RamWraith is offline Registered User

St. Louis Rams' games no picnic for broadcasters

By Dan Caesar
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    12/19/2008

Getting the call to broadcast a Rams game is sort of like cashing a winning lottery ticket for $5. It's better than nothing, but not exactly the Big Kahuna.

Matt Vasgersian has been Fox's sacrificial Rams broadcaster four times this season, including last weekend when he called the epic clash between 2-11 teams the Rams and Seattle Seahawks.

Vasgersian and partner JC Pearson have had a steady dose of some of the NFL's dregs in recent seasons. But Vasgersian, who is leaving Fox soon to become the primary host of the new MLB Network, has an interesting perspective on the assignments.

"We've had plenty of Lions and Chiefs and Raiders games, too, the last couple of years, so we know how to polish up a turd pretty good,'' he said. "We're not getting A and B games, and after the A and B games are assigned the networks all tell you'' that

everything else is equal, "which we know is not quite accurate. But not everybody can do the Giants and the Cowboys and the Patriots every week.''

He said that when he sees the Rams on the assignment sheet, he is more concerned whether they are at home or on the road than being stuck with a lousy team. The Edward Jones Dome isn't his favorite venue from which to work.

"That building's pretty dreary, man,'' he said. "That's a little more trouble than having them on the road, because the building stinks and there's just no energy in there. That's one of those things you look at and go, 'Oh man, are we the Z crew?'""''

Vasgersian is no stranger to strong comments about the St. Louis market. He had been the San Diego Padres' television play-by-play announcer before giving up that assignment to take the MLB job, and while broadcasting a game from Busch Stadium in August 2007 said Cardinals fans should get in their El Caminos and drive back to the Ozarks.

He said that was a joke. But he also was heard that night in comments that weren't intended to be broadcast: "I'm done with this place. I'm so tired of losing here. It's hotter than (bleep). We get our (butts) kicked every time we come here. I'm not coming here next year."

He finds it somewhat ironic that he's been working a lot of football games involving a lousy St. Louis team.

"Karma's a *****,'' he said, chuckling.

But while he doesn't mind taking shots, the Rams could be too easy of a target for broadcasters.

"The first thing I think is, 'Damn, how do we not pile on because the temptation is to crush, crush, crush. None of us want to do that, it's not good for anybody, although there are times it's deserved."

Sam Rosen gets Ram-shackled this week, and will be working with analyst Tim Ryan and sideline reporter Chris Myers for the contest between the 5-9 San Francisco ***** and the 2-12 Rams.

But if you are in the St. Louis area Sunday, you won't be seeing their work. The game is blacked out locally and figures to be played in front of thousands of empty seats.

"The sad thing from my standpoint is that you're missing a large part of the audience,'' Rosen said. "As a broadcaster, you want as many people as possible bringing eyeballs to the TV set. I'll never insult anybody, never put anybody down, you just hope to have a good game.''

He acknowledged that he wasn't exactly thrilled when the assignment was made.

"The initial reaction was, OK, who did I tick off to get this game?'' Rosen said. "We all have the competitive juices that we would love a game that has meaning toward the playoffs. But once you get to the game, in all honesty you just do the game. ... We've had games that on paper look terrible but end up being good. You hope that happens.''

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: St. Louis Rams' games no picnic for broadcasters

Matt Vasgersian has been Fox's sacrificial Rams broadcaster four times this season, including last weekend when he called the epic clash between 2-11 teams the Rams and Seattle Seahawks.
    The answer: 5,998,044,234

The question: How many people do I care about more than Matt Vasgersian?

I am more concerned about a decent thread count on Charles Manson's sheets in prison than I am about Vasgersian's opinion of St. Louis.

I am more concerned about Alec Baldwin being able to put food on his table in this recession than I am about Vasgersian's opinion of St. Louis.

I am more concerned about the happiness of Terrell Owens, Randy Moss, and Chad Johnson than I am about Vasgersian's opinion of St. Louis.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

I would be more than happy to cover any and all RAMS games since this idiot doesn't want to!

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

If its such a hardship, there is always the option of getting a real job.

Nick_Weasel is offline Registered User

Maybe if he were a half-decent announcer he wouldn't get stuck with the Rams games. Every time I see him and JC "Tiger Woods" Pearson at the start of the game I cringe.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Weasel View Post
    Maybe if he were a half-decent announcer he wouldn't get stuck with the Rams games. Every time I see him and JC "Tiger Woods" Pearson at the start of the game I cringe.
    You cannot imagine how much this thread has irritated me. And it shouldn't, because I shouldn't care about the a-clowns, who don't even have a real job, but probably get payed like doctors and lawyers ...

Unbelievable how selfish they can be, they care about nothing but themselves. No matter how annoying some announcers can be, such as Aikman and Buck, I very seriously doubt you would ever hear them make comments like these ...

Matty V. feels like he needs to pile it on because these teams deserve it? Big comments from a little man who probably cannot even fill our a childs jockstrap ...
    Last edited by HUbison; -12-19-2008 at 02:40 PM. Reason: I appreciate the sentiment, but....