roll.

The Rams are nowhere close to determining which direction they are going with
    that very valuable first-round pick in the upcoming NFL draft.

There's too much time left. Too many evaluations to be done. There's free
    agency shopping to be done, combine workouts, Senior Bowl film work, pro-day
    workouts and hundreds of hours worth of carefully detailed scouting reports to
    evaluate.

Yeah, it's fun to guess what they're going to do with the second pick, but
    that's all speculation. Until the Rams determine what answers to their
    personnel questions can come from free agency and which ones are better solved
    through the draft, all these polls and chat room conversations are based on
    nothing more than conjecture.

Of course, if you want guesswork, I can play along. Michael Crabtree. Yes, it
    has to be the game-changing wide receiver from Texas Tech. That's a popular
    pick, and it might even make sense if the Rams are able to sign a beast of an
    offensive tackle or two in free agency. But knowing what I have learned about
    the particular habits of the Rams' general manager, it's foolhardy to speculate
    what's on Devaney's mind.

Every time we think he should zig, he zags. Every time we expect him to zag, he
    zigs. As he has shown with the head-coaching process, he doesn't readily tip
    his hand in public (thus the almost comical guessing that transpired among some
    of the best national NFL insiders during the 72 hours before Spagnuolo was
    finally hired).

Here's what I do know. It's too early to bother guessing which direction he's
    going in. So much can change between now and the draft in April. It really
    doesn't matter what Mel Kiper or Todd McShay's draft boards say the Rams will
    do, because there's too much time between now and when the clock ticks off the
    final seconds before the Rams use that second pick in the first round.

It's not important what the draftniks' boards look like, only what the Rams'
    board looks like once Devaney's scouting department gets finished examining the
    top talents available. With one Devaney draft to use as a guide, we already
    know he doesn't care much for conventional wisdom.

A year ago, draft experts were shrieking when the Rams picked Donnie Avery in
    the second round with the 33rd pick. No one could understand why, with every
    wide receiver still on the board after 32 picks, the Rams took a swift deep
    threat from Houston who was rated no better than the fourth or fifth best pass
    catcher by all the draft experts.

As it turned out, Devaney was right. He knew exactly what he was looking for
    a dangerous burner with world-class speed who could stretch the field. On the
    Rams' board, Avery fit their needs better than any other receiver available.

So, instead of indulging in all the guessing games, the smartest game to play
    is one of patience. I know this is going to take some time to get used to, but
    it really does seem like this new regime at Rams Park actually knows what it's
    doing.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: St. Louis Rams fans must be patient with team's new management

So what are you saying? The 2nd floor at RAMS park knows better than us the fans?

Please, get off of your high horse!!!

Patience.....??

May I remind you of the 2008 Miami Dolphins and Atlanta Falcons!!!

RAMPAGE! Guest

Yes they need to improve steadily over the next two years before they return to LA so they can get the PSL prices up. I can see spags as a poor mans jack nicholson

Truth is offline Registered User

I believe that it will take time to make the changes and to see how they work. I believe that is true for the players, coaching staff, and especially the FO. I find it interesting that people keep saying that "Football People" are now running the team. I think it's way too early to make that assumption. Chip and Lucia are not what I would call "Football People". They own the team. Yes, Ziggy is gone but Shaw is still a trusted advisor for the owners. This might still cause some issues. I remember reading that our new HC wasn't necessarily Devaney's 1st choice, and that Shaw's input to the owners made the difference, of course it's a rumor and could completely false. The point is that until this ship starts moving, we're not going to really know who's at the helm. Only time will tell.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Patience is great for the Rams but boring as all get out for message boards. So everyone, please do not be patient. Let us know how smart you think you may be and how stupid someone like Devaney is. Tell why we should take a K in the first round.

HornIt Guest

Oh what the heck. I don't see it as that complicated right now.

I think they will do one of the following three things with the #2 pick overall:

1. Select Crabtree
    2. Select Monroe (possible other OT)
    3. Trade down

Whatever they do though, I'm more than willing to be patient with the Devaney/Spags experiment. I'd like to see them work together for a couple years and then look at the progress that has or hasn't been made before breaking out the torches and pitchforks.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Fans should be impatient and loyal. Those are not mutually exclusive concepts.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Does that mean I can be on the nice and naughty list?

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

im pretty cool about what happens next year..we have already made some great strides IMHO.

guys and dolls.,Ziggy is gone...B.D. is in power..Linehan has gone...Spags has come.

with only limited tweaking on the playing staff,we should still expect more wins than 2 next year..thats progress enough for me when you consider the 2008 season isnt over till sunday and two waves of Free agency and the draft lay ahead.

what i am expecting which we havent seen more than fleetingly for atleast 2 years is to see some REAL competitive football,to regain some respect off the Cowboy loving media and not to be thinking about who we gonna pick in the draft,when its only October!!!

i do believe that for the first time in many years..almost every one of the Rams fans around the world and beyond actually have some faith in both the GM & the HC...it sure damn feels good to be united after all our various divisions in the past.

Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Agree 100%.

Patience with respect to players is acceptable, to a point. They need to develop, but they get injured. But they are professional athletes, so not to much.

Patience is not something I am ready to give to a coaching staff and front office. They need to teach, manage and coach. There is no excuse for not doing that. They don't get injured. Even if they have a difficult athlete to deal with, it's their job to deal with it. Their job to evaluate talent and develop it.

Nope, stupid is as stupid does. We've learned this with Brooks, Linehan and many others.
    Semper Fi!

mde8352gorams is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    Patience is great for the Rams but boring as all get out for message boards. So everyone, please do not be patient. Let us know how smart you think you may be and how stupid someone like Devaney is. Tell why we should take a K in the first round.

Aren't you overlooking the TE position?

Go Rams!

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    By Bryan Burwell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Tuesday, Jan. 27 2009

Here's what I do know. It's too early to bother guessing which direction he's
    going in. So much can change between now and the draft in April. It really
    doesn't matter what Mel Kiper or Todd McShay's draft boards say the Rams will
    do, because there's too much time between now and when the clock ticks off the
    final seconds before the Rams use that second pick in the first round.

It's not important what the draftniks' boards look like, only what the Rams'
    board looks like once Devaney's scouting department gets finished examining the
    top talents available. With one Devaney draft to use as a guide, we already
    know he doesn't care much for conventional wisdom.
    I like that, I like him being open minded about the pick.
    :ramlogo:

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by bruce4life View Post
    Does that mean I can be on the nice and naughty list?
    Well yes, but that also means you'll be getting both Jack Youngblood and Lawrence Phillips throwbacks this Christmas.

AlphaRam Guest

Uh, no, I don't have to be patient.

How about I get reimbursed for my trip to the game against the Eagles in Philly when I showed up and the team didn't?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post

I thought a fellow Texan should know this. If you do not have a world class kicker on your team drafted in the first round, you will lose the Super Bowl because you cannot kick the game winning field goal.

Btw Bar-bq, did they even make Lawrence Phillips jerseys?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast